Author Topic: Kali runs over her own dog  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Tess Anderson

Kali runs over her own dog
« on: April 22, 2012, 06:34:22 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1018100563

Sounds to me like she was careless: (LONG)

Kali (27,780 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

Tinkus Trauma
this is Frida:

This little dog packs more personality into a small body than I ever would have thought possible. She's incredibly tough too. My son got her a little over a year ago (passed on from a friend, he is the 3rd owner, as it were) and named her Frida. Of course the husband and I immediately started calling her Tinky as a joke name for a typical small dog to tease him, but it stuck. It gets other baby-talk iterations like Tinkus, Tinkus-binkus, etc - you get the gist (  )

It took her a while to warm up to anybody but with the kid working she kind of became more my dog. She goes with the other ranch dogs in the truck and horseback. She has as much stamina as either of them - at first I was overprotective and tried to make her ride when they were running but soon realized she could go as fast and as far at them. She works the cattle - funny to watch her go after a bull who's ear probably weighs more than her. Takes no guff from any of the other animals - including the cats (who are both bigger than her).

I do something a little dangerous with the dogs - I let them run when I am driving slow on the rough dirt roads around here. When we go down to turn on the pump at the well that is 5 miles from the house, we have to go on a paved county road for a short distance, then another dirt road for about a half mile. The dogs all know the tree where I stop to let them out to run (and sniff and pee and chase lizards, rabbits etc) once we get on that dirt road and yesterday I did that as usual. They were really happy to get out for a run because they had been cooped up at the house for three days while I did taxes and caught up on laundry from the pump being out for 10 days (again).

I went on to the well while they were busy at some bush doing dog things. Right at the approach to the well the road is washing out pretty bad so I have been cutting off to the side and making a new trail. That involves a right turn and then a quick left around a mesquite bush/tree. I have only been doing this for a couple of trips so it is a new route.

Yesterday I ran over my little dog. 

I wasn't watching and thought she was way back with the others but she had taken off to catch up with me (she is frigging fast) and as I made that left around the mesquite she was right at the drivers side rear wheel. I think some lower branches kept her from getting out of the way as the back wheel came to the left of the path of the front one.

She screamed and I knew in an instant what happened. Jumped out and saw her on the ground right in the tire tracks. I was so afraid I had killed her or was going to have to finish the job. I picked her up and was surprised her head was ok, and that she didn't try to bite me out of pain (although that could have been a bad sign too). I was FREAKING out. Pretty much got religion and begged for her life. I can not believe how much this little mutt has weaseled into my heart. I didn't know what to do. Should I rush down to the vet with these other dogs in the truck? Is she even going to make it? Were there internal injuries? I don't have the kind of money to be able to treat a pet like a human being in terms of drastic or heroic medical treatment that might not work. But I was damn close - calculating the balance on credit cards in my mind, how I would talk them into letting me make payments, all that stuff.

I set her on the seat of the truck and watched her breathing and her eyes. She was clearly traumatized, but she wasn't fading or showing real signs of shock. Her gums had color. After a few minutes she kind of wiggled herself into a more comfortable position. She seemed like she was more or less stable so I felt around and couldn't find any obvious broken bones - pelvis was OK, legs OK and obviously skull was intact - jaw fine, teeth all normal. No blood anywhere. I began to feel hopeful she wasn't going to die right away so I decided to take everybody back to the house and ditch the other two dogs before taking her to the vet. As we got to the house she wobbled to her feet and stood on the arm rest like in the center photo above. She wasn't anywhere near that balanced or mentally that alert, but she knew we were at the house and wanted to go in.

