Author Topic: primitives discuss Bobby  (Read 648 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss Bobby
« on: June 06, 2014, 08:55:52 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10025057388

Oh my.

One's surprised the primitives remembered.

tk2kewl (13,123 posts)    Fri Jun 6, 2014, 09:33 AM

RIP (6/6/1968)

after which a couple of Bobby icons

madokie (39,716 posts)    Fri Jun 6, 2014, 09:55 AM

4. I remember this like it was last night

I was stationed at the SERE school in Warner Springs California when this happened. I was to relieve another person for duty and when he came to wake me up he said you won't believe what just happened and in my half sleepy ass way I said what they shot Kennedy. No way could I have known this other that intuition cause there wasn't any radios or televisions or people talking about this in my space. It was one of the eeriest feeling I've ever had. It was right up there with the one I had when I was in the first grade when all of a sudden I had this weird feeling that I'd lived before and would live again.

jimlup (4,581 posts)    Fri Jun 6, 2014, 10:21 AM

11. I remember well when I heard the news...

I was in 5th grade and I walked to school every morning with the older boy next door. He said "did you hear that Senator Kennedy was shot?" And I was like "WHAT ?????"

nolabear (17,813 posts)    Fri Jun 6, 2014, 11:12 AM

23. One of the eerie events of my childhood. I dreamed he'd died and when I turned on the TV...

I lived in Mississippi, and it was the worst year of my life. My mother had died in March, Dr. King had been killed and I sometimes thought I was the only person in the state who thought that a tragedy. My mother, who in almost all ways was a Southern good girl, had had an enormous crush on John and we had mourned his death together. Now here I was, mourning Bobby's alone. I don't know why I was different but I was more or less raised by TV and the radio, and they gave me a place to go when it was just all too much. Having that dream in some ways changed my life, or at least confirmed much of what I felt. (It literally was a news anchor announcing "Senator Robert Francis Kennedy...is dead. I was so startled I woke up. Next day it turned out to have been true. I'm not claiming anything; maybe I'd heard something w/o being aware of it, but it affected me deeply.)

virgdem (1,573 posts)   Fri Jun 6, 2014, 11:21 AM

25. I remember it vividly...

I was 16 and a huge Kennedy supporter. I was watching the election coverage and his speech before going to bed. I woke up very early that morning with a feeling of dread that something really bad had happened. I turned on the radio and heard the news that Bobby had been shot. I sat there in total disbelief. 1968 was a truly awful year-MLK was assassinated in April, the unrest over Vietnam, Kennedy's assassination and the sheer chaos of the Democratic convention that August. It was a year that is seared into my memory forever. My idealism died the day that Bobby was assassinated!

RufusTFirefly (5,235 posts)    Fri Jun 6, 2014, 11:42 AM

31. Plus one more

The crushing of Prague Spring in Czechoslovakia by the invasion of Soviet tanks in August.

The great enemy of freedom is authoritarianism and the concentration of power. Unfortunately, it takes many forms. People who threaten entrenched power, whether they are in Prague or Memphis or Dallas or the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles are usually dealt with by those who wield that power and are unwilling to share it with the rest of us.

pink-o (3,956 posts)    Fri Jun 6, 2014, 11:42 AM

30. 1968 was a watershed year for my political perceptions....

I was 13, and had just learned all about the Vietnam War in school, MLK had been killed 2 months before, Ray-gun was effing up my home state, the Summer of Love was still resounding thru our sensibilities, Berkeley, Black Panthers, et al. On the threshold of my own changes from a happy child to a rebellious teen, I was devastated and felt so helpless when I heard about Bobby.

Think of an America without: Wars for profit, Citizens United, Income Inequality, miserable poverty, shit wages, needless deaths from AIDS, religious whack-jobs with way too much power....and that would have been an America where Bobby Kennedy was president.

Alas, Bobby: we hardly knew ya.

CountAllVotes (12,486 posts)    Fri Jun 6, 2014, 11:46 AM

33. Fifth grade

It was the assignment for the evening that day to watch the goings on in Southern Calif. for the night and the hoped for election of Robert F. Kennedy (by the teacher that is).

I remember that night, I did my duty and stayed up to watch what was going on that evening after RFK won Calif.

And then came that shot and the screams that RFK had been shot.

My parents were in bed and I went and knocked on their bedroom door and they awoke and asked me why was I bothering them so very late. I told them that RFK had been shot.

