Author Topic: Anyone know what this could be?  (Read 6490 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Anyone know what this could be?
« on: July 12, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
Today I started having EXTREME pain in my left thigh. In the area where women get "saddle bags". It hurts so bad I can barely walk. I have some of those new Tylenol pain patches so I just put one on the area. I have never had pain in this area before. I can't stress enough how bad this hurts.  What the heck could it be?  It's not a joint so it can't be arthritis.

Also I went to the eye doctor today, I have a slight case of uveitis again.  :(

Offline jtyangel

Re: Anyone know what this could be?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 09:06:39 PM »
The area sounds like it could be bursitis on your hip, BEG. The bursa sac is located about where  your palms would fall against the side of your leg/hip area when standing straight up--that's about the 'saddle bag' area for women inclined to such things. :-) Sorry for your uveitis :p

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00409

Of particular interest is that people with rheumatoid arthritis can be more prone to it. I only bring that up because all of the immune issues out there like we have are interrelated so I would guess having immune issues may make it more likely for the fluid filled sac to become inflamed. I've had overtraining injuries so I know way too much about this. Not a guarantee, but it might be a place to start. Hope you feel better. :-*

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 09:08:12 PM »
BTW< another thing that made me think bursitis is it usually starts out as a sharp pain and as it settles down it gets more achy and you did say it was very intense pain right now and given location well..just my thought. I would bet you've been moving a lot more lately too getting ready for the move and may have aggrevated or inflamed/extended etc areas that you may not use as regularly in everyday living. Just a few thoughts.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 09:14:15 PM »
That's Jty, you are a gem. I bet you are right.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:36:53 PM »
I get bursitis in my shoulder, it hurts really hard, and then burns, and then gets achy.  I hate it!
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »
That's Jty, you are a gem. I bet you are right.

I meant THANKS not that's.  :thatsright:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 09:59:02 PM »
I get bursitis in my shoulder, it hurts really hard, and then burns, and then gets achy.  I hate it!

What makes it feel better?

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 10:04:41 PM »
What makes it feel better?

Lack of humidity.  Mine acts up in the rain.  I don't have to worry with that for a few months.   :whatever:  But, when it does rain, or when it is cold it hurts.   I take aleve and that helps.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 06:59:18 AM »
If you sleep on that side, it could be a pressure problem. I get those every once in a while because I sleep on my side. Since I've changed mattresses, it's not nearly as frequent, but it still happens on occasion.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 07:43:11 AM »
Shit of the bitch, it was going away, now it's back. I was on my 2nd day of my medrol pack and I was getting noticeably better. Went shopping with my mom then went to a birthday party for a friend. I remember sitting with my legs crossed the whole time,  wonder if that did it?  I want to cry, I want it over.  Have an appointment with my rheumatologist on Tuesday, I hope he gives me a steroid shot.

Jty or anyone else ever do exercises for bursitis?  Does it work? 

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 09:59:50 AM »
Shit of the bitch, it was going away, now it's back. I was on my 2nd day of my medrol pack and I was getting noticeably better. Went shopping with my mom then went to a birthday party for a friend. I remember sitting with my legs crossed the whole time,  wonder if that did it?  I want to cry, I want it over.  Have an appointment with my rheumatologist on Tuesday, I hope he gives me a steroid shot.

Jty or anyone else ever do exercises for bursitis?  Does it work? 

Stretch, stretch, stretch and ultimately strengthening the muscles around the entire area so they support everything better and all work in conjunction to stabalize the area.

Here are some sites, Julie. One has the strengthening exercises that are helpful(probably better once this clears up though) and the other has the stretches for the Iliotibial Band that is involved in bursitis. Yoga and pilates both are very very helpful for strengthening both the core(abs/lower back) and hip area. WE do 'hip openers' and they  are very helpful for stretching.

http://www.pilates-back-joint-exercise.com/iliotibial-band-stretch.html

http://www.pilates-back-joint-exercise.com/hip-bursitis-exercise.html

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 10:05:01 AM »
If you sleep on that side, it could be a pressure problem. I get those every once in a while because I sleep on my side. Since I've changed mattresses, it's not nearly as frequent, but it still happens on occasion.

Thor is right on the mark here.    Back and leg pains may be from your mattress.

We bought a new Mattress about 3 years ago, set it on the floor as the Dogs were getting too old to jump up on the bed to sleep with us.

Hubby weighs over 100 pounds then I do, he is a big man, not fat just tall and big boned.  
Me I come in at about 110 on a fat day.

We have our side of the bed for sleeping and seldom change sides.    

Lately I have been getting back and leg problems and after reading this forum decided it was time to flip the mattress.

Now I am looking at it, the mattress is a king size and I wonder how we can do this without throwing out both our backs.     How do we do this, can we grab the top slide it up and let it crash down upside down ????

Say you guys will we survive this feat of strength with out any problem or both end up in ICU ?????  

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 04:52:06 PM »
I had a cortisone shot in my hip Tuesday. At first it hurt worse but I would say its about 85-90% better today.  It feels good to feel almost normal again after two weeks of hardly being able to walk.

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 10:33:21 PM »
Keep moving it Begs. I had Bursitis in my knee one time and it froze up. I could not bend it. I had to go to the chiropractor. He broke it lose. Very painful. You may be getting the wrong kind of calicium and maybe not enough magnesium. I'm glad you're better.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 06:36:55 AM »
I had a cortisone shot in my hip Tuesday. At first it hurt worse but I would say its about 85-90% better today.  It feels good to feel almost normal again after two weeks of hardly being able to walk.

Did your doctor say what s/he thought was the cause?  I feel for you; you've got far too many health issues to cope with.