Author Topic: I lost my cool at lunch yesterday  (Read 4934 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
I lost my cool at lunch yesterday
« on: October 23, 2019, 07:10:23 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212612436

Definition of a snowflake ...

UpInArms (46,035 posts)

I lost my cool at lunch yesterday

I was helping a friend ... (maybe I actually became counter-help - I am retired and I have skills). He is an auctioneer and appraiser and a couple had contacted him to appraise their property...

The husband told my friend that it was a 5 acre property and he felt it was worth more than $250k ... (located a a rural area outside a small town in Iowa) ...

Looking at property is always interesting and I take pictures and notes ... so, off we go ...

The property is a mess ... the guy is a hoarder... unfinished projects abound ... but ... it is actually located near a fairly prosperous little town ... so ... hmmmm ....

We finished our walkthrough and leave ... and stop a a local diner for lunch ...

My friend is a widower and I have known him for 25 years. In 1999, he had Bush signs up outside his auction house ... I made him take them down ... told him I wouldn’t come to his auctions if I had to walk past those signs. He took them down and he and I never talked about politics after that ... I just figured he was a republican and he never said anything else .... (lots of other info ... but too tedious to go into)

Fast forward to yesterday at the diner ....

We have finished our lunch and are talking about the property.... the diner door opens and the client comes in ... to pick up food for lunch ... and sits down at our table while he waits ...

We are pleasant and making small talk.. it have my notes from the job on the table....

Client then starts saying what a great economy this small town has ... and that it is because of tRump ... I say something to the effect that I was not certain that the farmers would agree... and he says something tho the effect of “well, we were getting screwed by our trading partners before trump, so they should get over it” .... and how the dems were against billionaires and that was wrong ... and other nonsense

And off I went ...

So, I started talking and he tried to interrupt and I said ... I listened to you without interrupting, so it was my turn to speak.

I explained that income inequality benefited no one ... that billionaires can only wear one pair of pants at a time, that they cannot spend their money faster than it rebuilds itself ... that taxes under Eisenhower were 90% over a certain level to encourage business to reinvest and pay all employees more...

He then defended trump again by saying he was being picked on ...

And I really blew ...

I looked at him and told him that trump had call our Constitution “phony”, had sacrificed the Kurds for personal gain, had spread hate across our country ... had called for people at his rallies ... which were disgusting for a sitting president... To be beaten and he would pay for lawyer fees .... that he was caging children ... that he thought he could grab women by the ***** ... and then I said that if he was able to support someone like that, I was unable to sit at the same table with him, so I picked up my stuff and got away from that table ...

My friend (was backing me up the entire time ... I was surprised to say the least ... he kept saying “she’s right, you know”)

By this time, of course the whole place is watching ... (god I hate scenes, but I do have a bad habit of creating them ... I don’t stay shut up very well)

Well, when I moved, my friend decided to get up also and he heads for the door ... but the guy stops me in front of the counter one more time ... by now, I am in full fledged form ...

I turn around and say ... the fact is that this thing supports Nazis ... in the streets waving their tiki torches and chanting Nazis ... do you not understand it? There are no good Nazis ... we fought them in WWII and 479,000 American soldiers died ... and if you don’t support our country and it’s Constitution, there is something wrong with you, because I am not going to let your hate take my kid’s or my grandkids’ future away from them ... and I will never stop fighting for that.

.... and I turned and walked out ...

:mental:

UpInArms (46,035 posts)

4. Living in rural America

Is sometimes a real challenge...

Oh ... and he said something about godless Democrats... and I said “you can take your god, gays and gun crap and forget it ... you cannot legislate morals, only ethics and the Republican Party has no ethics, so they can shut up about morals”

I am surprised I still have my friends out here ... 😂😂

Atticus (6,445 posts)

3. You did not "create a scene"---HE did! And, you stood against his nauseating worship of

the criminal in the Oval Office. VERY well done! I wish more people had your passion and your courage.

Bounce, bounce, bounce ...

KC

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Re: I lost my cool at lunch yesterday
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 07:35:05 AM »
Anytime a poster explains the reason for the 'chance' encounter in the second sentence, you know it's going to be a bouncey that DU will eat-up like grain-slop.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 08:15:09 AM »
UpInArms (46,035 posts)

My friend is a widower and I have known him for 25 years. In 1999, he had Bush signs up outside his auction house ... I made him take them down ... told him I wouldn’t come to his auctions if I had to walk past those signs.
Wow. You were a kook even before W was elected.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 10:07:54 AM »
Oooh, an allusion to the "fine people" lie. Haven't seen that one for a while.

Online jukin

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 01:30:21 PM »
And then everyone in the diner got up and applauded me, even the deaf mute dishwasher. I had several people come out to the parking lot and thank me for putting shit straight to the white KK Trump supporter.

When I got into the car, my friend said "You were wonderful! I should have listened to youdecades before. I don't know what I was thinking.  We should have one party democrat rule for the children and put people that disagree with us in camps."  I have never been more proud of my friend and even just a little bit proud of myself.  I think I made some real progress in educating those hich hayseeds.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 01:50:08 PM »
There is one and only one response to the DUmbasses fairy tale....

Cool story bro.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 08:20:22 PM »
UpInArms (46,035 posts) I was helping a friend ... (I am retired and I have skills).

Whatever helps you from blacking out while master baiting your sibling...you jism master.

Offline Karin

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 08:52:42 PM »
 :lmao:

I didn't read all the fawning, gullible responses.  Instead, I noticed that Upinarms sat there like a spider in her web, waiting for the fawning responses.   :rotf:

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 12:43:48 PM »

I didn't read all the fawning, gullible responses.  Instead, I noticed that Upinarms sat there like a spider in her web, waiting for the fawning responses.   :rotf:

Good catch!

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 07:44:36 PM »
Mildly amusing, whiff of desperation, reference to G.W. Bush, no bushes, no cops, no applause, was lengthy, in a diner instead of a grocery store or gas station, no conversion.... pathetic.   Even though this had all the excitement of a telemarketing call, I was generous and gave it 3 bongs.

And this is about the best I have seen in a while.  Oh how far the mighty dump has fallen!  Crying shame it what it is. 
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi