Author Topic: Outback's Coconut Shrimp  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Outback's Coconut Shrimp
« on: December 03, 2010, 08:33:04 PM »
For blitzkreig_17.  This is the same recipe that Bahama Breeze uses, which is where I got it from.  It's dirt simple and stupidly easy to make.

One small (8 oz.) can of condensed sweetened milk
1/2 cup of milk (whole, 2%, whatever)
1/4 cup of toasted, shredded coconut
2 cups of Panko Japanese-style bread crumbs
21-30 shrimp, partially butterflied and cleaned

Dredge the shrimp in the milk mix and toss in the Panko/coconut mix.  Press the bread crumbs into the shrimp with the hell of your hand.  Fry and eat.

Sorry, I don't have the recipe for their honey mustard sauce.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:49:46 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: Outback's Coconut Shrimp
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 08:44:16 PM »
If you find your "fresh" frying oil isn't cooking the way you want it to, stir in a cup of the old oil before heating it.  It helps break down the new stuff and makes it cook better.

I'll never get over watching those people deep-fry hambugers on 'Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives'.  I have a big bottle of smeg that I'm going to use just for that.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline blitzkrieg_17

• The harder they come, the harder they fall
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 08:46:22 PM »
Thanks chris. (also, deep-fried burgers? erghh, I'll just stick with grilling mine)
Caught somewhere in time

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 08:47:23 PM »
If you find your "fresh" frying oil isn't cooking the way you want it to, stir in a cup of the old oil before heating it.  It helps break down the new stuff and makes it cook better.

I'll never get over watching those people deep-fry hambugers on 'Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives'.  I have a big bottle of smeg that I'm going to use just for that.

Dyer's is just right down the road in Memphis.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 08:47:53 PM »
But it looked really tasty. 

They had a cast-iron skillet filled with what looked like used motor oil and they were frying burgers in it.  It looks too good to pass up (the burgers, not the oil).  They claimed the stuff in the pan was 90 years old.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 08:48:53 PM »
Dyer's is just right down the road in Memphis.
That's it.

Memphis is a five-hour round trip.  I would have to bring friends with me to make it worthwhile.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 09:06:02 PM »
That's it.

Memphis is a five-hour round trip.  I would have to bring friends with me to make it worthwhile.

I've never been, there but always wanted to get ahold of one of those triple burgers and some Gus' Fried Chicken, too.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 09:31:52 PM »
I've never been, there but always wanted to get ahold of one of those triple burgers and some Gus' Fried Chicken, too.

I may be frying up some burgers this weekend.  Looks good even though they smash theirs as flat as paper.