Author Topic: Pope warns of 'a desert of godlessness' in Good Friday address  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Pope warns of 'a desert of godlessness' in Good Friday address

Pope Benedict XVI last night attacked the rise of aggressive secularism in Western societies, warning them that they risked drifting into a 'desert of godlessness'.

He used his Good Friday meditations to compare deliberate attempts to remove religion from public life to the mockery of Jesus Christ by the mob as he was led out to be crucified.

'Religious sentiments' were increasingly ranked among the 'unwelcome leftovers of antiquity' and 'held up to scorn and ridicule', he added.

*snip*

'Values and norms that held societies together and drew people to higher ideals are laughed at and thrown overboard. Jesus continues to be ridiculed.'

The German-born Pope, who turns 82 later this month, prayed Christians would respond by growing in faith.

I disagree with the Pope.  We are not and have not been drifting.  We've been headed directly there for a long time...full steam ahead.

MORE
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Sam Adams

Re: Pope warns of 'a desert of godlessness' in Good Friday address
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:39:47 AM »
Sometimes, the popes like to point out the obvious, as if they have some special revelation. The whole speech deserves a big yawn. Tell me something I don't already know next time.