Author Topic: Elderly Couple Love Each Other to Death  (Read 3626 times)

Offline SilverOrchid

• Proud momma of two little belles!
  • California Conservative-Yes, we exist!
Elderly Couple Love Each Other to Death
« on: January 24, 2008, 05:54:16 PM »
Elderly Couple Use Plastic Bags to Suffocate Each Other, Can't Bear to Be Apart

Thursday, January 24, 2008

An elderly couple in England used a suicide manual and plastic bags to kill each other because they couldn't bear the thought of any circumstance that would cause them to be apart, the Daily Mail reported.

Hilda Bedell, 76, and her husband, James, reportedly used the book "Final Exit" by Derek Humphry to help them take their own lives, the newspaper reported.

Retired war veteran and milkman James Bedell had been taking medicine for anxiety and receiving treatment for a tremor, which he feared was caused by Parkinson's disease.

Hilda Bedell had been prescribed morphine for pain associated with arthritis and osteoporosis.

The couple, who had been together for more than 60 years, drank whisky before they tied plastic bags around their heads using elastic bands, according to the Daily Mail.

They laid in bed listening to music as they suffocated to death, according to the report.

The two openly spoke to family and friends about one day "ending it together," fearing one of them would become ill or disabled, and with the help of their son made a living will in case they were found while still alive, the Daily Mail reported.

"I was aware of what they had done, they had long said they would commit suicide and it was a well-known fact between their family and friends," said neighbor Janet Wardell, who found the two dead.

Another statement from the couple's son Andrew, said: "Some years ago they had made it clear they didn't want to lose their quality of life and end up being nursed in a hospital or a home.

"They were reading and talking about ending it together but I spoke to them around October 15 and they made no mention of when or how."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325233,00.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=510118&in_page_id=1770

How sad they choose to end their lives like that. :( I love my husband but we aren't willing to commit sucide together. Why didn't the son do something, get them some help or something. The red flags was all over the place.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: Elderly Couple Love Each Other to Death
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 05:57:11 PM »
"You first dear. I'll be right along after you."

:evillaugh:
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 06:00:24 PM »
How sad they choose to end their lives like that. Sad I love my husband but we aren't willing to commit sucide together. Why didn't the son do something, get them some help or something. The red flags was all over the place.

I don't know....it don't really strike me as sad or even something the son should feel responsible for.
From what's there, it sounds like two old folks made the choice to go out together.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SilverOrchid

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 06:22:56 PM »
How sad they choose to end their lives like that. Sad I love my husband but we aren't willing to commit sucide together. Why didn't the son do something, get them some help or something. The red flags was all over the place.

I don't know....it don't really strike me as sad or even something the son should feel responsible for.
From what's there, it sounds like two old folks made the choice to go out together.

I don't know, I just believe God should be the one to choose when someone is going to die. Sucide just angers me.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 06:31:15 PM »
A lot of them bug me too. It's a tricky subject.
I know you shouldn't do it, and how much it hurts folks close to you. But then again...I also know a few times when someone I knew decided that hanging around would hurt their families even more.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline MASHLover

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 08:12:23 AM »

I don't know, I just believe God should be the one to choose when someone is going to die. Sucide just angers me.

How do you know that God did not have his hand in this as well?
formerly Striker

Offline SilverOrchid

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 09:48:41 AM »

How do you know that God did not have his hand in this as well?

Somehow, I doubt God intended them to put plastic bags on their heads to suffocate themselves.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 04:51:02 PM »
Elderly Couple Use Plastic Bags to Suffocate Each Other, Can't Bear to Be Apart

Thursday, January 24, 2008

An elderly couple in England used a suicide manual and plastic bags to kill each other because they couldn't bear the thought of any circumstance that would cause them to be apart, the Daily Mail reported.

Hilda Bedell, 76, and her husband, James, reportedly used the book "Final Exit" by Derek Humphry to help them take their own lives, the newspaper reported.

Retired war veteran and milkman James Bedell had been taking medicine for anxiety and receiving treatment for a tremor, which he feared was caused by Parkinson's disease.

Hilda Bedell had been prescribed morphine for pain associated with arthritis and osteoporosis.

The couple, who had been together for more than 60 years, drank whisky before they tied plastic bags around their heads using elastic bands, according to the Daily Mail.

They laid in bed listening to music as they suffocated to death, according to the report.

The two openly spoke to family and friends about one day "ending it together," fearing one of them would become ill or disabled, and with the help of their son made a living will in case they were found while still alive, the Daily Mail reported.

"I was aware of what they had done, they had long said they would commit suicide and it was a well-known fact between their family and friends," said neighbor Janet Wardell, who found the two dead.

Another statement from the couple's son Andrew, said: "Some years ago they had made it clear they didn't want to lose their quality of life and end up being nursed in a hospital or a home.

"They were reading and talking about ending it together but I spoke to them around October 15 and they made no mention of when or how."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,325233,00.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=510118&in_page_id=1770

How sad they choose to end their lives like that. :( I love my husband but we aren't willing to commit sucide together. Why didn't the son do something, get them some help or something. The red flags was all over the place.

yeah but look what they were facing... being an invaled is just about like being dead. you cant do a thing for yourself.

who of us wants to be that old woman or old man, sitting in a wheelchair, in wet undies... waiting for someone to notice us?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 06:53:29 AM »
I would miss my wife greatly if anything happened to her.  But not that much.

:mental:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Full-Auto

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 09:02:28 AM »

I don't believe God kills people.


Offline SilverOrchid

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 08:33:42 PM »

I don't believe God kills people.

Well, no but He does know when we are going to die.

Offline ih8hippies

• Just Off Probation
  • hippie slayer
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 08:47:06 PM »
I am against suicide... But, I can't judge these folks. I believe it is within their right, or anyone elses, to end it as they choose. I still feel this way even after my ASIST training. Don't get me wrong - I would still try to persuade someone otherwise.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 08:55:59 PM »
What I wouldn't want is for my kids to have to wipe the slobber from my chin or change my diaper, I won't bankrupt my family while chasing medical miracles to extend my life a little longer. If life gets to that point I'd rather check out and get on with the next trip.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 10:13:40 PM »
From the thread title I expected to read a story about a couple who both died during intercourse.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 11:35:31 PM »
"You first dear. I'll be right along after you."

:evillaugh:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.