Author Topic: Thick Chili/Stew Recepie?  (Read 8938 times)

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
Thick Chili/Stew Recepie?
« on: May 19, 2010, 11:06:34 AM »
Anybody have one? I have always loved both, but every chili/stew I've ever had has pretty much had too much liquid in it for me. The closest I've ever had to what I'm looking for is Dinty Moore. While good, I'm looking for something thicker. I've always been a pretty good cook, so could ayou of you help me out?

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Thick Chili/Stew Recepie?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:24:12 PM »
People from the midwest don't eat "chili", they eat sloppy joe mix with extra ketchup & beans in it. I just like to use a grilled chuck roast or brisket, cut into small pieces (bite size or less), add about a cup of chili powder, some cumin, sage, garlic, water and onions. Let it cook until the meat shreds, minding the moisture level. Crock pots are ideal, but the stove top can work as well.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 02:51:39 PM »
One I make is: 2-3 lbs of a lean cut of beef cubed. Dice an onion, red or white (diced to fit the blender), 1 tsp cumin, roughly 10 New Mexico pods (seeded) S&P, 2-3 garlic cloves and put it all in a blender (not the beef). Add enough water so that when it's blended it makes a slurry. The New Mexico pods are very mild, heat wise, so you can add hot chili's (I seed Habaneros) to the mix to make it as hot as you want.
Brown the beef with enough veg oil to get a good fry in the pot you will use. Take the slurry and boil/simmer in a frying pan for 1-2 min, just enough to release the aromatics in the garlic/onion. Add the slurry to the beef then add water to the consistency you want. Add 1-2 cans of red kidney beans and one of black beans (leave out if you want to please the chili Nazi's). Drain if you want to control the consistency. Simmer covered for about a hour, to an hour and a half, or until the beef is tender.

I serve mine with cheddar cheese and saltines. My wife likes it over rice.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 02:49:09 PM by Wineslob »
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 04:27:45 PM »
(I seed Habaneros)

You're a much braver man than I. :-) Thank you guys so much. I'll have to use that recipe in the very near future.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 04:57:43 PM »
One I make is: 2-3 lbs of a lean cut of beef cubed. Dice an onion, red or white (diced to fit the blender), 1 tsp cumin, roughly 10 New Mexico pods (seeded) S&P, 2-3 garlic cloves and put it all in a blender (not the beef). Add enough water so that when it's blended it makes a slurry. The New Mexico pods are very mild, heat wise, so you can add hot chili's (I seed Habaneros) to the mix to make it as hot as you want.
Brown the beef with enough veg oil to get a good fry in the pot you will use. Take the slurry and boil/simmer in a frying pan for 1-2 min, just enough to release the aromatics in the garlic/onion. Add the slurry to the beef then add water to the consistency you want. Add 1-2 cans of red kidney beans and one of black beans. Drain if you want to control the consistency. Simmer covered for about a hour, to an hour and a half, or until the beef is tender.

I serve mine with cheddar cheese and saltines. My wife likes it over rice.

Heresy!! Complete & utter HERESY!!!

You must be a Yankee........ :lmao: :lmao:

Also, I forgot to mention the salt and pepper. Mainly salt, because all of my peppers are in the chili powder. Sometimes I WILL add in dried, crushed red pepper, like what many folks put on their pizza. I control the density by evaporation. I NEVER drain any of that good liquid from my chili.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:01:06 PM by Thor »
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 05:18:06 PM »
Kidney beans, navy beans, pinto beans, black beans, white beans, black-eyed peas are all bad....in anything.

Green beans are good.

Wax beans are tolerable.

:-)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »
CANNED beans???  In CHILI????   :o :o :o  No, no, no...you have to soak dried beans, pintos, overnight, then cook them with all the meat and spices...though I only use 1/4 cup of chili powder to 1 lb beans and 2 lb hamburger.  If you want less liquid, add less.  Just check the beans about an hour after you start them, make sure there is still enough to cover them.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »
My recipe is super easy. Open can of chili, pour in small sauce pan , add a dash or two of hot sauce,and heat until hot.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 06:34:06 PM »
My recipe is super easy. Open can of chili, pour in small sauce pan , add a dash or two of hot sauce,and heat until hot.

I like Vietti. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 06:43:59 PM »
I like Vietti. 

