Author Topic: First try at making tomato sauce . . .  (Read 2217 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
First try at making tomato sauce . . .
« on: September 05, 2011, 01:56:30 PM »
From tomatoes that we grew.  A buttload of them went into a large pot--after cleaning, peeling, and coring (the last step was something that my wife insisted on).  Not sure how many varieties we used--seven, maybe nine.  A bunch of fresh basil, a few onions (both things that came from our gardens), and some green peppers (these did not, unfortunately).  Boil for a couple of hours, but not too long, as the acids in the tomatoes weren't something we wanted a lot of.  We put maybe three-and-a-half quarts into freezer bags, and just put the bags into our freezer (my wife had to do some fancy re-arranging of the contents). 

In a few days, maybe a couple of weeks, we'll see how we did when we pull out a bag and use it on pasta.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
Re: First try at making tomato sauce . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 02:37:12 PM »
I bet it will taste way better than any store bought sauce.  Let me know how well it is.  I'd love to make my own pasta sauces.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 06:37:54 PM »
I bet it will taste way better than any store bought sauce.  Let me know how well it is.  I'd love to make my own pasta sauces.

Jess, you can do it with fresh tomatoes that you can buy in the produce section of your supermarket.  You need a lot of 'em, but it can be done. 

As for the sauce, we didn't strain the seeds out, or add any tomato paste.  The lack of paste makes it a tad thin.  When we reheat it, I'm sure that it will thicken up a bit.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline shadeaux

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 11:03:34 PM »
Have you tasted it yet ?

Have you ever made a dish called mach choux ?  It's a corn and tomato dish.  I'll bet your sauce would taste wonderful in that.

We've tried for a few years now to grow tomatoes here but no go. I'm going to try cherry tomatoes on the patio next year. Our weather is brutal.  The heat about kills everything.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 05:06:33 AM »
I picked one of these up at a yard sale some years ago. It is an amazing tool for the garden. It seperates the skin and seeds of fresh tomatoes like magic.

You might be able to get one on Ebay. Make sure its a real  Garden Way Squeezo

"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 06:56:51 PM »
Have you tasted it yet?

We sampled it while making it.  Not bad. 

Cats, thank you for that info.  I just might have to get one of those.

Chase her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 11:10:05 AM »
We're having some on pasta tonight.  I'll give the rundown later.

Chase her.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 11:18:13 AM »
To each his own and all, but I'm not a fan of bell pepper in what amounts to a base tomato sauce. It works in bbq-like stuff, but not in pasta.

But your method looks like a viable alternative to canning, which is an enormous PITA.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.