Author Topic: 10 mayors, other Mexico officials detained  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
10 mayors, other Mexico officials detained
« on: May 27, 2009, 01:18:50 PM »

Reporting from Mexico City -- Mexican security forces swept into President Felipe Calderon's home state of Michoacan on Tuesday and arrested a total of 27 mayors and other government officials, the largest operation to target politicians in Mexico's bloody drug war.

The officials, including 10 mayors, are being investigated for alleged ties to drug traffickers and other organized crime syndicates that in effect control large sections of Michoacan, the federal attorney general's office said.

Michoacan Gov. Leonel Godoy, in a brief, curt appearance before reporters, confirmed the arrests and said he had not been notified ahead of time.

Those detained include a key advisor to Godoy, a judge and several top regional public security officials, the attorney general's office said. Most were taken to Mexico City for questioning after being rounded up during the morning from their homes, offices and city halls.

Michoacan is the base for a fast-growing, extremely violent drug-trafficking organization known as La Familia. The group, which in the last year has expanded its operations into three other Mexican states, is considered especially adept at infiltrating local governments by buying or scaring off mayors or members of city councils and police departments.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-mexico-mayors27-2009may27,0,1829460.story
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline thundley4

Re: 10 mayors, other Mexico officials detained
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 01:52:10 PM »
What?  There is widespread corruption in the political and judicial system in Mexico?  I suppose next that we'll find out that the military and police are also corrupt.  :uhsure:

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 02:41:56 PM »
Is Calderon finally making a serious effort to clean up his country like Italy had to finally do with the mafia a few years back?

From the link:

“At least 83 of Michoacan’s 113 municipalities are mixed up at some level with narcos, a Mexican intelligence source said...”

Whoa, that's a high percentage and they said "at least" to boot . . .

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 03:04:54 PM »
I wish this would happen in Washington, D.C.  I would like to see the White House, Congress, and the Supreme Court cleaned of all corrupt American enemies, both foreign and domestic.   

Oh well.  It's just a dream.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 06:52:37 PM »
I wish this would happen in Washington, D.C.  I would like to see the White House, Congress, and the Supreme Court cleaned of all corrupt American enemies, both foreign and domestic.   

Oh well.  It's just a dream.

Tis a very sweet one though!

Offline Sam Adams

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 12:46:05 AM »
What?  There is widespread corruption in the political and judicial system in Mexico?  I suppose next that we'll find out that the military and police are also corrupt.  :uhsure:

Next, they will tell us that professional wrestling is not real.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 03:32:36 AM by Sam Adams »

Offline Doc Savage

• Challenger of the Democratic faith
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 10:15:24 PM »

And for all this time I thought those dollar bills on the border guards desks were just incase you needed change or something. 
You see, I don't care you how feel.  I really don't.  More importantly, neither does anyone else.  Only about 200 people on a planet of 7 billion actually care about your feelings, and that's if you're lucky.  The sooner you grasp this lesson, the better off you will be.  And since almost no one gives a damn what you do, say, think, or feel, appealing to your feelings when you encounter differences of opinion is not only illogical, but useless.