I brought her in and put her on the bed under some covers to see what she would do (she loves to burrow) and went to change my shirt. When I looked back at her she was lying there pretty sad but she wagged her tail and that was the sign that told me she was going to be OK. I decided to wait a while - maybe even until somebody else got home so I wouldn't have to lock Lupe in the house. She was freaking out even worse than me, making weird noises and acting so strange. I'm still not sure if it is concern or predator instinct about a small wounded creature but whatever it was she wasn't going to let me just drive off with Tinky and stay there in the yard. When the son got home I went to get her and she was already trying to get down off the bed. I brought her in and told him what happened. We put her on the daybed in the living room and huddled around worrying and decided to wait until today to see if she needed to go to the vet. After we got her settled in the new spot he went to shower and I was doing stuff in the kitchen and more laundry, checking on her every couple of minutes and getting the great waggy tail reaction. Right as I was about to come check again here she came hobbling around the corner! She pushed the screen door open before I could pick her up and went out to the back yard. She headed for the door to the kids' bathroom, jumped up the step and went in. (their room is through there and the damn door is always open)

She got up on the couch and stayed there for the night. She even ate a little hamburger (cooked mind you, wouldn't touch the raw I offered) last night. I now think I just got her right front leg somehow. There is no way she would have survived a whole body squish, even an empty pickup bed is too heavy for a little dog (although Dumbass survived it when the son backed over him a few years ago, but that is Dumbass - his head is like a boulder)

This morning she went out and peed in the grass, and walked around the house a little. She even gave me a little kiss. Her right shoulder is pretty swollen but the leg is fine and while she is for-sure limping on that leg she is putting weight on it. And she has had a few ounces of water and some more beef. Now she is resting on the bed - definitely not 100%, but she is going to be alright. Now I can't quite figure out exactly what happened, but I am SO grateful she is going to be OK. OMG I ran over Tinky.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: Kali runs over her own dog
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 06:37:34 PM »
I'm glad the dog's OK, but can you imagine if Romney did that?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 06:40:24 PM »

What I'm bothered about this is that she put a price-tag on the dog.

If a cat here--and remember, I'm not a cat person--needed veterinary care, I'd worry about getting the cat to the veterinary first, and the bill later.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 07:44:03 PM »
I figured if she killed the dog she could send it to the white house for dinner.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 07:44:43 PM »

if she ever runs for office we will have to broadcast that thread.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 07:46:58 PM »

I fully expect a lot of bouncies about dogs and how conservatives would just kill them i the time from now until November.

If true, I hope that the dog is OK and that the DUche is a better owner because of this incident.

I had a dog that darted out under a service truck and was run over by the dual rear wheels. I grabbed her up and took her took her to the vet immediately. Luckily she had no broken ribs or other bones, was tender for a few weeks, and fully recovered. Never did the price of the vet enter my mind, only her well being.

This is what really pisses me off about the DUchebags. They are all full of concern and don't do what any normal decent and civilized person would do yet expect some kind of praise for being a DUche.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Kimberly

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 09:18:04 PM »
WTH?! I can't believe she ran over her own dog and won't take it to the vet. That's horrible.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 09:28:21 PM »
One day, several years ago, I came home to find my next door neighbor's cat on my front porch with a broken lower jaw and an eye hanging out.  We picked him up and rushed him to the vet.  The vet said he'd make it, the eye was destroyed so he'd be half-blind, but all the pieces of the lower jaw were there, so he'd set it, tube feed him for a couple days, and send him home.  We got the expected bill, only about $200 if I remember, and told our neighbor as soon as he got home.

He said, "What!!  I'm not paying that for any  :censored: cat.  You should have left him, I'd have shot him when I got home."

So we acquired another cat.

As it happened, I was my neighbor's landlord.  A couple years later, he told me he was going to adopt a puppy.  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:  I promptly put an eviction notice on his door.  When he came over all hot, I pointed at "Zipperhead," our new cat, and explained the terms of his lease.  He gets a pet, he leaves.  

He didn't get another pet as long as he lived there.

