Author Topic: Gum Surgery?  (Read 6160 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Gum Surgery?
« on: January 19, 2011, 09:22:22 PM »
Anyone out here had it?  Thanks to some freaking fabulous genetics, it has been prescribed for me. After my Mom's botched job, I am a bit uneasy about it.  Any advise would be welcomed.  Thanks. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Gum Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 09:24:09 PM »
What are they doing?

My brother had a broken tooth that got infected.  Had to have it cut out.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:31:42 PM »
They cut the gum, clean the tooth, and put the gum back where it was.  Sound like fun?

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Other than the tooth thing, that doesn't sound too awful.  Bone reconstruction/surgery isn't painful initially but the healing and aftereffects are not pleasant.  If you've ever broken a bone, it's sorta the same thing.

Don't be shy about asking for anesthetic. :wink:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 09:36:39 PM »
Oh yeah, I know about that anesthesia.   :whatever:

I have a few months before having it done, but I just want to make sure I have a good idea about what to expect. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 09:44:51 PM »
We can compare bills later.  I used between $1200 and $1500 in anesthesia during each of the three (four?) operations I've had since 2007.  That stuff is pricey.

They'll probably give you a local... just make sure they give you enough.  I had a combination of general and local.  I asked them if I could take some home with me.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 08:32:20 AM »
After a couple-three decades of brushing too firmly, I had some receding gums that were creating problems. In 2002, I had gum transplant surgery.

The surgeon harvests a strip of tissue off the roof of your mouth and transplants it to the area of your gums that needs the tissue. He has to route a blood supply so the tissue doesn't die and I imagine it's fairly tricky stuff.

They fit a mouthpiece to your mouth, which you're supposed to wear to shield the roof of your mouth from eating, etc., but in my case, the knothead dingbat nurse that fitted me did it improperly. It was too long, which forced the gag reflex and after I got tired of that, I ditched the mouthpiece.

It was freaking HORRIBLE. I've never known pain like that. But I had a follow-up a couple-three days later. When I explained to the surgeon about the mouthpiece thing, he stopped what he was doing, called his entire staff in my little cubicle, and calmly explained to them what his expectations were regarding treatment of this nature.

The same dingbat was in the room and while he didn't call her out by name, there was some definite squirming coming from her direction.

He was a very competent surgeon and very attentive to his patients. He wasn't cheap.

But when they tell you to wear a mouthpiece and it doesn't fit properly, RUN - DO NOT WALK - back to the office and ask that it be refitted.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 08:58:02 AM »
This is a similar procedure, but without the grafting bits.  Since I grind my teeth, the perio said he won't do the surgery until my mouthguard is made and fitted properly. 

How are your gums now Euph?  If I am not getting too personal.   O-)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 09:57:32 AM »
After a couple-three decades of brushing too firmly, I had some receding gums that were creating problems. In 2002, I had gum transplant surgery.

The surgeon harvests a strip of tissue off the roof of your mouth and transplants it to the area of your gums that needs the tissue. He has to route a blood supply so the tissue doesn't die and I imagine it's fairly tricky stuff.

They fit a mouthpiece to your mouth, which you're supposed to wear to shield the roof of your mouth from eating, etc., but in my case, the knothead dingbat nurse that fitted me did it improperly. It was too long, which forced the gag reflex and after I got tired of that, I ditched the mouthpiece.

It was freaking HORRIBLE. I've never known pain like that. But I had a follow-up a couple-three days later. When I explained to the surgeon about the mouthpiece thing, he stopped what he was doing, called his entire staff in my little cubicle, and calmly explained to them what his expectations were regarding treatment of this nature.

The same dingbat was in the room and while he didn't call her out by name, there was some definite squirming coming from her direction.

He was a very competent surgeon and very attentive to his patients. He wasn't cheap.

But when they tell you to wear a mouthpiece and it doesn't fit properly, RUN - DO NOT WALK - back to the office and ask that it be refitted.

I have never heard of this until a coworker a woman in her 30ies had it done and a few of us woman were very interested in the why and where for--cost etc.

From what we understood is that adults use the wrong tooth brush, A soft is best as over time anything else will cause problems with the gums.    Why the medium and hard bristles are even made for oral hygiene is a question.

All that Eupher said is true, she took 2 days off work from vacation to give her 5 days to recover.  She bounced back in to work showing everyone her mouth and non ob seeable marks of any kind.

Lesson here is never brush teeth of a child or adult with any brush other then soft.    Use the other brushes to clean grout off the tile or to clean anything but teeth. 

