The Bar > Sports

With Beer Sales banned, World Cup fans Forced To Just Sit There And Watch Soccer

<< < (2/3) > >>

Drafe Hoblin:

--- Quote from: Ralph Wiggum on November 22, 2022, 08:35:22 AM ---Admittedly am not a fan of soccer/futbol but I understand the sport.

Since the U.S. is in a group with Wales, England, and Iran, that tie with Wales could be difficult to overcome. The U.S. should lose to England and destroy Iran just as England did. So to advance to the Round of 16, assuming Wales loses to England and beats Iran, the 2nd qualifier would come down to whichever squad has the best goal +/- advantage. Am I understanding that correctly?

--- End quote ---

Yep.  You got it.

England should win the group, but there were signs of chinkiness.  Allowing scoring-situations to develop against them outside of normal game-flow.  USA and Wales didn't show signs of not-following-through on something.

Ralph Wiggum:

--- Quote from: Drafe Hoblin on November 22, 2022, 09:12:54 AM ---

Yep.  You got it.

England should win the group, but there were signs of chinkiness.  Allowing scoring-situations to develop against them outside of normal game-flow.  USA and Wales didn't show signs of not-following-through on something.

--- End quote ---

Don't watch enough matches to fully comprehend how a teams "chinkiness" works in soccer. I can understand and recognize when a baseball/baseball/American Football team seems to be underperforming based on their talent level.

My alma mater has had an agonizing 8 consecutive Saturdays of difficult but ultimately victorious games. It hasn't done wonders for my blood pressure.

Drafe Hoblin:

--- Quote from: Ralph Wiggum on November 22, 2022, 12:29:03 PM ---Don't watch enough matches to fully comprehend how a teams "chinkiness" works in soccer.

--- End quote ---

Not walling-off every opposing player who penetrates the zone along either side of their net, choosing to wall-off the center instead.  Both of Iran's goals resulted from a 'lucky' kick from the corner.  (one off a penalty-kick, after a clumsy over-correction by England)  Armor-chink.

Congrats to Japan after beating my Cup-pick:  Germany. 

freedumb2003b:

--- Quote from: Drafe Hoblin on November 23, 2022, 10:58:56 PM ---

Not walling-off every opposing player who penetrates the zone along either side of their net, choosing to wall-off the center instead.  Both of Iran's goals resulted from a 'lucky' kick from the corner.  (one off a penalty-kick, after a clumsy over-correction by England)  Armor-chink.

Congrats to Japan after beating my Cup-pick:  Germany.

--- End quote ---

I thought chinkiness was for Chinese not Japanese! ;)

Drafe Hoblin:

--- Quote from: freedumb2003b on November 24, 2022, 05:04:33 AM ---I thought chinkiness was for Chinese not Japanese! ;)

--- End quote ---

:wink: If the ancient Hindu's never called the 'Chinese Empire' Qin, other Hindu's would've never mispronounced it as 'Sin'...  but we'd probably, currently, be calling them 'Sinks'.

USA/England... sports bummer of the year.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version