Author Topic: What is your educational background?  (Read 17168 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: What is your educational background?
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2008, 07:58:07 AM »
BS in Nuclear Technology from Thomas Edison State College (took Navy Nuke School along with my Georgia Tech credits, did a few extra courses, got degree).

Currently working on BS in Electrical Engineering and after that considering either MSEE or MBA program.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Flame

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2008, 08:04:50 AM »
BA in psychology, and certified k-6 teacher.  Haven't worked full time for a number of years, though.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2008, 08:10:38 AM »
BA in Computer Science. 23 years in the defense business.... programming yur bombz. Now, in a commercial business analyst role, counting yur tacos.  :lmao:
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: What is your background?
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2008, 08:17:14 AM »
No college degree here, but I did go for a couple of years to University of North Texas.

I've managed a coffee shop.  I'm now learning (but I got a pretty good grasp of it) the accounts receivable position at a car dealership.  There's a school around here that actually teaches accounting for dealerships, and I'm thinking this summer I'm going to enroll in some of them.  I'd like to learn more about what my boss does.  :)
My wife graduated from NT, back when it was NTSU.   :cheersmate:

I'm an Aggie (in case you couldn't already tell).  I have two bachelors degrees from Texas A&M University...Architecture and Landscape Architecture.  I'm licensed in both fields.

:old:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
I'm six months away from completing my Bachelor of Applied Science degree in Information Systems.   :p
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2008, 09:40:44 AM »
No college yet but planning to very soon. I really want to major in history, more focused on ancient history. I would LOVE to go on digs in the UK or something.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2008, 09:45:06 AM »
I've got a BA in history  :-)  I really enjoyed studying history, but I did have a couple of moonbat professors. 

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2008, 09:53:47 AM »
I've got a BA in history  :-)  I really enjoyed studying history, but I did have a couple of moonbat professors. 

They proubly won't pass you if you punched them in the nose, huh?

Offline redwhit

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2008, 09:58:06 AM »
No college yet but planning to very soon. I really want to major in history, more focused on ancient history. I would LOVE to go on digs in the UK or something.

Good for you!  That's actually a pretty hot field right now.  For a long time, archaeologists and historians sneered at each other but in, say, the past 15 years or so, it's become a pretty hot ticket.  History/anthropology too.  Your career prospects go wayyyyyyy up if you go that route.

I'd rather just sit in a dusty archive, thanks.  :-)

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2008, 10:06:14 AM »

They proubly won't pass you if you punched them in the nose, huh?

Punching professors is probably not the best way to pass, no  :-)  One class I took was 20th century Russia, taught by a card carrying communist (the communist party of America apparently really does issue cards to their members).  Well, there was also a guy in that class who had lived in Soviet Russia and was absolutely conservative.  There were some really fun discussions  :-)  She would say something, and then he would argue with her, especially as we got into the 80's where he had actual memories of the Soviet Union  :cheersmate:

Also, I took that class when Hurricane Katrina had happened, and we regularly spent a good chunk of the class arguing about how Bush was at fault for the handling of it  :thatsright:

If you ever want moonbat professor stories, I've got a bunch.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2008, 11:00:16 AM »
I have a nearly 30-year old Bachelor's in education. I wanted to major in English, and didn't know what else to do with an English major, so I majored in education even though I knew I didn't really want to teach.

I have done nothing with my education. EVER. Life happened. I was a full-time mom for more than 20 years, have had a couple of part-time jobs, and now wish (at the advanced age of 52) with my whole being that I had majored in journalism, since I would have been very good at it.

I must say, though, that seeing all of you still continuing your educations and working toward goals makes me see that I may not be too old . . .

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2008, 11:10:04 AM »
I'm Uneducated. I actually have enough college credits for 3 degrees, yet they are all split between 4 schools  :banghead:

There is only a handfull of schools that give a metrology assocoiates, and only about 2-5 schools that will give BS, or MS in metrology. ISO has ruined the days of being a metrologist without a degree, every employer wants someone with a degree, regardless of experience.  :censored:
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2008, 11:17:13 AM »
I have a nearly 30-year old Bachelor's in education. I wanted to major in English, and didn't know what else to do with an English major, so I majored in education even though I knew I didn't really want to teach.

