Author Topic: Congressman Tancredo Blasts Pope on His Pro-Immigrant Stance  (Read 1620 times)

Offline megimoo

Congressman Tancredo Blasts Pope on His Pro-Immigrant Stance
« on: April 18, 2008, 04:56:32 PM »

"This guy has a huge set of b*lls to call the pope on this matter and he is correct to do so.But the Pope is calling from a different set of rules than American politicians."

Usually, when you see staunch anti-immigration Reps. Brian Bilbray (R-Calif.) and Tom Tancredo (R-Colo.) engaged in conversation, you assume they're talking about one thing: kicking illegal immigrants out of the country. Pope Benedict's embrace of immigrants in the United States has one congressman seeing red. (AP Photo) But Wednesday night, at a birthday reception for Pope Benedict XVI at the Italian Embassy, Tancredo and Bilbray were locked in a heated discussion about something else -- their entourages. (That's how they roll, y'all.) Tancredo, who was raised Catholic but left the church, was with his wife, Jackie, and about nine of...snip
Even though Tancredo attended the pope's birthday reception, he was not happy with Benedict -- at all.

The pope on Wednesday called for welcoming immigrants to the United States and even issued a statement in Spanish telling the Latino community he would urge President Bush to grant legal status to illegal immigrants living in the states.

That's the kind of thing that makes Tancredo, who staked his now-defunct presidential campaign on an anti-immigration platform that included building a gigantic fence along the border of Mexico, go ballistic, to put it mildly.

Basically, Tancredo doesn't want Pope Benedict meddling in U.S. policy matters. "It is not in his job description to engage in American politics," Tancredo said.Our guess is that Tancredo will remain a lapsed Catholic.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2008/04/congressman_tancredo_blasts_po.html

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: Congressman Tancredo Blasts Pope on His Pro-Immigrant Stance
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 05:15:24 PM »
And how many of those Latinos are Catholic? Umm hmm.....

The Pope has the right to come here and do whatever it is he does as a Pope. But meddling in immigration? Nope!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 05:27:08 PM »

The Pope has the right to come here and do whatever it is he does as a Pope. But meddling in immigration? Nope!

The RCC has been pro-illegal once it hit the tipping point where Latinos made up more of it in the USA than not.  It is in its financial interest and part of its very survival.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 05:41:02 PM »

The RCC has been pro-illegal once it hit the tipping point where Latinos made up more of it in the USA than not.  It is in its financial interest and part of its very survival.

Not surprising at all. I have a friend who is a liberal to the core. She is also from Central America and she has a lot of issues with the RCC. Specifically the way they "prey" upon Latinos. I take everything she says with a grain of salt but the immigration stuff is apparently right on.

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Dixie*Darling

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 05:46:44 PM »

True.  You can't swing a cat in any of the local Catholic churches near me without hitting a mexican.  Masses here (NC), as well as social services via the church, are geared toward them. 

That and my inability to hear the service (HOH) have kept me out of church longer than I need/should be. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 05:51:04 PM »

True.  You can't swing a cat in any of the local Catholic churches near me without hitting a mexican.  Masses here (NC), as well as social services via the church, are geared toward them. 

That and my inability to hear the service (HOH) have kept me out of church longer than I need/should be. 

I think the new guy reinstituted High Mass -- Latin might draw me back.  Really.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 07:16:17 PM »

I agree...I was babtized Catholic but I can't deal with the Mexican take over....

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline megimoo

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 07:32:28 PM »

Not surprising at all. I have a friend who is a liberal to the core. She is also from Central America and she has a lot of issues with the RCC. Specifically the way they "prey" upon Latinos. I take everything she says with a grain of salt but the immigration stuff is apparently right on.
Sounds like along with being liberal she is also communistic .
As for preying on latinos I would imagine she is talking about their faith in god as being a sort of brainwashing.They the poor of latin America are really poor not like American 'poor' !What would the RCC be able to get out of poor latinos except for a few pesos each week ?

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 07:36:59 PM »

As for preying on latinos I would imagine she is talking about their faith in god as being a sort of brainwashing.They the poor of latin America are really poor not like American 'poor' !What would the RCC be able to get out of poor latinos except for a few pesos each week ?
She is totally a communist! :-) You hit it on the head without much detail given. Funny how that works huh? ;)

Offline megimoo

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 09:38:33 PM »

She is totally a communist! :-) You hit it on the head without much detail given. Funny how that works huh? ;)
It's simple, just the usual 'buzz'words for all of the commies !