Author Topic: PA Gym Shooting Victim has no Healthcare. Family raises money with carwash  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
sabrina 1  (803 posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Wed Sep-02-09 03:33 AM
Original message
PA Gym Shooting Victim has no Healthcare. Family raises money with carwash   Updated at 4:02 AM

22 year-old Heather Sherba was one of the victims shot by George Sodini last month. She was shot in the leg and was one of several people who were injured and taken to Alegheny Hospital after the shooting.

4 Gym Shooting Victims Remain In Hospital

http://www.wpxi.com/news/20283426/detail.html

COLLIER TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- Four of the gym shooting victims remain in the hospital. Mary Primis, 26, and Heather Sherba, 22, are at Allegheny General Hospital listed in fair condition. Two victims are at UPMC Mercy hospital; one is listed in fair condition, and the other is listed serious condition.

Rachel Maddow covered the story saying that after the trauma she suffered she has to cover her own healthcare costs. Rachel includes video of the carwash with Heather and her family and those who came to help here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/vp/32651477#326514...

Rachel's comment on this story: God help the richest nation on earth for making this the excuse we have for a healthcare system

There is no other civilized society where a victim of such a horrendous crime would have to resort to depending on the kindness of her neighbors to try to cover the cost of her treatment, as well deal with the trauma shed experienced.

I wish politicians would stop using these tragedies to go on TV and offer their 'sympathies' to the victims. They just don't care about the American people and they should stop pretending they do.

I hope Heather can raise the money she needs. But she shouldn't have to. I have a feeling that if she asked, France, Cuba, Britain, Venezuela or Canada, any one of those countries would be willing to treat her free of charge.

We are an embarrassment and increasingly a burden on other more advanced nations as more and more Americans have to go abroad to get medical care.

Shame on this government for depriving its citizens of the right to proper healthcare.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6443394

Good for these people. They have the true American spirit instead of posting at the DUmp how unfair life is they are going out and doing something to make the money needed.

Hey moron they are getting the proper health care they need. Read the article.

anigbrowl  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Wed Sep-02-09 03:35 AM
Response to Original message
2. Urgh, that makes me sick

I bet it does. Self sufficient people tend to make you guys sick.

napi21  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Wed Sep-02-09 04:03 AM
Response to Original message
4. It wass very nice to have the carwash, but they only raised $500!

I grew up near that area of Pgh. $500 isn't even going to be noticed when applied to the bill at AGH!

I like it that different MSM hosts are npw talking about real life situations, and what can happen to you through no fault of your own!

I'm firmly convinced that the vast majority of people who now have insurance claim they love it because they haven't had to use it! I was one of those people just a few years ago. I hadn't used my ins since my youngest son was born, and he's 44! 3+ years ago I broke my ankle. MY COPAYS cost me a total of $3,400! Our total annual income was $22,000, and believe me, we didn't have a spare $,400 hanging around! I paid it off in payments, but until then, I had no idea how much that 20% of the 80%/20% policy can cost you, & my injury was fairly insignificant. One short surgery, 2 metal pins and recovery! What the hell happens when someone gets cancer, or something a lot more serious that mine? I wonder just how happy they would all be then?????

That's $500 more than they had.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Re: PA Gym Shooting Victim has no Healthcare. Family raises money with carwash
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 08:57:08 AM »
What the hell happens when someone gets cancer, or something a lot more serious that mine?

The government offers you the suicide pill?

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 08:59:43 AM »
So, this 22 Y/O has money for the gym, but not her own health insurance? Yeah, I'm thinking this is one of those that falls into the "I'm bulletproof, I don't need health insurance".

...only she wasn't. Hey, sorry to sound callous, but it's not my responsibility that she prioritized her physical appearance over her own health.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 09:06:34 AM »

The government offers you the suicide pill?

Nah.  They're not that nice.  They'll just offer you pain pills and let you die a slow, agonizing death.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 09:07:37 AM »
So, this 22 Y/O has money for the gym, but not her own health insurance? Yeah, I'm thinking this is one of those that falls into the "I'm bulletproof, I don't need health insurance".

