Author Topic: Anyone see "The Next Avengers?"  (Read 401 times)

Offline Godot showed up

Anyone see "The Next Avengers?"
« on: January 03, 2011, 09:08:21 AM »
I missed another one, I think it was "Planet Hulk."

Anyway, I thought in some ways "The Next Avengers" (TNA) was pretty good. At times, visually, it was amazing, and the "Iron Avengers," with their Iron Man faces, were downright creepy. It was just weird and in some ways emotionally wrenching to see these facsimiles of the Avengers first walking forth, then doing Ultron's bidding.

I thought Ultron itself was done very well, too. This artistic/animated rendering was much as I've imagined the implacable monster-machine. Of course, even the Hulk, who administered the Ultron beatdown (and was not a "Next Avenger") wouldn't be able to make a dent in adamantium, so I suppose it wasn't made out of adamantium this time.

I also liked the idea that Ultron was seriously attempting world conquest, and that Stark/Iron Man said that it had conquered nearly half the world in 13 years. Yes, it should take time to conquer the world militarily.

Not sure why they made Ultron a Stark rather than Pym creation, but never mind.

Still, there are some obvious plot holes--the first being that Ultron, even if destroyed, shouldn't be destroyed--it always has a backup somehwere ready to go, and you'd think this would have been something it would have taken care of in quintuplicate or more in its spare time, as it was in the midst of conquering the world. Also, there's no need for Ultron to visually interface and optically scan data streams, even at super-high-speed--it should be able to directly interface and download data nearly instantaneously. I'll admit, though, that seeing Ultron on its pedestal optically scanning those spinning/projected data streams was really cool looking. Also, I'd have expected Ultron to send some of its own war machines rather than go itself in the various attacks--especially where the Hulk was involved--but, again, hey, we DO want to see the Big Bad itself in action, so I understand.

But the Next Avengers themselves were silly and dull, and of course geared for kids (except for the "new" Hawkeye--he was ok, reasonably well scripted; Capt. America's son was a dork, and the whole Toran/daughter of Thor thing was a yawn, although I'll admit that seeing her fight the Iron Thor was kind of weird and extra creepy.)

Fact is, the movie was most watchable when we were dealing with the animated adults (Stark, Banner, Betty Ross), and the main villain. But all in all I enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:12:18 AM by Godot showed up »