Author Topic: New last book you read thread  (Read 131266 times)

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
Re: New last book you read thread
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »
One Second After by William R. Forschen.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2010, 09:23:10 PM »
Just finished "The Girl Who Played with Fire"; now reading "I Would Rather Sleep in Texas".

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2010, 10:17:49 PM »
Thunder on the Danube, the war in 1809. Vol I

Fantastic work on the Franco-Austrian war of 1809.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2010, 10:47:03 PM »
Starting Lee Child's One Shot tonight....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2010, 12:03:29 AM »
I just finished Raymond Feists "At the Gates of Darkness" , and am starting on the first three books in David Eddings series called "The Dreamers"

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2010, 06:54:42 AM »
Why You Are Wrong About The Right  S.E. Cupp and Brett Joshpe...  Awesome!

Deadlocked  Iris Johanson.... Good plot marred by poor writing.

Sizzling Sixteen Janet Evanovich... great as usual.

Pride and Predjudice and Zombies  Seth Grahame-Smith ehhhhh I tried to like it, I really did, but I sent it back to the library after 100 pages.

The Bride Collector Ted Dekker... awesome!
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2010, 11:30:36 PM »
Well, I like western fiction and am an avid reader of Louis L'Amour.

But how about Tolstoy's "War and Peace".  I loved that book.

Tolstoy is on my to do list. War and Peace, as well as Anna Karenina.  Additionally, Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment will be added on my tour of the Russian Empire.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2010, 08:30:44 AM »
Well, I like western fiction and am an avid reader of Louis L'Amour.

But how about Tolstoy's "War and Peace".  I loved that book.

Ardent, I have most everything that Louis L'Amour had written, also Rex Stout --I reread my books every 8-10 years, it is like meeting an old lost friend.

The used book store in my area has an interesting practice, I do not know how the owners make a living but they can afford to have paid their rent for some years now.

Unlike the library that Lends you a book for a time period and places you in the position of getting it back in time and in good condition, this dealer sells you a book for a small price, when you finish reading he will buy the book back or give you a store credit.

Like a library one can call him and have him on the look out for whatever you want.

Don't get me wrong here I love the Library, I have made requests for books that they have had sent from College Library's all over the country.    My problem is with a book, I find it hard to return it for fear that  I may wish to reread it for some reason on the spur of the moment.

Finally reading the Lost Symbol---      Good old Dan Brown---

Some people hoard silver, gold, cats and empty bottles.  I hoard books.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2010, 11:29:24 AM »
Ardent, I have most everything that Louis L'Amour had written, also Rex Stout --I reread my books every 8-10 years, it is like meeting an old lost friend.

The used book store in my area has an interesting practice, I do not know how the owners make a living but they can afford to have paid their rent for some years now.

Unlike the library that Lends you a book for a time period and places you in the position of getting it back in time and in good condition, this dealer sells you a book for a small price, when you finish reading he will buy the book back or give you a store credit.

Like a library one can call him and have him on the look out for whatever you want.

Don't get me wrong here I love the Library, I have made requests for books that they have had sent from College Library's all over the country.    My problem is with a book, I find it hard to return it for fear that  I may wish to reread it for some reason on the spur of the moment.

Finally reading the Lost Symbol---      Good old Dan Brown---

Some people hoard silver, gold, cats and empty bottles.  I hoard books.

Me too!

I have to periodically purge though....just recently pulled out about 200 paperbacks and about 20 cookbooks.

My last big purge was when I moved to this house, and eliminated 10-12 "liquor" boxes of hardbacks.

It's really hard for me to give up books. I would love to have a house with one of those old-fashioned libraries....the really high-ceilinged type with solid wall, beautiful wooden bookshelves and a ladder on wheels, the hardwood floors, cozy chairs, fireplace....the one in Biltmore House would be delightful.  :lmao:

(The Library in Biltmore House holds approximately 10,000 of Vanderbilt's more than 23,000 volumes.
Copyright 2005 The Biltmore Company - All Rights Reserved)
(picture is from "The Library at Biltmore House, Picture Tour of Biltmore House and Estate Grounds"
By Sheridan Alexander, About.com Guide)

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2010, 05:51:21 PM »
After reading so many reviews comparing lead characters in book series I've read to Horatio Hornblower, I've finally decided to see how accurate the comparisons are.  I pulled all 11 volumes from the library, and have made it through the first 5 already.  Not bad so far.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2010, 04:39:49 PM »
Picked up a couple new books today.

The Imperial Cruise: A secret history of empire and war
James Bradley's follow-up to Flags Of Our Fathers and Flyboys.  This looks interesting but didn't rate very well at Amazon.

The Gangs of New York
The movie was tolerable.  Daniel Day Lewis did a fantastic job, but I could have done without Cameron Diaz and Leonardo di Caprio.  I did a little research on the story and the book looks a lot more interesting than the movie.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
World War Z by Max Brooks. Max is Mel Brooks' son, and has had a geniune fear of the undead ever since high school. World War Z is best described as an oral history of the great World War against zombies.

