Author Topic: Men from polygamy sect speak  (Read 900 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Men from polygamy sect speak
« on: April 21, 2008, 10:47:05 AM »
CBS) Many of the men in the polygamist sect in Eldorado, Texas didn't know it is illegal to marry someone under 18, one of them tells Early Show co-anchor Maggie Rodriguez in an exclusive interview.

Rodriguez conducted the interview Sunday night with three men whose children were among more than 400 removed by authorities from the sect's compound in a raid earlier this month.

It was the first time since the raid that any male members of the sect spoke with a member of the media.

In the wide-ranging interview, Rodriguez asked, “After all this, can you see why society looks upon you and says, ‘A girl who's younger than 18 shouldn't be married and having sex?’ Has this forced you to reconsider?”

One of the men, who identified himself as Rulon (none of the three offered a last name) responded, "Yes, many of us perhaps were not even aware of such a law, but yes, we have been made very aware in the last two weeks and we do reconsider -- yes.” Rulon says he has six children, ranging in age from a year to nine.

All three said they would submit to DNA testing, as ordered by a Texas judge who wanted to help authorities determine who the parents of the children in custory are.

A man who gave his name as Edson and told Rodriguez he has four children, from almost four-years-old to 11, took issue with the view that youngsters are abused in the compound.

"I think they have a very false perception of the way we live because we're closed mouthed," Edson said. "They assume a lot of things that aren't there."

Asked by Rodriguez if he was saying older men don't marry adolescent girls in the compound, Edson replied, "I didn't say that at all, but I think that people have a false concept of what our religion is all about. To say that they're sexually abused and that people here are -- they haven't found anything to my knowledge that proves that. ... But I think that, overall, they look at us as if we're immoral people and, in our own makeup, that is the very most important part of our religion, is to be morally clean. I have a hard time standing here being a criminal, when I had no idea that I'm a criminal. I've always strived to be an upright man and my children and my family, everyone that I know, love me and I love them."

If an adolescent had sex with an older man, should that be considered abuse?

Ruloln answered, "The state of Texas has defined it as that. I would simply say, if you had a teenage girl that chose to go that way, could you force her to do otherwise? No, you could not. We are not a people of force. We are people of free agency and peace. We do not teach our children to have sexual conduct before they are of age. We do not teach them that; we teach them the contrary."

"But gentlemen," Rodriguez asked, "do you think that a teenage girl has the maturity to make that kind of decision, especially if she sees other girls doing it and maybe might believe that it's OK? Isn't it your responsibility to tell them no it's not OK?"

A mah who said his name is Jake and said he has a two-and-a-half-year-old child, responded, "You can tell your child, 'Go through the courts to do it right and proper."

"So," Rodriguez followed-uop, "are you saying that, that's what you tell girls who are young and want to marry these older men?"

"Well, it's not my -- it's not my child. That's what I'll tell my children -- it's definitely -- after they're 18, it's their choice. If they want to go that route, they can."

Earlier, Jake said it's been very difficult not having his child with him. His voice cracking, he said, "I miss my child, my heart's broken. But, I know that we'll see him sometime soon, if we stay at it and be faithful."

The interview will be broadcast in two parts, Monday and Tuesday on The Early Show.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/21/earlyshow/main4029811.shtml
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
Re: Men from polygamy sect speak
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 12:09:34 PM »
All three said they would submit to DNA testing, as ordered by a Texas judge who wanted to help authorities determine who the parents of the children in custory are.

The whole thing is pretty twisted but this part really bothers me. I can see how men might not know (except in this particular case I thought the men had multiple wives but the women only had one husband), but the women? How can you NOT know a baby you carried inside you for nine months? Do they not nurse their children? Do they willingly hand over their child to another woman at birth and forget what it looks like? Watch it grow? I just don't understand. When I was in high school a friend of mine got pregnant and put her baby up for adoption. She cried for weeks and never even saw it.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »
^I was wondering the same thing. I think part of the problem may be that the women are purposely not telling the authorities which children are theirs. I've read so many stories on this case but I seem to recall one reporting that the women and children alike were clamming up and circling the wagons so to speak. The reporter kind of left it open to speculation and did concede that it's entirely possible that some of the children are just freaked out, scared and ignorant about who "mommy" is because of their communal style of life.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:16:10 PM »
. . . didn't know it is illegal to marry someone under 18 . . .

*cough*cough*cough*bullshit*cough*.

this is a lie on the scale of  "I did not have sex with that woman . . . ". :whatever:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 05:16:21 PM »
I saw an interview on CBS Sunday Morning...they had 3 of the women there and asked what they thought about a man in his 50's marrying a teenage girl.  They just said "well, she'll be well loved and taken care of".  I wondered if these women write speeches for the obamanation. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 07:03:48 PM »
. . . didn't know it is illegal to marry someone under 18 . . .

*cough*cough*cough*bullshit*cough*.

this is a lie on the scale of  "I did not have sex with that woman . . . ". :whatever:

I think you're way over the top on that, the age of consent to sex is not uniformly 18 and in the not-too distant past 16 was more common than 18 across the states, with equally-widely varying rules on marriage age.  As far as their 'marriages,' for a polygamous group it's a fairly safe bet they didn't jaunt off to the courthouse for licenses and I'm sure they believed whatever their community leaders told them without thinking they had reason to question it.

I believe the DNA checks are not because the biological mothers don't know their children, but because the authorities aren't willing to believe they'll be honest about it vs. trying to preserve their polygamous family units.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.