Author Topic: Los Angeles Police Review Dozens of Unsolved Murders for Links to 'Grim Sleeper'  (Read 842 times)

Offline bijou

LOS ANGELES —  Investigators are reviewing at least 30 unsolved murder cases for possible links to an unidentified serial killer suspected in at least 11 slayings since 1985.

The unsolved cases have many similarities to those carried out by the serial killer, including locations where the bodies were dumped, Los Angeles police Detective Dennis Kilcoyne said Friday.

He estimated at least six of the 30 cases would be linked to the murderer.

"We don't know who he is, but his numbers are building," Kilcoyne said. "Once we are done, I am quite confident this will exceed anything we have ever seen in the city."

Kilcoyne's comments came after the Los Angeles Police Department held a news conference to announce for the second time a city-funded reward of up to $500,000 for information. The reward was first announced last week but authorities distributed the wrong phone number for the public to call so responses were limited.

The killer apparently operated in two distinct periods, first from 1985 to 1987, when he allegedly killed seven women and a man. He is known to have killed again three times since 2002, most recently in January 2007.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,422002,00.html

Scary stuff, hopefully they'll be allowed to test and get some sort of a lead via DNA.

Offline jinxmchue

Not that I'm complaining, but why don't serial killers ever pop up in small towns?  It's always is some major metropolitan area.

Offline Lord Undies

Not that I'm complaining, but why don't serial killers ever pop up in small towns?  It's always is some major metropolitan area.

Less mental illness in small towns.  More opportunities in the Big City.

Anyone who would kill cereal is crazy.

Offline bijou

Because they need victims who won't be immediately missed and they need to be anonyous to an extent.  It is much harder to kill a number of people one at a time if you live somewhere where everyone knows everyone else's business.  Far easier to pick up anonymous drifters and prostitutes in large towns and cities.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
They got the phone number wrong for the tipline? Oh my....
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
Dexter Morgan has applied for a position on the forensics team.   He wants to help bring this monster to justice. :popcorn:
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!