Author Topic: What is your educational background?  (Read 17100 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
What is your educational background?
« on: January 26, 2008, 11:01:52 PM »
I was chatting with BC in the shoutbox when I realized that he was the most incredibly educated
person that I have probably ever met.

I have a B.S. in computer science and statistics from the university of southern mississippi.

y'all?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 11:09:59 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Miss Mia

Re: What is your background?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 11:04:12 PM »
No college degree here, but I did go for a couple of years to University of North Texas.

I've managed a coffee shop.  I'm now learning (but I got a pretty good grasp of it) the accounts receivable position at a car dealership.  There's a school around here that actually teaches accounting for dealerships, and I'm thinking this summer I'm going to enroll in some of them.  I'd like to learn more about what my boss does.  :)
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 11:06:23 PM »
No college degree here, but I did go for a couple of years to University of North Texas.

I've managed a coffee shop.  I'm now learning (but I got a pretty good grasp of it) the accounts receivable position at a car dealership.  There's a school around here that actually teaches accounting for dealerships, and I'm thinking this summer I'm going to enroll in some of them.  I'd like to learn more about what my boss does.  :)

we kicked UNT in a bowl game a few years ago.  all the chicks were hot, though.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 11:08:18 PM »
I have an associate's in business administration.  I thought about getting the MBA, but there was a turn of events that made me rethink my major.

Now, I am attending a college to gain a bachelor's in the radiologic sciences, so I can become an MRI technician.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 11:09:23 PM »
I have an associate's in business administration.  I thought about getting the MBA, but there was a turn of events that made me rethink my major.

Now, I am attending a college to gain a bachelor's in the radiologic sciences, so I can become an MRI technician.

radiology rocks.  hell, all medical fields rock.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 11:09:51 PM »

we kicked UNT in a bowl game a few years ago.  all the chicks were hot, though.

LOL.  I lived behind the football stadium my sophomore year. 

And of course the girls were hot, they're from Texas. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 11:10:48 PM »

Well, I take after my dad (a radiologist) more than I thought I did. LOL   This will be a much more exciting field for me. :)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 11:12:28 PM »

It takes a while to figure out what's a good fit.  I originally went to school as an English major. I was going to teach.  Then I realized that's probably not a good field for me.  That's why I stopped going to school.  I did management at the coffee shop.  That's not for me.  And now I'm working accounting.  That' a good fit for me.
Stink Eye

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 11:13:05 PM »

Well, I take after my dad (a radiologist) more than I thought I did. LOL   This will be a much more exciting field for me. :)

it is an exciting field, for sure.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: What is your educational background?
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 11:19:20 PM »
I have a thoroughly useless BA in Management.

Not Business Management mind you, simply Management. Spent more time and effort with my minor, which was German. That shit's rusty as hell now since I no longer speak it at home.

I started an MBA, but got one statistics course done before getting immersed at work.  :hyper:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 11:21:32 PM »
associate's in criminal justice
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 11:25:40 PM »
Damn all these edumacted people hanging around here and I am just a dumb ole redneck.  :-)

I am about 2 semesters away from a degree in electronics. When I can get my student loans caught back up I hope to finish my jedi electronics training.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 11:30:59 PM »
Damn all these edumacted people hanging around here and I am just a dumb ole redneck.  :-)

I am about 2 semesters away from a degree in electronics. When I can get my student loans caught back up I hope to finish my jedi electronics training.

conservatives are, almost by definition, edumacated.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 11:34:28 PM »

Well there are a few of us out there without degrees. Besides I'm a neocon so maybe that rule doesnt apply to us neocons.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 11:35:26 PM »

Well there are a few of us out there without degrees. Besides I'm a neocon so maybe that rule doesnt apply to us neocons.  :-)

ah, you are right.  we neocons are all retards. :-)

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 11:36:55 PM »

ah, you are right.  we neocons are all retards. :-)

Well someday I hope I can afford to go back to school and no longer be just a dumb ole redneck.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 11:40:12 PM »

Freeper, I don't have a degree either.  I'm getting "experience."  I think I'm going to try and take some classes though.  I'm poor enough I should get some kind of aid.
Stink Eye

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 11:43:39 PM »

Freeper, I don't have a degree either.  I'm getting "experience."  I think I'm going to try and take some classes though.  I'm poor enough I should get some kind of aid.

My advice if you have the chance take the classes. If I could borrow a dolorean with a flux capacitor installed I would go back and finish school.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 11:45:31 PM »

I am probably creating an atmosphere that I didn't intend.  some of the most successful people that I
have ever met barely got through high school.

I apologize for creating the wrong impression.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 11:47:15 PM »

I am probably creating an atmosphere that I didn't intend.  some of the most successful people that I
have ever met barely got through high school.

I apologize for creating the wrong impression.

You didn't create any impressions. I think its cool we have so many educated people here.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 11:47:18 PM »

yeah, but you are a fast-tracker on your way to sales.  there is big money in that.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 01:35:44 AM »
Associate of Science in Nursing, working on a B.N. from the University of Dundee in Scotland, of all places. I don't know why, though. It's unlikely to garner me any more money and I have no desire to work in administration. I'm perfectly happy to be working in a clinical setting.

If I took a position in Admin my base pay might go up, but I'd still be making less money because I'd lose out on shift differential, weekend differential, incentive pay, etc. However, I'd advise new nurses to go ahead and go for the BSN. It might be a requirement one day if the nursing shortage ever eases up.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline redwhit

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 06:21:13 AM »
B.S. History, one thesis away from an M.A.  Actually spending today finishing applications for (God help me) Ph.D. school.  It's amazing - when I first tried college nearly 20 years ago I hated everything about it and dropped out as fast as I could.  Now, looking for the career change and actually caring about the education, it's one of the best things I've ever done.  Especially since universities continue to be willing to pay me to go there. :naughty:

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 07:29:50 AM »
B.A. in English, specialty in Technical Writing.

Teaching certification,

A handful of credits away from Masters.

And yet, I'm not a moonbat.  :-)
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline redwhit

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 07:48:36 AM »

And yet, I'm not a moonbat.  :-)

Oddly, me neither. :-)
I don't know if it's dumb luck or what but, except in a very few cases, I've not run into the barking moonbat profs either.  Or maybe I bark more than I realize ... :o