Author Topic: New airline offers $9 seats  (Read 1750 times)

Offline RobJohnson

New airline offers $9 seats
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:47:36 PM »
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- A new low-cost airline will begin serving mid-sized U.S. cities that it thinks larger carriers have left behind.

Clearwater, Fla.-based JetAmerica said 34 nonstop passenger flights a week will start July 13 at Toledo, Ohio; South Bend, Ind.; Melbourne, Fla.; Newark, N.J.; Minneapolis and Lansing, Mich. Twenty-eight flights start or end at Newark Liberty International Airport. The carrier will add six more flights -- from Toledo to Minneapolis -- starting Aug. 14.

JetAmerica is targeting small and midsize cities like Lansing, which has seen the number of daily flights at its Capital Region International Airport fall from 35 to 12 the past five years. The decline is part of a national trend that has seen airfares increase at those airports as daily flights have decreased.

Robert Selig, head of the Capital Region Airport Authority, said JetAmerica will give Lansing business travelers direct access to New York City and carry leisure travelers to central Florida

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/New-lowcost-airline-targets-apf-15348934.html?.v=5

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: New airline offers $9 seats
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 11:49:38 PM »
doesn't seem possible does it?

they charging $25 for food and drinks and $5 to use the restroom?

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 11:54:27 PM »
The $9.00 seats are on the wing.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:56:27 PM »

lol. really tight seatbelts

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 07:23:29 AM »
they will probably charge $500 per ticket for fuel :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 07:52:40 AM »
...but for the left wing, they charge a "carbon tax" of $3842.02.   :uhsure:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 08:40:38 AM »
doesn't seem possible does it?

they charging $25 for food and drinks and $5 to use the restroom?

Airlines only have to offer, something like 10% of the seats, at a discounted price for a promotion.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 08:51:59 AM »
The seat is $9.  The duct tape required to securely fasten the seat to the fuselage (outside) goes for $1100.  And if you want oxygen, well, I hope you can hold your breath!
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline NateRiver

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 08:26:13 PM »
Spirit Airline is also a cheap airline that offers specials of $1,$2 etc. I have a cousin who just went round trip, with wife and 2 kids, DC to Fort Lauderdale for under $150.00

It is "NoFrills". You are allowed one carry-on plus purse, backpack.  If you check lugguage it is $10 a bag, maybe a little less if it is done ahead of time on line. Any snack or drink will cost you, regular airport prices. Most of Spirit's planes are new Airbus A319 and A321's and the seats are ample and good amount of leg room.
Spirit Airlines