They both got up at once and ran into the living room to watch the TV and see what was going on and they both broke down and cried when they heard he was dead.

Some things you never forget in life and watching that evil Sirhan Sirhan get cuffed and taken away was not nearly justice enough.

I had not realized at the age of 11 years what a huge loss RFK was. It was beyond a huge loss, RFK would have changed America I believe in hindsight.

RIP Robert Francis Kennedy. We barely knew ye.

Le Taz Hot (17,690 posts)    Fri Jun 6, 2014, 11:50 AM

34. I was in Long Beach at the time, not far from downtown L.A.

and watched it live on TV. I'll never forget the utter disbelief that it could happen AGAIN! JFK, MLK and RFK murdered, all either about to go against or were against the war in Viet Nam. All assassinated within 5 years. Nothing suspicious there.

Warren Stupidity (37,357 posts)    Fri Jun 6, 2014, 01:18 PM

48. That night we sat on a hill near the school dormitory.

We talked about how completely ****ed up the country had become. Shortly after that the great uprising of '68 commenced, what followed was the five most interesting years of my life. Then, by the end of the 70's, the neocon/neolib counter revolution got underway and here we are, nothing at all like it could have been, almost the exact opposite of where we could have gone. It remains a crying shame.

Little_Wing (200 posts)    Fri Jun 6, 2014, 02:51 PM

56. 1968 was one heartbreakingly ****ed up year

I honestly believe our country has suffered from collective PTSD ever since, grievous wounds we've never recovered from. The only good thing I can say about 1968 is that I moved to California (from Michigan) the week after Bobby died. If I had the power to go back in time and change the events of one year in my lifetime, 1968 would be the one. Rev. King, Tet (Vietnam), riots and revolution everywhere (Paris, Czechoslovakia, etc.), summer Olympics in Mexico (Smith and Carlos protest), the Chicago police riots, Nixon winning. It was like standing in the middle of a cultural world-wide hurricane. So much possibility, so much destruction. Tears are not enough.

Well now, this makes me wax nostalgic for the late mountain man primitive, the "ThomWV" primitive, a thoroughgoing sourassed old "atheist" for whom the Kennedys were the Holy Trinity; Jack the Father, Bobby the Christ, and Vast Teddy the Holy Ghost.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Delmar

Re: primitives discuss Bobby
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »
Response to tk2kewl (Original post)Fri Jun 6, 2014, 08:44 PM
Star Member RoccoR5955 (7,196 posts)
74. Why Have I Not Heard ANYTHING About This

On the news?

It happened 46 years ago Rocco.  It was widely covered in the news.  I'm sorry you had to hear about it like this.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 09:14:42 PM »
<<<just checked the mortuary on Skins's island; there's a most unfortunate omission.

The "ThomWV" primitive, who died a few years ago after a brain amputation.

He'd been the High Priest of the Kennedy Cult on Skins's island.

<<<wonders why he was overlooked.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline FlippyDoo

• Oh NO!!!!! It's a rebel windmill!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 09:50:36 PM »
It happened 46 years ago Rocco.  It was widely covered in the news.  I'm sorry you had to hear about it like this.

Benghazi happened 2 years ago, dude, but why haven't I heard about something that happened 46 years ago?
Fictional spirit-guiding by appointment.
conservativecave.com & conservativeunderground.com

For new members and lurkers: I am a fictional spirit-guide with no smell whatsoever. I am part irish setter and part pigeon. If you don't smell any strange smells it means I'm probably standing next to you. As I am a fictional character anything I post should possibly be considered fictional.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 06:33:59 AM »
I wonder if it ever crosses the microscopic minds of the DUmmies that JFK, RFK, and MLK were killed by a hardcore commie, a Palestinian, and a southern Democrat, all celebrated "heroes" of the DUmmies...

IOW, all these assassinations were "self-inflicted", so to speak.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 08:41:52 AM »
Bobby Kennedy?
 :yawn:

I wonder if it ever crosses the microscopic minds of the DUmmies that JFK, RFK, and MLK were killed by a hardcore commie, a Palestinian, and a southern Democrat, all celebrated "heroes" of the DUmmies...

IOW, all these assassinations were "self-inflicted", so to speak.

To which they will respond:

:yawn:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 08:45:20 AM by 98ZJUSMC »

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx