Author Topic: hypertensive ol' Bob says they're deadly  (Read 1440 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
hypertensive ol' Bob says they're deadly
« on: October 02, 2017, 02:37:45 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/10029662549

Oh my.

Is this true, or is he pulling his fellow primitives' legs?

<<<wouldn't know.

TheMastersNemesis (8,271 posts)    Mon Oct 2, 2017, 03:04 PM

.223 Round Extremely Deadly. Tumbles In Body On Impact. Even Non Vital Hit Deadly.

Looking like the shooter probably used an AR15 like assault rifle that can be turned into an automatic if you supposedly know where to file. Also had to have larger 100 round magazine. These weapons DO NOT belong in civilian hands. If I remember right the AR15 and the like can fire 600 rounds per minute.

Having been in Vietnam my squad leader killed two VC at point blank range. The entry wounds looked minor yet the fact that the round traveled through the body was obvious. The AR15 & M16 have max stopping power for their caliber. What most people do not know is that the .223 is designed to tumble in the body on impact and travel throughout. You can be hit with a supposedly non virtual area yet die because of massive damage & bleeding no matter where it hits or have the slug travel to a vital part.

These assault weapons are deadlier than the .762 NATO round that travels through and does no tumble.

There seems to be considerable disagreement among the primitives, about whether or not these things are "extremely deadly." 

So.....I thought I'd ask people who know what they're talking about.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:44:32 PM by franksolich »
apres moi, le deluge

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
Re: hypertensive ol' Bob says they're deadly
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
The whole purpose of the 5.56 was to make it a little less deadly than the 30-06 Springfield. The actual bullet depending on the round used is between 55 maybe 70 grains where the 06 is much bigger 150-200 grains.

The bullet will break apart but no bullet will be deadly unless it strikes a vital organ or the blood supply. A single bullet will not go throughout the whole body and it is absurd to say that filing some metal here and there will make a semi-auto into full auto, a totally different action with heavy regulations and Bob I'm sure knows this.

edited by franksolich to correct "Mike"--the sparkling old dude to "Bob," the Master's Numbskull; it's important to give credit where credit's due.

Sorry at work...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:56:45 PM by fatboy »
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline AzJames73

• Deplorable
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »
It's a myth....

When the 5.56mm round was originally designed it had little to do with ballistics, the 2 main reasons the round was adopted were so that a soldier could carry more ammo, and high velocity rounds work better against armor.... However the started to notice that it seemed unusually effective, and they had no idea the reason they figured .22 caliber equals tiny hole and that is one of the reasons the military was reluctant to switch from the M-14, so they started theorizing on why the small round was so effective, and one of the early theories was it must be tumbling, however that was quickly dis proven as they figured out what was really going on however the myth of the tumbling bullet persists....

What really happens is the bullet begins to yaw and the stresses become to great and it starts to spin apart, and the bullet breaks at the cannelure, the bullet nose, and the back end of the bullet both take a separate trajectory, and as there doing that there continuing to break up, and bits of lead start to get squeezed out and each fragment in turn takes it's own separate trajectory, in short it's kind of like a little shotgun going off inside the target....

In other words, the God hating DUmmy thinks he is a know it all and wants to impress the other DUmmies

Online 67 Rover

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 03:00:11 PM »
TheMastersNemesis (8,271 posts)    Mon Oct 2, 2017, 03:04 PM

.223 Round Extremely Deadly. Tumbles In Body On Impact. Even Non Vital Hit Deadly.

Looking like the shooter probably used an AR15 like assault rifle that can be turned into an automatic if you supposedly know where to file. Also had to have larger 100 round magazine. These weapons DO NOT belong in civilian hands. If I remember right the AR15 and the like can fire 600 rounds per minute.

Having been in Vietnam my squad leader killed two VC at point blank range. The entry wounds looked minor yet the fact that the round traveled through the body was obvious. The AR15 & M16 have max stopping power for their caliber. What most people do not know is that the .223 is designed to tumble in the body on impact and travel throughout. You can be hit with a supposedly non virtual area yet die because of massive damage & bleeding no matter where it hits or have the slug travel to a vital part.

These assault weapons are deadlier than the .762 NATO round that travels through and does no tumble.

Stupid like that should hurt like hell.  :o
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 03:27:49 PM »
I'm no expert, and will readily defer to correction, but:

How it behaves depends on the design of the bullet. Nematode seems to assume there is only one bullet design in .223.

Looking like the shooter probably used an AR15 like assault rifle ...

I believe AR15s can be bought in one or more caliber besides .223.

Looking like the shooter probably used an AR15 like assault rifle that can be turned into an automatic if you supposedly know where to file.

I think this is an urban legend concocted and spread by hoplophobes.

If I remember right the AR15 and the like can fire 600 rounds per minute.

Since an AR15 is a semiautomatic, this is sheer nonsense. Judging by the audio clips I've heard, the rate of fire might have been in the 200-300 rounds per minute range. Probably automatic (illegally converted? illegal automatic rifle?), definitely not 600 rounds per minute.

You can be hit with a supposedly non virtual area yet die because of massive damage & bleeding ...

What's with Nematode going full nadin?

I hope that's transposed characters. Otherwise, :thatsright:  ::) ! In my not so extensive reading, I've heard that either 5.56 or 7.62 can be better, depending on circumstances. I have read that the Army is looking into an intermediate caliber between 5.56 and 7.62, which at least suggests that Nematode is quite mistaken.

Basically, I think Nematode's post is mostly BS and urban legend. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about, so unless someone with better knowledge sets him straight I'm sure DU-folk will lap it up.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline AzJames73

• Deplorable
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 03:35:42 PM »
TheMastersNemesis (8,271 posts)

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (TheMastersNemesis) on Mon Oct 2, 2017, 03:58 PM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

Lulz

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 04:23:57 PM »
The 5.56 is deadly and can be made more so by using hollow point or soft point ammo. the military uses full metal jacket ammo to comply with the Geneva convention that outlawed expanding / disintegrating ammo. The Russian 5.45 x 39 ammo has a full metal jacketed bullet with a hollow portion in the front. it folds over on impact imparting more shock and creating more devastating wounds.

You can get AR15's in several different calibers and you need to do machine work to the lower receiver and change several parts to convert it to a true select fire configuration.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 04:29:03 PM »
Lulz

Now, why did he have to go and do that, delete his post?

It was rather refreshing, seeing hypertensive ol' Bob do a change of pace and write something that wasn't full of Hate.

Anyway, the last comment, made just before the deletion:

MineralMan (98,967 posts)      Mon Oct 2, 2017, 03:56 PM

26. Well, there's some misinformation and half-truths in your post.

You might want to check on that more closely before posting, I think.

The M-16 and it's .223 rounds was introduced because it was light in weight, had less recoil and could be fired more accurately by most people. In addition a single soldier could carry more ammo, because it, too, was lighter and took up less space. It was easily manufactured and very versatile, so it was rapidly adopted as the primary firearm for our military.

Yes, the weapon is lethal. The high velocity of the bullet delivers plenty of energy on striking a person. The "tumbling" thing is really a misstatement, though.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 04:34:17 PM »
Now, why did he have to go and do that, delete his post?

At the Dump, the truth will not set you free, it will get you erased, all 98 Thousand plus posts!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!