Author Topic: Camping out for any reason.  (Read 43025 times)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Camping out for any reason.
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 09:49:41 AM »
You mean I was supposed to hose down the so-called waterproof tent BEFORE I took it camping? No wonder the floor was real wet and the walls in places.   :banghead:  Box didn't say to do that.  :censored:

Umm, Canvak is your friend.

No need to pre-soak your tent.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 10:04:12 AM »
Umm, Canvak is your friend.

No need to pre-soak your tent.

Nonetheless, something should specified in the set up directions for a tent.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 10:31:37 AM »
Nonetheless, something should specified in the set up directions for a tent.

This was probably 25 years ago.... I haven't been camping since. I don't think I even have anything left from that trip.

I went out and bought a really nice 4person - supposedly waterproof tent (had screen windows & doorway), 3 blow up mattresses ( 2 single and 1 double), 4 sleeping bags, stove, camp cookware, lanterns, the whole shebang. Tent got wet on the walls, floor puddled, air mattresses leaked and I had to pee in a hole dug in the ground.  :censored:

I kept the stuff for years. Kids used their sleeping bags. I used the camp stove when we lost power for 5 days from a horrendous snow storm. Eventually sold it all in a garage sale for pretty much nothing...

Like I said... my idea of camping is a hotel without room service... and I have "camped" in some realllly nice places!  :-)

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 10:34:36 AM »
This was probably 25 years ago.... I haven't been camping since. I don't think I even have anything left from that trip.

I went out and bought a really nice 4person - supposedly waterproof tent (had screen windows & doorway), 3 blow up mattresses ( 2 single and 1 double), 4 sleeping bags, stove, camp cookware, lanterns, the whole shebang. Tent got wet on the walls, floor puddled, air mattresses leaked and I had to pee in a hole dug in the ground.  :censored:

I kept the stuff for years. Kids used their sleeping bags. I used the camp stove when we lost power for 5 days from a horrendous snow storm. Eventually sold it all in a garage sale for pretty much nothing...

Like I said... my idea of camping is a hotel without room service... and I have "camped" in some realllly nice places!  :-)

Any tent will wick in water if you brush up against or lean into the walls.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »

Little kids roll into walls...  :whatever:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline CG6468

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2013, 10:38:05 AM »
Little kids roll into walls...  :whatever:

Yep. And that causes some water problems if it's raining.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2013, 10:45:39 AM »
Yep. And that causes some water problems if it's raining.

Especially if you are camped at bottom of a hill...  :censored:

Offline CG6468

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 11:05:45 AM »
Especially if you are camped at bottom of a hill...  :censored:

Same thing happens with dew.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 11:31:38 AM »
Same thing happens with dew.

It tickles...

If one is good...

Dog dew...

edit sw
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 12:06:47 PM »

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2013, 12:20:40 PM »

The nylon ones will, I've got several. The old Sears canvas tent I have? Nope. But it sure stinks like a canvas tent.  :-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline CG6468

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 12:55:32 PM »
We had an old Sears canvas tent that would wick like crazy.

Offline Hathcock

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »
I want this tent
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes: if you **** with me, I'll kill you all! - USMC General James Mattis.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »
I want this tent
That's the Griswold's tent !
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »
I want this tent

That's canvas over a wooden platform.

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »
Tent camping as a Boy Scout, then Adult Boy Scout leader.  Have camped all four seasons in tents.  Until 'old fart syndrome got me - now it's hotel only.
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2013, 06:58:03 PM »
I want this tent

Meeee toooooo!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline thundley4

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2013, 07:17:42 PM »
A bunch  of us kids used to camp out in the summer in an empty field in the neighborhood. No sleeping bags, just a blanket to sleep on and a light blanket to keep mosquitoes off, a small fire helped.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 07:23:15 PM »
I have gone camping when a young scout.  I have gone RVing as an adult.  Both have their merits.  I am currently RVing  in a 30' Diesel Pusher up in Nova Scotia where the most primitive thing is the Wi-Fi connection.  The RV is  a very fancy hotel room.  Of course it can get a little nerve racking when you are playing dueling diesels with a double bottom semi going down hill into a turn and you have a tow on the back making you around fifty feet or so.  You have to be alert all the time when driving and anticipate what is coming up. Hills and horse power are what it is all about. I drive a 3126 Cat that makes 250 hp backed up by an Allison 6 speed which can be a bit tough to coax up some grades when towing fully loaded if I get backed up behind heavy loaded semis.

Up here in the Provinces I have seen tons of dualies pulling huge fifth wheels and way more camper dealers than down in the states.    
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 02:20:54 AM »
I have this tent and have been thru many rain and snow storms in it, even wicked downpours. Never got wet once. My first one I had for about 15 years and it was so good a bought a new one.

"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2013, 09:45:14 AM »

This is the tent I have, except mine has both sides. Not sure why this one is one-sided.  :???:

Offline CG6468

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2013, 10:19:58 AM »
This is the tent I have, except mine has both sides. Not sure why this one is one-sided.  :???:

That IS different!

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2013, 06:54:36 AM »
That IS different!

Two very easy ways to get a divorce. First is to first time wall paper a room with spouse, second is to buy a tent, don't read the directions, get to camping spot and try to erect the darn thing in the dark.

Actually I would wall paper the whole house before I would do the tent setup .  This is why I rent a small U Haul, just drive in, park, open the back and sleep on inflatable air mattresses.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2013, 12:07:44 PM »
Two very easy ways to get a divorce. First is to first time wall paper a room with spouse, second is to buy a tent, don't read the directions, get to camping spot and try to erect the darn thing in the dark.

Actually I would wall paper the whole house before I would do the tent setup .  This is why I rent a small U Haul, just drive in, park, open the back and sleep on inflatable air mattresses.

Wanna go on a Snipe hunt?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2013, 04:29:01 PM »
Backpacking indicates poor planning.

:bolt:    :-)

No, poor planning is where you set out to do horse camping going in, but as things developed, you had to eat the horse and backpack out.

:tongue:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.