Yes, it sounds silly, but it is indeed a great, quick read, and is presently in post-production with a tentative release set for summer 2012.

For you morons who don't like to read, you can see the trailer here.  :lmao:

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2010, 05:07:01 PM »
Still trying to read Marine One by James W Huston.

I haven't picked it up much, only because it's one of those, that I'm afraid once I get into it 50 more pages, I won't do anything else until I've finished it.  :-) I'm due for a mental health book day....hmmm, might have to be tomorrow.  :hyper:

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2010, 05:49:07 PM »
Just got done reading The Sabbath, by Abraham Joshua Heschel. A short, but incredibly dense work on the role of the Sabbath in Jewish life. I'm going to have to read it several more times to get it all.

Now I'm reading Conversations with Rabbi Small, which is a fiction book about a person who wants to convert to Judaism and the conversations she has with the title character about the pros and cons of such a move.

And of course, I've been looking through my surg tech text books. Orientation is tomorrow and school starts in a week.  :hyper:
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2010, 08:09:04 PM »
In the process of reading the Vince Flynn series of books.  Total of eleven with number 12 due out sometime this year.
Fiction, political intrigue.  Read 6 so far.  Unfortunately I started reading some of the last, now am reading the third in the series, "Separation of Power".  Normally not a fiction fan, but do like his writing.
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2010, 02:09:34 AM »
I just finished Laura Bush's book what a classy lady I wish she was still in the White House instead of the one in there now
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline djones520

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2010, 05:40:24 AM »
Last book I finished was John Adams.  Over a thousand pages, but pretty interesting.  The author did a very good job on it.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2010, 09:39:58 AM »
Last book: The French Blue- about the first 200 years of the Hope Diamond.

Started: The Rock of Anzio- the 45th Infantry (my dad's Division) from Sicily to Dachau.  I have my father's photos/tape recordings to go along with the time line.  I am awestruck.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline cclanofirish

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2010, 11:01:02 AM »
In the process of reading the Vince Flynn series of books.  Total of eleven with number 12 due out sometime this year.
Fiction, political intrigue.  Read 6 so far.  Unfortunately I started reading some of the last, now am reading the third in the series, "Separation of Power".  Normally not a fiction fan, but do like his writing.

If you haven't already I would recommend several authors if you like Flynn. Brad Thor, Joseph Finder, Robert Ludlum, and Mike Lawson. I have every book by Flynn and have read them several times, It has been hard finding other authors while I wait for his latest book.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2010, 11:06:48 AM »

Hey, Rusty, good to see you hangin' out.

Just got done reading my first Vince Flynn novel - "Memorial Day." Very much a page-turner!
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2010, 01:26:41 PM »

Hi Rusty!!!!  :blowkiss:

Hey, Rusty, good to see you hangin' out.

Just got done reading my first Vince Flynn novel - "Memorial Day." Very much a page-turner!

Vince Flynn is excellent!!!

Brad Thor's books are as good too.

Both authors' books really need to be read in order, though.  :-)

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2010, 02:19:04 PM »
Dark Road Rising by PN Elrod.

More than a bit of a let-down. I think it's time to retire Jack Fleming.

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2010, 10:42:13 PM »
Hello Eupher and DebK - Whats new and exciting

Eupher the list I have;

#1 - Transfer of Power - read  was written in 1999 then each one the next year [first in the Mitch Rapp series]
#2 - The Third Option - read
#3 - Separation of Power - reading
#4 - Executive Power - have,not read yet
#5 - Memorial Day - have - not read yet
#6 - Consent to Kill - have, not read yet
#7 - Act of Treason - read
#8 - Protect and Defend - read
#9 - Extreme measures - read
#10 - Pursuit of Honor - read [1st one]
#11 - American Assassin - due out soon

He also wrote a novel - Term Limits - I have it but haven't read yet - was written in 1997 [minus Mitch Rapp]

Before these I mostly read WWII;

The Pacific, by Hugh Ambrose [ Stephen Ambrose's son]
With the Old Breed, by E.B.Sledge
We Are Soldiers Still, by LT. Gen. Harold Moore and Joseph Galloway
Brothers in Battle, by William Guarnere and Edward Heffron
Beyond Band of Brothers, by Major Dick Winters
In Harms Way, by Doug Stanton [about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis]
Halsey's Typhoon, by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin

Plus a few mystery [actual case] - History and Political
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2010, 01:49:20 PM »
Just read John Sanford's Storm Prey, it was good.  Reading Interview With The Vampire now.  Holy crap is it long and drawn out.  The whole book could have been told in like 10 pages if they got rid of the glittery useless prose.  I should finish it today and then on to the new Jonathan Kellerman one. 
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline bijou

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2010, 02:13:09 PM »
Just finished Sue Grafton's U is for Undertow  good read, not as much action as usual but more of a mystery story about an old murder.