Author Topic: old china  (Read 3109 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
old china
« on: December 25, 2008, 04:47:48 PM »
I have the family china, some of it more than 100 years old, but naturally because I have no dependents, it all goes to the nephews and nieces-in-law sometime sooner or later. 

I don't plan on kicking off soon, and still entertain hopes of winning the Powerball lottery and showing off, and occasionally using, this stuff.

Anyway.

Because of the age of the sets, naturally over the years and decades some pieces have gotten broken, and need replaced.

I've dealt with a place called "Replacements, Ltd." before, and they've been good, but naturally they don't have all patterns in all sets.

That's the only one.

Anybody have any suggestions about other places that look for, and sell, old china?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

Re: old china
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 05:41:00 PM »
Other than the one you mentioned, there is this online Place.

I did find some other ideas, which you probably already know.
Step
Search eBay. eBay, the online auction site, is a great resource for finding just one saucer or just one extra plate to replace a broken item. With millions of users, there's a good chance that your pattern is offered on the site, no matter how old or rare. eBay is also a good place to get a idea for the price you should pay for the replacement piece, even if you don't buy it on the site.
Step
Check with replacement china companies. A variety of companies specialize in used china. They buy from individuals, antique dealers and manufacturers with discontinued patterns and sell to those seeking replacement pieces of to add to their collection. Chief among these is Replacements Ltd. They stock thousands of patterns.
Step
Scour the garage and estate sales. Neighborhood garage and estate sales are another sources of replacement china. This can be hit or miss, depending on the popularity of your pattern. The quality of china offered at such sales varies from mint to damaged--be sure to inspect it carefully. In addition, some sellers at estate sales may only wish to sell their china as a complete set, but it's worth looking.
Step
Contact area antique dealers. Though you'll usually pay top price, for rare patterns, consider enlisting the aid of a couple local antiques dealers. Most dealers have networks of contacts and may be able to locate a hard to find piece even when you aren't able to.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 05:47:43 PM »
Hmmmmm.

I've never even thought of eBay; that might be worth looking into.

Garage and estate sales, and antique dealers, I've tried before, but essentially, with so few people in this area, even for 200 miles around, we don't have many of these sorts of places.

As mentioned, Replacements Ltd. is good, great, but there's some stuff that's just too damned hard to find.

When I've added to--we're talking 7 different sets of antique china here--wanting, for example, two cups, but could get them only by purchasing other parts of the set, I've had no problem doing that.  I just figure that over time, a set evolves from an 8-place setting to a 10-place setting, to a 12-place setting, and so on, and so it's no big deal.  If I have to buy other pieces just to get a cup, it's no big deal.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 10:49:54 AM »
Are you on Replacements,Ltd's "want list"? You might try that.

Also try contacting some antique stores (on line) in Charleston SC, Atlanta, Philadelphia....some of the "older cities". Charleston's King Street is full of lovely antique stores. Atlanta's Peachtree area should have several,too.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 11:14:10 AM »
Are you on Replacements,Ltd's "want list"? You might try that.

Also try contacting some antique stores (on line) in Charleston SC, Atlanta, Philadelphia....some of the "older cities". Charleston's King Street is full of lovely antique stores. Atlanta's Peachtree area should have several,too.

The set that's of current concern now is the one used most often during my childhood.

It's "Eggshell Nautilus," from the early 1940s, about the time the second world war was cranking up, and manufacture of luxury products being discouraged.

I notice these places--I checked many out, last night--list it as "Homer Laughlin," but it's not Homer Laughlin.  Homer Laughlin offered a similar pattern, but not exactly, or even near exactly, the same.

And if I recall correctly, the three times I approached antique dealers about the matter--this was during the late 1980s--they tried to get me to buy their Homer Laughlin, but it's not the same.  This "Eggshell Nautilus" has little blue flowers in it too, and all Homer Laughlin I've seen, doesn't.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 11:18:02 AM »
I have noticed the same thing when trying to match up my mother's china. It's Spode Moss Rose that she got in the mid 40's. The pieces that I have seen are not the same. Her's all look like a doily was laid on the china as it was being fired and there is a raised pattern on it that I haven't seen on the newer Moss Rose.

I don't use it....it's just in my china cabinet for looks....as I'm afraid of breaking it.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 11:22:16 AM »
The pieces that I have seen are not the same. Her's all look like a doily was laid on the china as it was being fired and there is a raised pattern on it that I haven't seen on the newer Moss Rose.

That was another characteristic I noticed.

The original had no raised pattern.

I ultimately found some which were authentic "Eggshell Natilus," but with a raised pattern.

By the way, I used to get flack, when younger, from a late older sister who insisted I was "ruining" things by adding onto the original, but I was two ways about it.  It would've been nice to have the WHOLE thing original.....but on the other hand, that was no longer possible.
apres moi, le deluge