Author Topic: Houston Rodeo canceled as emergency declared over coronavirus  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.click2houston.com/rodeo/2020/03/11/houston-rodeo-canceled-amid-growing-concerns-over-coronavirus/

First time in 80 years ...

HOUSTON – The remainder of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo was canceled Wednesday as officials in both Houston and Harris County declare a health emergency.

According to an alert from the Houston Rodeo app, the grounds at NRG Park will be closed as of 4 p.m.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said the new presumptive positive case of coronavirus that was reported Tuesday in Montgomery County was not related to international travel, and there was evidence of community spread in that case. That is what led to the decision to cancel the Rodeo, Turner said.

<<<SNIP>>>

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

Re: Houston Rodeo canceled as emergency declared over coronavirus
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 03:55:47 PM »
I still believe a lot of this is just hysteria and overreaction designed to hurt the US and President Trump. Democrats truly believe in never letting a crisis go to waste.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 03:59:54 PM »
I still believe a lot of this is just hysteria and overreaction designed to hurt the US and President Trump. Democrats truly believe in never letting a crisis go to waste.

I agree.  I do think it is prudent to be prepared and take precautions, but I don't believe this is the end of human civilization.  Some of the reading I've done on it from top epidemiologists have cautioned this is something to take seriously, but not have advocated panic responses.

This is the largest rodeo in the world and it brings in huge amounts of money to Houston, not to mention the scholarships the kids who participate showing livestock (and other items) get for their education.  This is a kick in the teeth to the city of Houston and Austin has canceled SXSW which is another multi-million dollar gathering for Texas.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 07:33:29 PM »
Lots of things being canceled, and I agree it's largely hysteria fanned by the media.

A concert this Sunday I was scheduled to play -- canceled.  :censored:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 08:43:21 PM »

I agree.  I do think it is prudent to be prepared and take precautions, but I don't believe this is the end of human civilization.  Some of the reading I've done on it from top epidemiologists have cautioned this is something to take seriously, but not have advocated panic responses.

This is the largest rodeo in the world and it brings in huge amounts of money to Houston, not to mention the scholarships the kids who participate showing livestock (and other items) get for their education.  This is a kick in the teeth to the city of Houston and Austin has canceled SXSW which is another multi-million dollar gathering for Texas.

KC

Agreed up and down this thread.  Such an overreaction, depriving the public with our "bread and circuses".  We need stuff like that.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 08:53:11 PM »
Agreed up and down this thread.  Such an overreaction, depriving the public with our "bread and circuses".  We need stuff like that.

Cancelling events and disrupting the normal everyday life is how they cause more panic and economic uncertainty.

Democrats are evil. They support, no they demand the right to murder unborn children. Causing a world wide economic collapse from virus inspired panic is their fun and games.