Author Topic: Woman charged with selling veggies by pound  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
Woman charged with selling veggies by pound
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:46:09 AM »
BIZNETDAILY
Woman charged with selling veggies by pound
'We have knifings. We have killings, and they're taking me to court'
Posted: January 25, 2008
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2008 WorldNetDaily.com

A woman running a vegetable stand in London's West End is facing fines of up to $130,000 and the possible loss of her business because she was caught by the government selling her produce by the ounce and pound.

According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, Janet Devers, 63, was notified of the criminal counts with a 67-page letter that arrived in the mail, outlining 13 criminal charges relating to the "improper" pricing of goods as well as the offense of selling vegetables in bowls.

"It's disgusting," she told the newspaper. "We have knifings. We have killings. And they're taking me to court because I'm selling in pounds and ounces."

That, of course, isn't allowed under a European Union-mandated rule that all its nations must use metric measures, so veggies have to be weighed in grams and kilograms.

But pounds, pints and miles are what Britishers know best, said Scott Lomax, another vegetable stall owner. "Who's to tell us to change?"

More: http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59882
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Re: Woman charged with selling veggies by pound
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 07:00:36 AM »
The poor subjects of teh EU, screwed again.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 07:05:18 AM »
Reminds me of the ill-fated efforts of Congress when it passed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 (signed into law by Gerald Ford -- another slip and stumble perhaps?).

The Board resulting from that law was shitcanned by President Reagan in 1982 and the law essentially has been diluted ever since (except for requiring plans for federal buildings to be written up in the metric system, packaging and labeling requirements by FDA, and other silliness) and is today a shining example of how the government ****s up everything it touches.

When we're ready to move into the metric system (the markets will tell us when), we'll do so.

Until then, pound sand.  :bird:

Oh, in case anybody wonders, I happen to have lived in Europe a very long time and I'm very comfortable with mls, grams, kph, meters, and such.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:25:36 AM »
Reminds me of the ill-fated efforts of Congress when it passed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 (signed into law by Gerald Ford -- another slip and stumble perhaps?).

I remember my 1978 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser stationwagon's speedometer had both MPH and KPH.  I thought that was very optimistic of GM.  If I ever took a wrong turn and found myself in Barcelona, I was ready.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 03:35:57 AM »

The Board resulting from that law was shitcanned by President Reagan in 1982 and the law essentially has been diluted ever since (except for requiring plans for federal buildings to be written up in the metric system, packaging and labeling requirements by FDA, and other silliness) and is today a shining example of how the government ****s up everything it touches.

Yep, the government is like an acid that way. Ruins anything it touches.

When we're ready to move into the metric system (the markets will tell us when), we'll do so.

Until then, pound sand.  :bird:

Oh, in case anybody wonders, I happen to have lived in Europe a very long time and I'm very comfortable with mls, grams, kph, meters, and such.

I agree and even though I never been to europe, am comfortable with the metric system as well.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.