...only she wasn't. Hey, sorry to sound callous, but it's not my responsibility that she prioritized her physical appearance over her own health.

Hey!  Stop using common sense and logic!  It's unfair to the DUmp monkeys, who lack both.

:-)

I dare someone to post "She could afford a gym membership, but not life insurance?" in the DUmp thread.

Offline Karin

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 09:29:24 AM »
Look, my BIL is at death's door.  We're just waiting for the phone call.  They have almost no money, and so the community came together and put on a huge bash, with everything a northern NYer loves:  Food, drinking, gambling, music.  To celebrate the guy's life and raise some dough.  We raised over $12K.   

There's another benefit coming up at the Legion for another cancer patient with 4 little kids.  I expect they'll do well there, too.  It's just what we do. 

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 09:32:01 AM »
Look, my BIL is at death's door.  We're just waiting for the phone call.  They have almost no money, and so the community came together and put on a huge bash, with everything a northern NYer loves:  Food, drinking, gambling, music.  To celebrate the guy's life and raise some dough.  We raised over $12K.   

There's another benefit coming up at the Legion for another cancer patient with 4 little kids.  I expect they'll do well there, too.  It's just what we do. 

The same up here.  Well, not so much the gambling part of it, but everything else.

Offline Happy Fun Ball

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »
Nah.  They're not that nice.  They'll just offer you pain pills and let you die a slow, agonizing death.
At least until the costs become too high for even that and they just give you pieces of hard candy and tell you they're pain pills.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 10:01:45 AM »
I was born and raised in Dallas County.   Everyone had access to medical attention.  We had Parkland Hospital.  If you did not have money or insurance, you went to Parkland Hospital.  You were treated to the best care the medical arts could provide.  In many instances, you were treated better because Parkland had every new-fangled state-of-the-art medical device and drug available.

I know Parkland is still there in Dallas, bigger and better than ever.  I know about 10,000 illegal Mexican women give birth there every year FOR FREE.  I know too that Parkland has saved many lives through the years.  Live connected to my life.

Did I live in a privileged rose-colored Parkland world?  Do most large population areas have a Parkland of their own? Especially up there in the Northeast in those compassionate democrat controlled areas like Pennsylvania?

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 11:22:46 AM »
Most major counties have a General Hospital I would bet.

The voters, btw, approved a new bigger building for Parkland. I have no idea what they'll do with the old one.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 12:46:31 PM »
Shame on this government for depriving its citizens of the right to proper healthcare.

I'm sorry.  I guess I'm an idiot.  I read that article 3 times and I could have sworn this girl was treated at a hospital.  Did I miss something?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 12:55:26 PM »
I call BULL SHITTTTT!

The gym certainly has liability insurance. There is absolutely NO ****IN" WAY they would not pay this!

They're runnin' a frikkin' scam!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 01:17:39 PM »

Ok, I'm going to diverge from you here because it is not unrealistic for a 22 year old to expect not to be shot down in a gym. Get a broken leg? Maybe Pull a muscle? sure! But be shot? Come on now! Arguably, she was prioritizing her health for years to come by going to the gym so it's a bit much of the blame the victim thing in this instance and let's face it, every woman in that room was a victim of someone else's rage and hostility. Not a single person in there should foot any blame for what happened. That said, why isn't George Sodini's home and other articles being sold off to pay for the medical expenses of these victims? To me that seems like the proper vehicle for any rage at the situation the victims are in. If the gym did in fact overlook some usual safety procedure, then they too share some blame. It's pretty distasteful to blame the victims in this case because a bunch of stupid liberal shitbags are trying to lionize any of them without healthcare. Sodini is ultimately responsible for this young lady needing healthcare she did not have at the time for whatever reason.

