Author Topic: Dockworkers union files for bankruptcy amid lawsuit over work slowdowns  (Read 497 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Dockworkers union files for bankruptcy amid lawsuit over work slowdowns
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/dockworkers-union-files-bankruptcy-amid-lawsuit-work-slowdowns

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) representing U.S. dockworkers on the West Coast filed for bankruptcy protection last week amid a pending lawsuit over unfair work slowdowns and stoppages.

The ILWU, which represents 22,000 dock and warehouse workers at ports along the West Coast from San Diego to Washington state, including the nation’s busiest container port at Los Angeles and Long Beach, is in the midst of litigation with the Oregon branch of the International Container Terminal Services Inc. (ICTSI) over illegal work stoppages and slowdowns amid labor disputes.

A federal court found in 2019 that the ILWU had engaged in illegal labor practices from 2013 to 2017 through work slowdowns and stoppages, holding the union liable for $93.6 million in damages against ICTSI Oregon, which operated a shipping terminal at the Port of Portland during that period.

An Oregon judge later reduced the amount of damages to $19.1 million, which ICTSI rejected and prompted a new trial to be scheduled as it seeks damages in a range of $48 million to $142 million. The ILWU has argued that damages shouldn’t exceed $3.9 million and says it lacks funds to cover legal expenses that would ensue with the new trial.

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) in the West Coast has filed for bankruptcy. It stemmed from work stoppage and International Container Terminal Services Inc. (ICTSI) is suing ILWU.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Re: Dockworkers union files for bankruptcy amid lawsuit over work slowdowns
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 10:05:43 PM »
Dockworkers union files for bankruptcy amid lawsuit over work slowdowns
https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/dockworkers-union-files-bankruptcy-amid-lawsuit-work-slowdowns

The International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) in the West Coast has filed for bankruptcy. It stemmed from work stoppage and International Container Terminal Services Inc. (ICTSI) is suing ILWU.

This could be fun. Tell a longshoreman that you just screwed him out of a pension, and he and a bunch of his buddies are liable to take it personal, and then take it out on whoever is in arm's reach.

:popcorn:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 05:07:45 AM »
OK, who's next to go on strike after these guys? Hollyweird had the writer's strike (recently ended, IIRC -- who missed them while they were gone? I didn't.) UAW even got SharterJoe to walk their picket line, and The Donald even went to talk to auto workers at a non-union plant.

Shipyards? Teacher's unions? SEIU?

Uh oh. The rumblings from this group - National Rural Letter Carriers' Association - have been increasingly ominous. Someone just might go postal!  /sarc
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 09:08:07 AM »
If all the pension funds and other benefits go up in smoke there will definitely be some discontent. The union management will be on the next flight to Brazil  :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!