I have done nothing with my education. EVER. Life happened. I was a full-time mom for more than 20 years, have had a couple of part-time jobs, and now wish (at the advanced age of 52) with my whole being that I had majored in journalism, since I would have been very good at it.

I must say, though, that seeing all of you still continuing your educations and working toward goals makes me see that I may not be too old . . .

I wouldn't say you have done nothing with your education. I think motherhood is the most under-rated profession in the world. I dabbled enough in my job to remain current while raising kids. I suppose I could have poured myself in to my career and be in a much better place career-wise, but I would have been miserable missing my children growing up.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2008, 11:20:34 AM »
I'm Uneducated. I actually have enough college credits for 3 degrees, yet they are all split between 4 schools  :banghead:

There is only a handfull of schools that give a metrology assocoiates, and only about 2-5 schools that will give BS, or MS in metrology. ISO has ruined the days of being a metrologist without a degree, every employer wants someone with a degree, regardless of experience.  :censored:

Unfortunately, you are right about the emphasis put on a college degree. I come from an era where non-degreed people climbed up through the ranks and became engineers. They were mainly trade school graduates, but they kicked butt on most of the degreed electrical engineers. The piece of paper does not always guarantee application of knowledge. 

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2008, 11:28:32 AM »

I wouldn't say you have done nothing with your education. I think motherhood is the most under-rated profession in the world. I dabbled enough in my job to remain current while raising kids. I suppose I could have poured myself in to my career and be in a much better place career-wise, but I would have been miserable missing my children growing up.
Well, I agree that momhood is very important, but the kids grow up and move away and leave some of us at loose ends. If I had worked all those years, I'd have a reason to get up in the morning now. And more $$ to travel to see the kids! And a reason to buy nice clothes. And interesting colleagues. And a feeling of being productive. And a little more independence. Etc.

I also feel that I would be a little less "taken for granted" by my now-adult children.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2008, 11:37:33 AM »

Well, I agree that momhood is very important, but the kids grow up and move away and leave some of us at loose ends. If I had worked all those years, I'd have a reason to get up in the morning now. And more $$ to travel to see the kids! And a reason to buy nice clothes. And interesting colleagues. And a feeling of being productive. And a little more independence. Etc.

I also feel that I would be a little less "taken for granted" by my now-adult children.

I agree... it is also a thankless profession. Good luck Mary Ann, I hope that you are able to pursue your dreams.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2008, 11:51:29 AM »
MaryAnn....we sound similar.

I have a 34 yr old BA in Sociology with a concentration in Criminal Justice (that's what it was called back then), minors in Psych and Anthropology, and 1 class away from minors in History and English.

I'm pretty good at Trivial Pursuit!

I worked for Xerox before I got married...was a management trainee as I was the only female with a college degree in the office....gave it up to get married and move halfway across the country.  :thatsright:

Did the mom thing and super community volunteer for 15 years...then needed a job when I got divorced. Wasn't pretty....

I have been a Realtor for almost 11 years though, and after several years of primarily doing new construction sales, I now do foreclosures from eviction through sale to new owner, and broker price opinions (analyze the value of the property) for a variety of mortgage companies for various reasons...refinancing, home equity loans, pre-foreclosure, foreclosure, etc.

I do keep thinking about going back to school....I've thought about law school for years...not to be a lawyer - but to see if I can get through it.  It's a mental competition thing within myself...both my siblings are engineers and I can't balance my checkbook! :loser:

ACC....my daughter is a radiology tech...she works at a walk-in clinic here....great hours and terrific money. She really likes it. Her husband is an intervention radiology tech at a level one trauma center. They will never have to worry about being un-employed.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline vftb

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2008, 12:12:49 PM »
I've got a degree in accounting, but I did stay at a Holiday in last night  :-) :-)

Got out of the service and kind of closed my eyes and poked at the major sheet and came up with accounting.  Was too lazy to change majors, so followed through with it.  Never did any real accounting work, used the degree to leverage my way into operations.  Ran a couple of mid-sized tech. companies along the way, finally got tired of working for other people and started my own company; we're kind of a specialty contractor.
To err is human, to really **** things up you need a computer

Offline Lauri

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2008, 12:28:43 PM »
i have a couple of degrees (nursing, English/Journalism) and started out my youth cutting hair... which i still do, but only for my family..

i really dont even count that i was all that 'educated' until i started knowing what was going on in the world though.. which started ten years ago and which is still ongoing.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2008, 12:34:30 PM »
MaryAnn....we sound similar.

I have a 34 yr old BA in Sociology with a concentration in Criminal Justice (that's what it was called back then), minors in Psych and Anthropology, and 1 class away from minors in History and English.

I'm pretty good at Trivial Pursuit!

I worked for Xerox before I got married...was a management trainee as I was the only female with a college degree in the office....gave it up to get married and move halfway across the country.  :thatsright:

Did the mom thing and super community volunteer for 15 years...then needed a job when I got divorced. Wasn't pretty....

I have been a Realtor for almost 11 years though, and after several years of primarily doing new construction sales, I now do foreclosures from eviction through sale to new owner, and broker price opinions (analyze the value of the property) for a variety of mortgage companies for various reasons...refinancing, home equity loans, pre-foreclosure, foreclosure, etc.

I do keep thinking about going back to school....I've thought about law school for years...not to be a lawyer - but to see if I can get through it.  It's a mental competition thing within myself...both my siblings are engineers and I can't balance my checkbook! :loser:

ACC....my daughter is a radiology tech...she works at a walk-in clinic here....great hours and terrific money. She really likes it. Her husband is an intervention radiology tech at a level one trauma center. They will never have to worry about being un-employed.

I thought about being a realtor, but here in Michigan, especially in the area we are, it wouldn't pay very well, and I would probably cross my 'frustration level' very quickly!

While I always knew in theory that my kids would grow up someday, I thought it would take a whole lot longer than it actually did. As a mom, I'm sure you know what I mean. Anyway, I never gave a whole lot of thought about what I would do after that happened.

Offline Lisa

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2008, 02:36:48 PM »
I have a BA in history and sociology from Kent State University, and a paralegal certificate from a community college. Hubby's got a law degree. Sure doesn't mean we're any smarter than those without degrees, though. I've known people with a ton of fancy-pants "bragging frames" on their walls who don't know shit, and I've known people with not a day of education beyond high school who were very smart and successful.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2008, 02:39:10 PM »
I thought about being a realtor, but here in Michigan, especially in the area we are, it wouldn't pay very well, and I would probably cross my 'frustration level' very quickly!

While I always knew in theory that my kids would grow up someday, I thought it would take a whole lot longer than it actually did. As a mom, I'm sure you know what I mean. Anyway, I never gave a whole lot of thought about what I would do after that happened.

I didn't expect to be divorced and job hunting. Where I live there isn't a whole lot that I could do with my degree except go to work at Child Services or parole/probation officer.

Both those are really long hours for very little pay in this area...even police and firepersons work 2 and 3 jobs.

I don't make a lot of money...though "a lot" is relative...but I don't have fixed hours which I like as I am not a nice person before 10am.

One of the benefits of what I do now....my work clothes out of the house are jeans and a shirt, a sweater, or sweatshirt, depending on where I'm going. In the house, it's everything from pj's to sweats to shorts and a t-shirt in the summer. I also have minimal expenses as I don't advertise the foreclosures. Eliminating my advertising expenses makes a huge difference in my net.

I also have eliminated the guilt/aggravation of something not selling...if it doesn't sell now, the bank just lowers the price. There's no emotional factor in the equation of selling. The emotional factor in the eviction is horrendous though....I am having trouble with that part. :(

You could get your real estate license though and do the broker price opinions. In your area, I would think there are a lot of them. Steady money coming in....and you chose how many you do in a month.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline djones520

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2008, 05:14:46 PM »
I would as of right now fill out the High School with some College box.

Pending the results of my Speech CLEP test, I will have my Associates for Weather Technologies, or something like that.

I intend on tackling the rest of my Bachellors at my next duty station.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2008, 05:16:31 PM »

Pending the results of my Speech CLEP test, I will have my Associates for Weather Technologies, or something like that.

The Air Force has a great Associates program, which is accredited. I wish the Navy would have had such a thing.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline djones520

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2008, 05:34:42 PM »

The Air Force has a great Associates program, which is accredited. I wish the Navy would have had such a thing.

Yeah, the other branches always joke about the CCAF, but I know it's just jealousy.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."