Offline Flame

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 01:19:47 PM »
Ok, I'm going to diverge from you here because it is not unrealistic for a 22 year old to expect not to be shot down in a gym. Get a broken leg? Maybe Pull a muscle? sure! But be shot? Come on now! Arguably, she was prioritizing her health for years to come by going to the gym so it's a bit much of the blame the victim thing in this instance and let's face it, every woman in that room was a victim of someone else's rage and hostility. Not a single person in there should foot any blame for what happened. That said, why isn't George Sodini's home and other articles being sold off to pay for the medical expenses of these victims? To me that seems like the proper vehicle for any rage at the situation the victims are in. If the gym did in fact overlook some usual safety procedure, then they too share some blame. It's pretty distasteful to blame the victims in this case because a bunch of stupid liberal shitbags are trying to lionize any of them without healthcare. Sodini is ultimately responsible for this young lady needing healthcare she did not have at the time for whatever reason.

He's not blaming the vicitim for being shot, but he's pointing out that she should have had a plan for a catastrophic illness/accident.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 01:22:46 PM »
He's not blaming the vicitim for being shot, but he's pointing out that she should have had a plan for a catastrophic illness/accident.

Unfortunately, most state laws do not allow insurance companies to offer only catastrophic insurance.  A person is forced to buy all sorts of coverage that is not wanted nor needed, for themselves.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 01:37:46 PM »
Even if she had medical insurance I don't think she should have to use it to cover her injuries. I think she should obtain an attourney and sue the assholes estate for her medical bills!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 02:04:27 PM »
BTW, it doesn't matter if it was through "no fault of her own", that doesn't make it someone elses job to pay for it,

I got hungry through no fault of my own or the house fell over through no fault of my own.... where is my check?

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 02:57:25 PM »
Unfortunately, most state laws do not allow insurance companies to offer only catastrophic insurance.  A person is forced to buy all sorts of coverage that is not wanted nor needed, for themselves.

If she had/has a job that offered(s) health care insurance, as a single person the cost would be most likely under $100 a month split between paychecks. Mines about $140/mo for a family. There is no being "forced" into buying anything you don't want. It's all in the "check here" if you want "this" when you decide what you want at the beginning of each year, at least where I work.

I absolutely do not buy into the "healthcare crisis" bullshit.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 03:05:50 PM »
I can't believe it!

The gym most certainly had liability! If she is actually paying for this, she's DUmber than a rock!

For cryin' out loud! If you slip and fall at the grocery store they have insurance to cover your bruised butt!

Pretty sure it would cover some asshole walking in and shooting the clientel!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 03:07:34 PM by AllosaursRus »
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 03:45:43 PM »

Getting shot, breaking a leg, falling out of a building, needing an appendectomy? Yes, that's why you get health insurance. It's a gamble. ....and you ain't gambling with my money. Sorry.

..and no, I'm not blaming her for getting shot but it's not my responsibility to pick up the tab unless you ask "me" for help. You get the government to try and confiscate my earnings for you not having insurance, I'm going to tell you to go pound sand.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline thundley4

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 03:50:01 PM »
If she had/has a job that offered(s) health care insurance, as a single person the cost would be most likely under $100 a month split between paychecks. Mines about $140/mo for a family. There is no being "forced" into buying anything you don't want. It's all in the "check here" if you want "this" when you decide what you want at the beginning of each year, at least where I work.

I absolutely do not buy into the "healthcare crisis" bullshit.

That's a big if about her having a job that offers insurance.  I don't know anyone that has turned down employer coverage.  My point was that many young single people might buy catastrophic coverage, but it just isn't available.  Everyone could probably get lower premiums if you could buy coverage ala carte.

Offline Chump

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 04:00:52 PM »

That's not callous; it's common sense.

Funny how these DUmmies are sickened by the thought of depending on the generosity of strangers, but encourage depending on the government to take from others at the end of a gun.  Twisted folks over there.

As a personal anecdote, I missed the open enrollment period to add my wife to my insurance policy after we were married.  So, we paid for a catastrophic policy (about 60 bucks a month) until the next annual open enrollment period.  This shit isn't brain surgery, and it's your own responsibility.  If that seems callous to you, then you're probably a raging communist.

Oh, and health insurance <> health care.  Otherwise, this young woman would be dead, no?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech