Author Topic: Father Serra's Legacy  (Read 11247 times)

Offline sargentodiaz

Father Serra's Legacy
« on: January 22, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »
Being from Southern California, I've always been interested in the missions. At one time or another, I've visited every one from San Diego to Napa. I've also seen several of them in Baja California.

I began to research them about 7 or 8 years ago and found Father Junipero Serra a most interesting figure. I read all about he was responsible for cruelly enslaving thousands of Indians and brought them many terrible diseases that wiped them out.

I discovered most of that to be pure liberal/progressive male bovine excrement based on tiny sample and the writings of a bigoted, Mid-western Protestant with a deep hatred for Catholics in general.

As I result, I wrote three historical novels on Father Serra which have been published by a publishing house that appear on Amazon.com

However, there was a whole lot I learned about the area, the time, and the people who brought us what is there today. So many of the things NOT in the novels have been posted on my blog - the same name as the thread's title.

You are all most welcome to check it out at http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com

I also have another called A Soldier's Stories @ http://lvcabbie.blogspot.com

I hope you enjoy and look forward to seeing comments.

Offline longview

Re: Father Serra's Legacy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 02:13:35 AM »
Interesting.  Not a Catholic, but have heard about the pending canonization of this man.  And, of course some of the controversy and rebuttals.

Offline sargentodiaz

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 02:40:04 PM »
You and other members of the forum are certainly welcome to drop by and check out the blog. Will post a bit more about Father Serra when I'm finished with my daily forum visits.

There are some RSS readers like Feedly that are free and automatically give you updates. Not just to mine but all the blogs you enjoy.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 04:03:39 PM »
I spent quite a bit of time at Fort Hunter Liggett military reservation when I was stationed at Fort Ord Ca.
The Serra name is ubiquitous there.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline sargentodiaz

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 12:26:50 PM »
The second mission he founded was Mision San Antonio de Padua  which sits right in the center of the reservation.

Known for the massive live oak trees that grew there calling it el Valle del Robles The mission always had problems because it was laid out too far from a dependable stream. When it was moved, it became quite productive.

Some great hunting and fishing there.