I like Ray's Chili, but I think it's a regional in the midwest.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 10:33:06 AM »
CANNED beans???  In CHILI????   :o :o :o  No, no, no...you have to soak dried beans, pintos, overnight, then cook them with all the meat and spices...though I only use 1/4 cup of chili powder to 1 lb beans and 2 lb hamburger.  If you want less liquid, add less.  Just check the beans about an hour after you start them, make sure there is still enough to cover them.

It takes far too long to get the damn things to cook (even soaked over night).............................plus you need a case of Beano...........
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline debk

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 10:41:38 AM »
It takes far too long to get the damn things to cook (even soaked over night).............................plus you need a case of Beano...........

Beans do not belong in chili.

Beef, onions, seasonings, and I admit to throwing in a few cans of Rotel. M makes it with venison.  :drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 02:47:32 PM »
Traditional versions are made, minimally, from chili peppers, garlic, onions, and cumin, along with chopped or ground beef. Beans and tomatoes are frequently included.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_con_carne

:tongue:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 03:31:50 PM »
It depends on whether or not one is a "Chili Purist" or if they like adulterated compounds.......

I lean towards the purist side. If I REALLY wanted to do it right, I'd make jerky first, then make chili out of the jerky as they often did in the old West.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 05:12:52 PM »
Soak them in water with a tablespoon of baking soda...rinse VERY well before cooking...bring to boil and let simmer for a couple hours.  No Beano required, and way better than canned, I swear!

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 05:24:16 PM »
Soak them in water with a tablespoon of baking soda...rinse VERY well before cooking...bring to boil and let simmer for a couple hours.  No Beano required, and way better than canned, I swear!

Oh I'm very aware that they are better. Wev'e tried the soak, rinse, soak, rinse..................

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 05:31:22 PM »
3 lbs. ground beef
15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
3 heaping Tbsps ground chili powder
1 heaping Tbsp mexican oregano
1 heaping Tbsp cumin
2 onions, chopped
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne powder
1 tsp paprika
3 habanero (or jalapeno) peppers minced
6 cayenne peppers minced
2 heaping Tbsps flour

Sear meat until grey. Add tomato sauce and water, stirring until well blended. Add Tabasco sauce, chili powder, oregano, cumin, onions, garlic, salt, cayenne, paprika, habaneros. Simmer one hour and fifteen minutes. Add thickening of flour mixed with water (if necessary for thickness). Simmer another 30 minutes, stirring often.

I sometimes roast the peppers for a different flavor profile.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 05:39:55 PM »
Sear meat until grey.
ew :-)

Your recipe sounds a lot like mine.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 08:35:33 PM »
You guys are excellent, thank you. I'm going to have fun in this zone. I don't think there is enough time in life to make everything that sounds yummy in here. :bow:

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 11:35:33 PM »
If it ain't grilled first, I always sear my meat until it's slightly caramelized. That "grey" shit is for the heathens and Yankees.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 08:31:33 AM »
If it ain't grilled first, I always sear my meat until it's slightly caramelized. That "grey" shit is for the heathens and Yankees.

I must be a heathen then 'cause I definitely ain't the latter!
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2010, 09:46:28 PM »
caramelization brings out the flavor in meat, especially hamburger because it has so little flavor to begin with.

Offline JLO

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2010, 02:13:56 AM »
Anybody have one? I have always loved both, but every chili/stew I've ever had has pretty much had too much liquid in it for me. The closest I've ever had to what I'm looking for is Dinty Moore. While good, I'm looking for something thicker. I've always been a pretty good cook, so could ayou of you help me out?

This recipe sounds really close to what we make sometimes.  It's very thick and just made to roll up into a tortilla with cheddar cheese and/or sour cream. 

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Chili-Real-Texas-Chili-123316

I still like the soupy tomato chili too with canned beans.  And started with a McCormick's cheater spice for chili flavor, and it has directions ;-)
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 06:15:18 AM »
This recipe sounds really close to what we make sometimes.  It's very thick and just made to roll up into a tortilla with cheddar cheese and/or sour cream. 

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Chili-Real-Texas-Chili-123316

I still like the soupy tomato chili too with canned beans.  And started with a McCormick's cheater spice for chili flavor, and it has directions ;-)

The upper midwest: where they think ketchup is a spice........

Offline JLO

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »
The upper midwest: where they think ketchup is a spice........

Yes, and don't forget the mustard :-)
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--