Author Topic: I wonder if "Dungeons & Dragons" baristas use arcane magic to make lattes...  (Read 511 times)

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Stumbled across this thread last night.  Apparently the D&D folks published a free little campaign set-up where your fantasy character works at a fantasy Starbucks.  The reactions are hilarious, across the spectrum, IMHO, from gamers griping about the idea of regular work in their tabletop game to right-leaning folks griping and joking about the wokeness roleplaying opportunities to left leaning folks griping about wage inequality. 

https://twitter.com/LunarArchivist/status/1480819171399286786?t=ewdKF6zsQ31gdh7d2koOhQ&s=03

It was a long thread last night, and has grown significantly.  Here's a few personal faves.

Several people have pointed out that a "Dungeons & Dragons" Firejolt CafĂ© barista makes 5 gp/week while an armorer, squire bodyguard, or mercenary man-at-arms makes 7 gp/week. 🤔

Apparently, a woke hipster's idea of high fantasy is limited to exorbitant wages for menial jobs.

Full disclosure, I never actually sat down and played D&D, but had some of the books.  I know enough mechanics and background to get most of the jokes, but most are still funny without that background knowledge. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
I've played D&D before. There are rules for regular jobs a Player Character can do while on down time between adventures but this is the first time I've seen one fleshed out this way. I did laugh at the Conan refference someone did in that Twitter thread. As a player would I want to play this? Maybe as a "One Shot" (one game session) or at a gaming convention but not as a full campaign.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline DLR Pyro

just one more reason for me to stay the hell away from starbucks...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020