Author Topic: Dolly upgraded to second hurricane of '08 season (headed for TX-Mexico border)  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

Dolly upgraded to second hurricane of '08 season

NEW YORK, July 22 (Reuters) - Dolly was upgraded to the Atlantic
season's second hurricane late Tuesday as it strengthened in the
warm waters of the western Gulf of Mexico on its way towards
the Texas-Mexico border, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said
in its latest advisory update.

Dolly was located about 165 miles (265 km) east-southeast of
Brownsville, Texas, moving northwest at about 10 miles per hour
with winds up slightly to about 75 mph.

Weather models still show the storm making landfall near the
Texas-Mexico border on Wednesday.

Story

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
I blame algore.  If he hadn't invented globalwarming, this would never have happened.   :fuelfire:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

I blame algore.  If he hadn't invented globalwarming, this would never have happened.   :fuelfire:

dana carvey does al gore at 6:30

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IECdyuZSkwg&feature=related[/youtube]

Offline Lord Undies

Kind of a pussified storm for the gulf.  Glow bull warming must be on vacation.

Offline Miss Mia

I just wish it would sent rain up to my house.  But it won't. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Why is The Messiah in Iraq when we need him in Brownsville to calm the waters?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
And since it's not going to wipe out every rig in the Gulf, oil dropped ANOTHER $4/barrel today.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Be nice to get some rain from it. The peak does not start until August, which lasts into October. This has been an active July. I don't think Global Warming is reason for this. Keep in mind, we did not have satellites before the 1960s. Any hurricane data before the 1960s should be treated as suspect. One season 1914 recorded only one storm, which sounds very dubious. The 2005 type season is more common than people realize. 1887, 1893, 1899, and 1933 were comparable if not more active than 2005.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Wretched Excess

Offline Lord Undies

Dolly strengthens, bears down onTexas-Mexico boarder.

Along with civilians, Dolly's arrival had members of the military in the area scrambling. The Navy had moved 89 aircraft from its Corpus Christi base to other locations in Texas and New Mexico.  See Dolly's projected path »

Texas Gov. Rick Perry issued a disaster declaration for 14 counties before Dolly arrived. The declaration "allows the state to initiate necessary preparedness efforts," according to a statement from Perry's office.

More than two dozen state agencies and organizations such as the Red Cross are on standby to help with evacuations and other needs.

The National Guard has set up staging areas in Houston, Austin and San Antonio, officials said. As many as 1,200 National Guardsmen have been called to help, and 700 are already deployed to targeted areas.

An incident management team has been pre-positioned in south Texas, including six UH-60 helicopters, to provide support to first responders.

"We have been preparing for this kind of event for well over a year," Col. William D. Meehan, a spokesman for Texas Military Forces, told CNN.

Several hundred people had taken refuge in shelters in Cameron County, where Brownsville is located, and in Hidalgo County, just to the west, county officials told The Associated Press.

That damn BUSHit!!  Why isn't he down there handing out umbrellas??

Offline Wretched Excess

Kind of a pussified storm for the gulf.  Glow bull warming must be on vacation.

it suffered from accumulus interruptus when it hit the yucatan peninsula.

Offline Miss Mia

Undies, since the horrible evacuation during Rita, Texas had to change and prepare better. 

Now, this type of preparedness is normal, in my eyes (the pre-declaring areas disaster areas and mobilizing the National Guard).  Lets see what happens if the entire SE section of Texas has to evacuate again. 

Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Lord Undies

Undies, since the horrible evacuation during Rita, Texas had to change and prepare better. 

Now, this type of preparedness is normal, in my eyes (the pre-declaring areas disaster areas and mobilizing the National Guard).  Lets see what happens if the entire SE section of Texas has to evacuate again. 

I don't remember the evacuation during hurricane Rita being a horror, beyond a bus full of elderly folks catching on fire near Waco. 

Texas has always been prepared and never has it been a burden to the rest of the nation just because we get the occasional hurricane.

Offline Miss Mia

I don't remember the evacuation during hurricane Rita being a horror, beyond a bus full of elderly folks catching on fire near Waco. 

Texas has always been prepared and never has it been a burden to the rest of the nation just because we get the occasional hurricane.

Honestly, Undies it was a disaster.  It took way too long for them to open up the wrong way traffic on I-45.  People running out of gas on the side of the roads.  It took my family 25 hours to make a normally 5.5 hour trip.  Thank god they didn't run out of gas.   The actual evacuation of towns was bad too, the timing and direction.  They changed up the evacuation routine since Rita and also have a plan on hands that includes opening up I-45 to handle the extra traffic. 

BUT, I will also say, that the evacuation for Rita, was hampered b/c of the Katrina people in Texas. 

In the end, all that mattered was that my family was safe.

But I DO agree with your second statement, Texas never depends on the nation to do their job for them.  Hence, NOLA is still horrible and SE Texas has recovered nicely from Rita.
Stink Eye

Offline Lord Undies

BUT, I will also say, that the evacuation for Rita, was hampered b/c of the Katrina people in Texas.

That's the only thing I remember being a problem.  I thought the actual evacuation went rather smoothly as far as the state goes.  It was mostly irresponsible people who mucked it up for everyone else.

Offline Miss Mia

That's the only thing I remember being a problem.  I thought the actual evacuation went rather smoothly as far as the state goes.  It was mostly irresponsible people who mucked it up for everyone else.

My family, who've always lived on the coast, said it was by far the worst evacuation they've ever been in. 

There were multiple problems.  I think also coming right off Katrina, a whole lotta people were scared shitless and evacuated when they didn't have to. 

I'd really imagine another evacuation of SE Texas wouldn't be nearly as bad as it was then.  They did re-tool the plans for it. 
Stink Eye

Offline Lauri

dont forget and Shepard Smith and Geraldo screaming down there on the highways... they were a HUGE help.  :whatever:

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
 :ohnoes:  :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes:
 :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes: :ohnoes:

Another HURRICANE  :overreaction:
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.