Author Topic: Sides, Condiments, and Extras? Post them here.  (Read 5533 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Sides, Condiments, and Extras? Post them here.
« on: January 25, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »
This is a good substitute for sour cream.  It doesn't have all the fat and you don't have to buy the big tub from the supermarket. 

Yogurt Cheese

Line a yogurt strainer, sieve, or a small colander with three layers of 100-percent cotton cheesecloth or a clean paper coffee filter. Suspend lined strainer, sieve, or colander over a bowl.

Spoon in one 16-ounce container of plain yogurt. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator. Drain and discard liquid.  Store, covered, in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes 3/4 to 1 cup (six to eight 2-tablespoon servings).

Note: Use a brand of yogurt that contains no gums, gelatin, or fillers. These ingredients may prevent the whey from separating from the curd to make cheese.

I like adding a couple tablespoons of dill for baked potatoes and potato skins.  Good stuff.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 03:57:32 PM by Chris »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Sides, Condiments, and Extras? Post them here.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 04:00:20 PM »
But you can buy a Big Thang of sour cream for a couple a bucks and you don't have to wait a day to eat it.  :o

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 04:03:29 PM »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 04:06:20 PM »

My, you do like your baked patato loaded!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 04:33:50 PM »
Condom mints

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 04:35:19 PM »
This is a good substitute for sour cream.  It doesn't have all the fat and you don't have to buy the big tub from the supermarket. 

Yogurt Cheese

Line a yogurt strainer, sieve, or a small colander with three layers of 100-percent cotton cheesecloth or a clean paper coffee filter. Suspend lined strainer, sieve, or colander over a bowl.

Spoon in one 16-ounce container of plain yogurt. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator. Drain and discard liquid.  Store, covered, in refrigerator for up to 1 week. Makes 3/4 to 1 cup (six to eight 2-tablespoon servings).

Note: Use a brand of yogurt that contains no gums, gelatin, or fillers. These ingredients may prevent the whey from separating from the curd to make cheese.

I like adding a couple tablespoons of dill for baked potatoes and potato skins.  Good stuff.
If you strain it for another 12-24 hours it gets to a consistency where you can roll it into balls.  Leave in fridge (uncovered) for 12 hours to dry out a little then roll in spice such as cumin or paprika or a herb such as thyme or oregano.  To keep, cover with olive oil and store in a sealable jar.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 12:00:01 AM »
Adobo

http://www.worldfood.com/mexican/mole_products.asp?prod=mole_adobo

I buy smoked jalapeno peppers (chipotle) canned in adobo sauce for my chili... it makes an excellent base.  My basic chili recipe is ground beef, onions, green peppers, one or two chipotle peppers and a couple tablespoons of adobo seasoning.  I picked up some of this at the grocery store.  It was a solid lump of flavored tomato paste covered with oil.  I dumped it into the food processor and pureed it until it was smooth.

This stuff is heaven.  Chili, hamburgers, tacos, fajitas... you need to try this stuff.  Dissolve a tablespoon of adobo sauce in half a cup of water, and you have a perfect fajita sauce.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:01:53 AM by Chris »

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 09:09:27 AM »
Adobo

http://www.worldfood.com/mexican/mole_products.asp?prod=mole_adobo

I buy smoked jalapeno peppers (chipotle) canned in adobo sauce for my chili... it makes an excellent base.  My basic chili recipe is ground beef, onions, green peppers, one or two chipotle peppers and a couple tablespoons of adobo seasoning.  I picked up some of this at the grocery store.  It was a solid lump of flavored tomato paste covered with oil.  I dumped it into the food processor and pureed it until it was smooth.

This stuff is heaven.  Chili, hamburgers, tacos, fajitas... you need to try this stuff.  Dissolve a tablespoon of adobo sauce in half a cup of water, and you have a perfect fajita sauce.

Rachel Ray tuned me in to Chipotle adobo.  It is amazing stuff to we who aspire to eat ala southwestern.

Check out my Mexican rice in the "Rice" thread.  It could be improved upon with a little adobo sauce.  I'll have to experiment.   

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 06:56:25 PM »
I put this on some ribs the other day and it was good, so I put it on some sweet potatoes.  It's good on just about anything - pork, chicken, ribs, brisket.  It's not the best dry rub you're going to find, but you probably have this stuff in your pantry already.  If you like it sweeter, add more brown sugar.  If you like spicy, add more cayenne pepper.

Easy Dry Rub
paprika, 1 tablespoon
dark brown sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons
orange zest, 1-1/2 teaspoons
salt, 1-1/2 teaspoons
ground cumin, 3/4 teaspoon
ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon
cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon

Offline debk

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 07:12:57 PM »
I love Honey Baked Hams, but I'm too cheap to buy them.

I get the spiral sliced ones at Krogers, or Sams.

In a saucepan I mix:

1 can of coke
couple Tbls of spicy mustard
couple tsps of worchestershire sauce
about 1/2 cup of brown sugar
the pkg of glaze that comes with the ham
couple Tbls of Jack Daniels

bring it to a boil to make sure the sugar dissolves.

I put the ham, cut side down in a roasting pan, pour the sauce over it to coat it well, cover the pan with the lid or tight aluminum foil.

Preheat the oven to 350, after 30 minutes, turn down to 250 and bake for about an hour, regardless of size.
Check it every so often and baste it with the drippings.

It's really moist and has a great flavor.

I'm terrible about measuring, so my measurements are approximate. I can tell you, unless you are really fond of Jack Daniels( I'm not a whiskey drinker)....don't use too much.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:21:29 PM »
I saw Alton Brown do something like that.  It looked really good.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 08:01:26 PM »
I put this on some ribs the other day and it was good, so I put it on some sweet potatoes.  It's good on just about anything - pork, chicken, ribs, brisket.  It's not the best dry rub you're going to find, but you probably have this stuff in your pantry already.  If you like it sweeter, add more brown sugar.  If you like spicy, add more cayenne pepper.

Easy Dry Rub
paprika, 1 tablespoon
dark brown sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons
orange zest, 1-1/2 teaspoons
salt, 1-1/2 teaspoons
ground cumin, 3/4 teaspoon
ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon
cayenne pepper, 1/4 teaspoon

I skipped the cumin the other day when I made this because I couldn't find it.  I found it now.  :-)

Sure does smell good.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 10:22:55 PM »
Hoo, boy!  That was hot.  You might want to cut back on the cayenne pepper.   :cheersmate:

I don't measure anything, I just eyeball it and dump it in.

Offline debk

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 11:23:05 AM »
Hoo, boy!  That was hot.  You might want to cut back on the cayenne pepper.   :cheersmate:

I don't measure anything, I just eyeball it and dump it in.

Me too. Makes it really hard to tell how I make something.

I think where I got the original recipe was a Paula Deen. I have 3 of her cookbooks, 1 is a combo of her first 2.

If you like lemon squares, she has the best I have ever had or made. It's in her cookbook, but you can go to her website and just do a search for her lemon bars, or I will print the recipe if someone wants it. They are not in the least healthy....2 sticks of butter, 3 c sugar.....but I cut them small. They are incredible!!!!
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.