BTW If one looks at pictures of the civil war soldiers you may notice a stick in their left pocket, that was their toothbrush that they all carried, we found one in a trunk that was from that age and the bristles were made from quills of a porcupine, very stiff.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 10:20:27 AM »
This is a similar procedure, but without the grafting bits.  Since I grind my teeth, the perio said he won't do the surgery until my mouthguard is made and fitted properly. 

How are your gums now Euph?  If I am not getting too personal.   O-)

Yes, right, "grafting" is the correct term. I think I said transplant. (Sounds like a liver or kidney thing.  :lmao:)

And yes, I also grind my teeth and I've been wearing a mouthguard at night for maybe 8-9 years now. The type I get in the drugstore (still expensive at about $30) is enough for me - screw that custom-fitted crap for hundreds of $$.

My gums are fine. Recession has stopped. All I have to do is keep from using a heavy hand while brushing and I should be okay till I croak.  :-)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 10:22:50 AM »
I have never heard of this until a coworker a woman in her 30ies had it done and a few of us woman were very interested in the why and where for--cost etc.

From what we understood is that adults use the wrong tooth brush, A soft is best as over time anything else will cause problems with the gums.    Why the medium and hard bristles are even made for oral hygiene is a question.

All that Eupher said is true, she took 2 days off work from vacation to give her 5 days to recover.  She bounced back in to work showing everyone her mouth and non ob seeable marks of any kind.

Lesson here is never brush teeth of a child or adult with any brush other then soft.    Use the other brushes to clean grout off the tile or to clean anything but teeth. 

BTW If one looks at pictures of the civil war soldiers you may notice a stick in their left pocket, that was their toothbrush that they all carried, we found one in a trunk that was from that age and the bristles were made from quills of a porcupine, very stiff.

I've always used a soft brush - my problem wasn't the stiffness of the brush, it was my heavy-handedness in brushing.

Oh, and I took no time off after that surgery, though I was miserable and cranky as hell. Probably should've taken time off and spared some lives in the process.  :rotf:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 10:26:02 AM »
Yes, right, "grafting" is the correct term. I think I said transplant. (Sounds like a liver or kidney thing.  :lmao:)

And yes, I also grind my teeth and I've been wearing a mouthguard at night for maybe 8-9 years now. The type I get in the drugstore (still expensive at about $30) is enough for me - screw that custom-fitted crap for hundreds of $$.

My gums are fine. Recession has stopped. All I have to do is keep from using a heavy hand while brushing and I should be okay till I croak.  :-)

Thanks for the input, I feel better now.  I had a mouthguard built before my wisdom teeth were pulled, and it doesn't fit anymore.  I use the drugstore ones, but spit them out in the middle of the night.  I am hopeless like that.  The surgery is going to be two, actually, one week apart.  I am hoping to schedule on a Friday, so I don't take any time off work.  Misery is no reason to ruin a perfectly good vacation day.   :-)

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 08:48:46 PM »
I don't know if you have heard of Peri-Gum. You can get it at most health food stores. It is a gargle that help most any teeth and gum problems. Bad teeth, infection, receding gums, bone lose, abscesses,and other problems. It's strong and takes very little.

I have read to that most teeth grinding comes from possible parasites in the body. There are parasite cleanses that work fairly well.

I'll send prayers and blessings on your surgery days. Good Luck. :blowkiss:
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »
I don't know if you have heard of Peri-Gum. You can get it at most health food stores. It is a gargle that help most any teeth and gum problems. Bad teeth, infection, receding gums, bone lose, abscesses,and other problems. It's strong and takes very little.

I have read to that most teeth grinding comes from possible parasites in the body. There are parasite cleanses that work fairly well.

I'll send prayers and blessings on your surgery days. Good Luck. :blowkiss:

Parasites? Oh my!  Thanks for the prayers, it won't be for several months.  I have a whole lot of stuff to get done before I get to that point, but I will keep you posted.  Do you know of a good health food store in the Dallas area, that you would recommend?  I am also very interested in the teeth grinding issue you mentioned.  Post here, or PM, I will read either.  I appreciate your input!

Offline Inga

• Be Ready
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 10:38:13 PM »
Most Whole Food Stores would usually have what you need. The Peri-gum runs about $24.00. For parasites you could do Micheal's Paraherb,1 with each meal and 2 Acidophilus at bedtime. The paraherb kills the parasites ,but it also kills good and bad bacteria. So taking the Acidophilus will rebuild good flora in the stomach and colon. This is and 8 week on and 4 weeks off and 8 week on program. Paraherb runs about $23.00 and the Acidophilus runs about $14.00-$18.00 a bottle. If you can't find it we ship from my store. If you need more information let me know.
There will always be "Battles" to fight.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 11:52:52 AM »
Thanks Inga!

