Author Topic: Buerger's disease  (Read 2773 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Buerger's disease
« on: October 25, 2011, 03:40:25 PM »
I'm reading about the medical history of George VI (1895-1952; r. 1937-1952)--it just one of the odd habits I have, reading medical histories of historical personages--and came across something called "Buerger's disease."

".....by January 1948, he was suffering cramps in his legs, the early symptoms of Buerger's disease (arteriosclerosis resulting from smoking) which was restricting the flow of blood to his lower legs and his feet.

By August, he was in discomfort most of the time; his secretaries noted that he would kick his leg against the desk in an attempt to restore circulation....."

I always wondered why I've seen--usually old men, overweight, smokers, drinkers--just out of the blue kick against some solid object.  (George VI was in his mid-50s, slight of build, light drinker.....but a heavy smoker.)

Has anyone else ever noticed this, people hitting their legs (or some other extremity) against something, so as to restore feeling?  (No, I've never done this; I've just seen people do it.)
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Buerger's disease
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 04:29:09 PM »
Nope - never have seen that, Frank. Or actually, only when I've been sitting on the toilet long enough for my legs to fall asleep. Then I'll stomp my feet to wake 'em up.

Just kidding, Frank. You're asking a serious question and I'm making light of it. Sorry. The devil made me do it.  :-)
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 07:54:43 PM »
Nope - never have seen that, Frank. Or actually, only when I've been sitting on the toilet long enough for my legs to fall asleep. Then I'll stomp my feet to wake 'em up.

Just kidding, Frank. You're asking a serious question and I'm making light of it. Sorry. The devil made me do it.  :-)

I vaguely recall my father, who had gout (and diabetes and high blood pressure and the whole bit), knocking a leg against something.  He did it on purpose, and I always wondered why.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline CG6468

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 08:13:19 PM »
I never heard of it. Maybe it was time-specific?
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 08:20:58 PM »
I never heard of it. Maybe it was time-specific?

According to wikipedia, it's reasonably common, but it might be better known by some other name.

The reason it aroused my interest is that, like George VI, I am a heavy smoker.

Thus far it's pleased God I've avoided obesity, high blood pressure, kidney problems, and all that other stuff, but so had George VI.

My mother was a cold person, and I alone among all her children inherited that; her usual body temperature measured, and my usual body temperature measures, about three degrees colder than the normal 98.6.

If I get up to 98.6, I'm sweating like a pig with a high fever.

I've been told this is a symptom of circulatory problems (although none have been discovered in me).

I suppose if I get into the habit of hitting a limb against something so as to "restore circulation," it'll be time to quit smoking.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline CG6468

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 08:37:31 PM »
OK. I learned something tonight!
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 11:19:28 PM »
OK. I learned something tonight!

Actually, I too've learned a lot from reading all that.

George VI and Elizabeth visiting in Canada, 1939

There seems a LOT of similarities between the physical health of George VI and the physical health of franksolich.

I hope I don't come to the same end, though.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 08:11:22 AM »
Well, Hell.

I went to the hospital in the big city at 4:00 a.m. because the dermatologist (who lives in another big city far from this big city) had some things to do there early in the morning, and he wanted to take a quick look-see at the skin, a casual examination, to see whether or not I should be going in there anytime soon again.

(He decided no; there's a couple of new bothersome things, but just to keep the regular late-November appointment.)

I mentioned George VI and this Buerger's disease thing, and my gratitude that despite I have fertile ground for it--the very cold body temperature caused by some sort of blood circulatory malfunction (I've had it all my life, no big deal; it's nothing new)--so far it's pleased God this cup's passed from me.

He arched his eyebrows, telling me to "hold on." 

He said in fact I'm a "prime candidate" for it.

"You're saving your ass right now, because you're always doing heavy manual labor keeping yourself in good shape, add to that your abstemious habits, but the minute you let up, start enjoying the finer things in life, you're going to get it, and get it real quick."

Ouch.
apres moi, le deluge