Author Topic: Ministers group demands Harris County sheriff resign  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Ministers group demands Harris County sheriff resign
« on: January 24, 2008, 04:19:23 PM »
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5483280.html

Members of an African-American ministers group today called on Harris County Sheriff Tommy Thomas to step down after it was revealed that he sent e-mails depicting national civil rights figures the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton getting zapped and reduced to a puff of smoke.

The e-mail, obtained by Channel 13, shows Jackson and Sharpton as cartoon characters looking up at a star in the sky. A bubble reads: "Oh, wishing star, we wish for an end to racial strife and bigotry."

In the next image, the two leaders disappear in a cloud of smoke.

"Poof," the e-mail reads.

"I wish all this hatred and bigotry would just go away," said Rev. Robert Jefferson, pastor of Cullen Missionary Baptist Church, and a member of the Houston Ministers Against Crime, an organization that works with law enforcement officials. "He sent it to his staff promoting hate against black folk. We are not going to sit by as our public officials sit around being bigots."

This is the second time the minister's group has called on a public official to resign over race-sensitive e-mails. Two weeks ago, the group called for Harris County District Attorney Chuck Rosenthal to step down immediately after court documents revealed he used government computers to send and receive racist and sexually explicit e-mails.

Rosenthal has refused to go.

"We're going to do something about this — march, file lawsuits whatever it takes," Jefferson said. "I wonder if there is a culture in our city that all Harris County officials are prejudiced toward black folks. Is this still a good ol' boy system?"

Sheriff's department spokesman Capt. John Martin said the sheriff characterized the cartoon as "political satire and nothing more."

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 04:23:56 PM by JackZip »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Ministers group demands Harris County sheriff resign
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 05:10:47 PM »
It sounds like the Rev. Robert Jefferson, pastor of Cullen Missionary Baptist Church, should be in the next cartoon. 

I demand Rev. Robert Jefferson, pastor of Cullen Missionary Baptist Church, resign for being too stupid to breath.  I also demand Rev. Robert Jefferson, pastor of Cullen Missionary Baptist Church, be removed from public for trying to imply Jackson and Sharpton are some sort of racial "healers". 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Ministers group demands Harris County sheriff resign
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 05:22:20 PM »
It sounds like the Rev. Robert Jefferson, pastor of Cullen Missionary Baptist Church, should be in the next cartoon. 

I demand Rev. Robert Jefferson, pastor of Cullen Missionary Baptist Church, resign for being too stupid to breath.  I also demand Rev. Robert Jefferson, pastor of Cullen Missionary Baptist Church, be removed from public for trying to imply Jackson and Sharpton are some sort of racial "healers". 
....but, but, black folks just can't be prejudiced!  [/DUmp lib victim mode]
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.