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 10:38:21 PM »
How bad has the gingiva [tissue] receded ?  Think I would get a second opinion from another Periodontist, and see about a deep gingival scaling, before having any surgery.  A lot of times that and proper brushing and dental floss will halt further receding.  As far as 'horse remedies' at the store - forget them..... warm salt water for a day after, then a 50%50% mixture of hydrogin peroxide and water after cleaning, for three days.  They can do a quadrant at a time [4 quadrants in the mouth], plus if needed the same injections you get for any fillings or dental work.  It's alot cheaper and usually works as well, with a lot less discomfort.  

Disclaimer:My opinion and suggestion only not a diagnosis.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 10:53:45 PM by rustybayonet »
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 06:25:19 AM »
How bad has the gingiva [tissue] receded ?  Think I would get a second opinion from another Periodontist, and see about a deep gingival scaling, before having any surgery.  A lot of times that and proper brushing and dental floss will halt further receding.  As far as 'horse remedies' at the store - forget them..... warm salt water for a day after, then a 50%50% mixture of hydrogin peroxide and water after cleaning, for three days.  They can do a quadrant at a time [4 quadrants in the mouth], plus if needed the same injections you get for any fillings or dental work.  It's alot cheaper and usually works as well, with a lot less discomfort.  

Rusty's used some terms here that I had forgotten - on me, at least, they'd done the "gingival scaling" because not only did I have the receding gums, but I had periodontal disease bad enough to lose two molars. Needless to say, that had to stop post-haste. And it did.

I had a great surgeon who fixed the receding gums bit, but I had to get my act together with proper dental care. I simply was not going to lose any more teeth.

Thank God for proxy brushes. Best thing invented since sliced bread.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 07:14:12 AM »

Prior to the surgery, I will have the deep scaling, for my regular receded pockets.  There are a few sections in the back of my mouth that are too deep for the deep scaling, hence the surgery.  It isn't significant, yet.  Two spots at the back of my mouth that need to be taken care of.  Back there I have pockets measuring 9.  The rest is a good average of 3, so the scaling should help that. 

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 07:31:56 AM »
Rusty's used some terms here that I had forgotten - on me, at least, they'd done the "gingival scaling" because not only did I have the receding gums, but I had periodontal disease bad enough to lose two molars. Needless to say, that had to stop post-haste. And it did.

I had a great surgeon who fixed the receding gums bit, but I had to get my act together with proper dental care. I simply was not going to lose any more teeth.

Thank God for proxy brushes. Best thing invented since sliced bread.

Times change as do medical procedures.   I was not yet born when all 4 grandparents had all teeth pulled and received dentures.

As a child I wondered why my grandparents had tooth brushes to brush their gums, and the dentures.    The thinking at that time was as dentures were very expensive it was necessary to keep the gums and bone in good shape as to lesson the chances of loose or ill fitting dentures.  

For some reason this worked for those in that generation, gentil massaging of the gums twice a day kept the dentures in place for years.

Also a gargle of water and hydrogen peroxide killed any bacteria in the mouth that could infect the gum or bone.

Until 30 or so years a Dentist was the step child of the medical comunity.  Today we now know all the results of bad teeth to heart problems to digestive disorders.  Dental insurance is seldom in the packet for medical insurance, or at most $1,000 a year for each family member.  

We all have wisdom teeth that will at some time in our life need to be pulled.  Today's going rate is around, in this area $800 per tooth.
To pull all 4 that's $3,200---If through the dentist fault you come up with a dry socket, another $300.

Little by little with all the snack food and even drinking orange juice everyday the Dentists have come into their own. They are still thought of as the step child of medicine but in some cases making more money then a family practitioner or some who specialise in plastic surgery.

How on earth the Medical comunity can get insurance for a family practitioner yet deny that a Dentist is actually removing parts of the human skull and is  not a life saving procedure  is a wonder to me.    

My advise to anyone who gets the deep scaling treatment is to DEMAND Novocaine first, I've had it both ways with and without the number and there is no way I will ever get that treatment without the Novocain.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 07:33:20 AM »
Oh yeah Vesta. For the scaling I will have nitrous, and novacaine.  I know better.  Now. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 11:38:44 AM »
Oh yeah Vesta. For the scaling I will have nitrous, and novacaine.  I know better.  Now. 

The scaling really isn't that bad - novacaine (or whatever they call that stuff these days) really takes care of the pain. All you feel is a little pressure.

Now, if you WANT to get giggly, that's something else altogether......

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 06:21:09 PM »
The scaling really isn't that bad - novacaine (or whatever they call that stuff these days) really takes care of the pain. All you feel is a little pressure.

Now, if you WANT to get giggly, that's something else altogether......

I know.  I was hoping for nitrous on my way out, but that is probably too much to ask.   :whatever: