Author Topic: US says FL can't opt out  (Read 4201 times)

Offline Linda

• American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
US says FL can't opt out
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:34:53 AM »
US says FL can't opt out
By Carol Gentry and Jim Saunders
4/23/2010 © Health News Florida

snip:

Only hours after the Florida House and Senate voted to “opt out” of the new federal health law, the top U.S. health official said Thursday night that will not be permitted.

Without mentioning any particular state or going into detail, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said that state and local officials can vent all they want about a so-called “federal takeover” of health care. But they cannot deny their citizens access to its benefits or requirements, she told the Association of Health Care Journalists.

“They may want to opt out, but they don’t get to opt out all of their citizens who want and need health care,” Sebelius said.

Florida has an estimated 4 million uninsured, most of whom will be covered when the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) takes full effect in 2014.

At least 30 states have passed state constitutional amendment legislation similar to that approved by the Florida Legislature, according to theNational Conference of State Legislatures.
A liberal who is mugged by reality becomes conservative.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: US says FL can't opt out
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 11:36:35 AM »
Oh, here comes a 10th Amendment battle the Feds and liberals do NOT want to let see the light of day.

ETA: And someone needs to tell Skelebitch that no state is "denying their citizens access to healthcare."  What a loon.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:52:54 AM »
Yes we can! opt out.

You and what Army Obie?

Oh... right.

Offline camaraderie

• Probationary (Probie)
  • 1/20/12 Change We Can Believe In
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 08:40:10 PM »
Nor can the other 30 or so states with similar objections eh? The feds can SAY whatever they want...but last time I checked the courts make the rules and I haven't found the part of the Constitution where it says I can be forced to buy something I don't want.
What can the feds do if 30 states disobey them?
Cam

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 07:34:21 AM »
The problem with this is, the states can say till they are blue in the face that they will not follow this however, the IRS is collecting the fines for people who do not have health insurance. Therefore we will still be under the mandate because the IRS has the final say.

Don't get me wrong, I love that FL is taking a stand. 
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 02:25:24 PM »
The problem with this is, the states can say till they are blue in the face that they will not follow this however, the IRS is collecting the fines for people who do not have health insurance. Therefore we will still be under the mandate because the IRS has the final say.

Don't get me wrong, I love that FL is taking a stand. 

But the only enforcement capability they gave the IRS is being able to take peoples refunds, no fines or penalties. If everyone just adjusts their withholdings so they get minimal refunds or even owe a small amount, that ends that part of it.  Think how much the Fed would be hurting if everyone in the country changed their withholding in that way.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 07:58:04 PM »
But the only enforcement capability they gave the IRS is being able to take peoples refunds, no fines or penalties. If everyone just adjusts their withholdings so they get minimal refunds or even owe a small amount, that ends that part of it.  Think how much the Fed would be hurting if everyone in the country changed their withholding in that way.

Oh just wait soon they will be able to impose fines and penalties. You have to remember they aren't even close to being done yet tinkering with this.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline camaraderie

• Probationary (Probie)
  • 1/20/12 Change We Can Believe In
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 08:29:10 PM »
They need 41 votes to tinker! They don't have 'em unless RINOS break ranks to help them.
Cam

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 09:26:03 AM »
They need 41 votes to tinker! They don't have 'em unless RINOS break ranks to help them.

They got it passed so I have no doubt they can figure out someway to tinker with it.