But there you go, I'm only a heartless, greedy, self-centered Repig...no way would I actually rescue someone else's pet.   :-) :-)

{Oh, and BTW, the Scottie I lost a few months ago cost us over $500 before they did the scan that determined he was full of cancer.  It's just what you do for animals...)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:31:58 PM by MrsSmith »

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 09:54:11 PM »
I figured if she killed the dog she could send it to the white house for dinner.

Well done sir !
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 10:03:29 PM »

If a cat here--and remember, I'm not a cat person--needed veterinary care, I'd worry about getting the cat to the veterinary first, and the bill later.

I have a cat that costs probably close to $3k/yr to keep alive (liver shunt, needs special food, frequent visits for infections, has ongoing prescriptions for steroids, etc). As long as I am able to afford it, she'll remain alive.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 04:28:11 AM »
I have a cat that costs probably close to $3k/yr to keep alive (liver shunt, needs special food, frequent visits for infections, has ongoing prescriptions for steroids, etc). As long as I am able to afford it, she'll remain alive.

We've got to feed Oreo special food.  As long as we can afford it--and we'll go to some lengths to do that.  There's a few things around here that I'm very sure that we don't need, and could sell if we had to.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 05:32:41 AM »

MMMMMmm.. Wag-yu 'Beef'

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 06:02:50 AM »
So the dog could have some sort of leg trauma and you just put her on the bed? You do the same for your children as well? Please never get another animal and have your reproductive parts removed. That is neglect pure and simple. :argh:
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 09:29:18 AM »
So the dog could have some sort of leg trauma and you just put her on the bed? You do the same for your children as well? Please never get another animal and have your reproductive parts removed. That is neglect pure and simple. :argh:

:argh: :argh: :argh:

Yes people do the same to their kids.  Kid falls of a bike and comes in complaining of pain but no blood or bone hanging out, parents will put ice on it and watch it.   They only get medical treatment if the arm swells up twice normal size.

Same with a Tom Cat that has been in one heck of a fight with another Tom.   They come limping home missing an ear half chewed, scratches and bleeding.  One bandages up the wounds and pore disinfectant on the wounds of a conscious Cat, put them in a safe place, watch for infection. First sign of infection, off to the Vet.

Animals have a capacities to heal them selves most times, the saliva in the licking of a wound is powerful, for them.

People often take a bruising and do not realise for days after that they are in trouble, going into the ER right after may not show the extent of an injury.    Swelling and black and blue marks take hours to show up,   it is a no win for everyone. 

Reason anyone in an accident needs to get on record at  hospital what they have been through.   Sure if no wounds or scars show up 2 hours after the accident you will be sent home with a perscribtion for aspirin.   So in the next 24 hours you get huge b&B marks, cannot turn your head or sit up.   Get your pictures taken by family members, head back to the hospital and insist they also take pictures.

Shock even mild to people  and animals is a problem, one may actually walk on a broken leg, feel little pain at first until the shock wears of.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 10:46:44 AM »
Here's how it goes, kali, dear.
If you can't afford a vet, DON'T GET THE PET!
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Karin

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 10:47:10 AM »
SHE DIDN'T GO DIRECTLY TO THE VET??

This is brutal torture of a dog.  Imagine the pain this poor dog was in.  Possible internal injuries.  Kali is a dog-torturer, through and through.  

Mrs. Smith, bless you for your rescue.  I would have jacked up the jackass's rent.  

Offline dane

• http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/37017
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 12:18:05 PM »

I agree with you.  One of ours (we have five), was not able to stand/walk one day - off to the vet we went.  Turned out to be pancreatitis.  She stayed with the vet all day, and we picked her up late in the afternoon.  Antibiotics fixed her up nicely.

Last week our daughter's dog got beaten up by a pack of strays.  The dog dragged himself up to the porch just as our daughter was leaving for work.  She hustled the dog to the vet, took the day off.

Neither time did we think to ask about the cost - just fix the hurt.
This too shall pass.

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 02:25:15 PM »

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA