Author Topic: I can't stand Chauvin's attorney.  (Read 1116 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
I can't stand Chauvin's attorney.
« on: April 10, 2021, 08:49:01 AM »
Star Member barbtries (24,772 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215321435

I'm just now catching up on testimony and have to skip past his, then watch the prosecution's rebuttal testimony. What I noticed today is that Nelson does almost all of the talking when he cross examines. All he wants from the witness is confirmation of his twisted attempts to create reasonable doubt, so he says what he says and all he gets is a yes or correct from the witness.

basically, he uses his time ostensibly examining the witness to testify. Is this objectionable? I certainly find it objectionable, but I'm not a lawyer.

:whatever:

Star Member BlueJac (6,413 posts)

1. I dislike his voice as much as his approach.

3. yeah, i find i'm very annoyed by his

fake friendliness and the measured, deceptively calm manner he effects. but the way he fashions his questioning is especially annoying to me to the point i fast forward through it.

Star Member Siwsan (18,411 posts)

2. I agree that the only chance for acquittal is attempting to plant 'reasonable doubt'

:thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright:

Sometimes he seems to ask questions, to which the answers are evidence for the prosecution. Such as asking the medical examiner if he watched any of the videos before doing the autopsy. Kind of inferring that he was influenced. And the answer was 'No'.

He also seems to try to hone in on one little issue without taking the whole of the picture into consideration. Like his constantly inferring that Chauvin was distracted or even intimidated by the people filming him. The video evidence sure doesn't show that. It shows Chauvin seemingly trying to assert his dominance over them by that look of defiance he wore on his face. He wasn't in the least distracted or worried about the crowd. Well, that's how I interpreted it, anyway.

It will be interesting to see what kind of defense witnesses they have. Unless payment for Chauvin's defense is being supplemented by outside sources, I can't see them being able to bring in a whole lot of experts - certainly none as stellar as the prosecution has called.

5. i really hope the jury

can see past all the smoke he's blowing at them.

i'm fairly certain that he won't, but i would like to see Chauvin testify. I know some of what I'd be asking if I got to cross examine him. He murdered George Floyd willfully in front of many witnesses, who took many pictures. shoulda pled guilty.

:thatsright:

True Dough (11,929 posts)

7. I wouldn't believe anything that comes out of Chauvin's mouth

He has no credibility and would surely say whatever he thinks might get him off the hook.

It would be intriguing television to see him on the stand, but I can't imagine it doing his defense any good.

Star Member yardwork (52,462 posts)

16. I've read that he might have put his hand in his pocket to add force.

That position allowed Chauvin to press down even more on the victim's neck.

To me, the look on Chauvin's face is one of defiance. The more bystanders begged him to stop, the more he bore down. Seems sociopathic.

Star Member rgbecker (4,428 posts)

15. I, too, thought Chauvin had his hand in pocket, but a closer look shows it not to be.

Take a close look....it was pointed out to me that the black gloves hide his hand but the video picture shows he is resting his hand on his thigh. Doesn't impact your point, which is very well taken.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

Re: I can't stand Chauvin's attorney.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 09:34:27 AM »

Translation: Nelson is being effective, rending gaping holes in the prosecution's case. Star Moron barbtries is ignoring him and if the jury acquits or is hung, she'll have no clue why.

FWIW, I think there are too many honest jurors for a guilty verdict, and too many fools for an acquittal. So while I currently think an acquittal the correct verdict, I expect a hung jury.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 10:01:26 AM »

I'm just now catching up on testimony and have to skip past his, then watch the prosecution's rebuttal testimony. What I noticed today is that Nelson does almost all of the talking when he cross examines. All he wants from the witness is confirmation of his twisted attempts to create reasonable doubt, so he says what he says and all he gets is a yes or correct from the witness.

basically, he uses his time ostensibly examining the witness to testify. Is this objectionable? I certainly find it objectionable, but I'm not a lawyer.

That's how it is supposed to work.

Siwsan (18,411 posts)

2. I agree that the only chance for acquittal is attempting to plant 'reasonable doubt'

That's how it's supposed to work.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 10:13:51 AM »
I haven't been watching the actual trial, so, until a couple of days ago my only take on how things were going was what I read on DU. Then I read Legal Insurrection, and got a much more objective view of things. Nelson has been pretty successful, so far. Didn't have such a great day when the medical experts testified.

Also, it seems the make-up of the jury isn't, um, favorable to the defense.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 10:28:30 AM »
That's how it is supposed to work.

That's how it's supposed to work.

In DUpipo's mind-surrogates, there are defendants who should not win, regardless of the law and the facts. That's the real reason Alliance Defense Fund made the SPLC's Hate Groups list.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 10:42:47 AM »
Ah, here we go again with DU and their shitty legal arguments.

"Fake friendliness"? You people are insufferable jackasses.  :thatsright:

And as for him asking seemingly loaded questions to plant reasonable doubt, as others have pointed out, that's part of his job. What matters is whether these experts affirm that, yes, alternative explanations for Floyd's death are plausible. The prosecution isn't going to go there, so the defense attorney has to.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 10:46:51 AM by ADsOutburst »

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 10:54:56 AM »
When I first heard of and looked into this case, I was of the opinion that Officer Chauvin's action killed Floyd, and he should have been prosecuted for some form of murder or manslaughter. I may have posted to that effect here in the Cave. What changed my mind was learning that Floyd had 3X a fatal level of fentanyl in his bloodstream. To me, that made Chauvin's actions all but irrelevant to Floyd's death.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 02:55:48 PM »
All he wants from the witness is confirmation of his twisted attempts to create reasonable doubt, so he says what he says and all he gets is a yes or correct from the witness.

DUmmies don't like defense attorneys doing their job when the defendant is a cop.

OTOH, the prosecutor doesn't seem to care about facts as much as he does about stirring up people's feelings and hatred of white people and cops.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 03:45:26 PM »
 :rotf:

I find that "objectionable", not the small dog

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 04:44:49 PM »
:rotf:

I find that "objectionable", not the small dog

What gender does that thing prefer? I don't mean the 4 legged dog.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 05:00:49 PM »
Well, at least we know what barbtries’ father looked like.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 08:25:38 PM »
What gender does that thing prefer? I don't mean the 4 legged dog.

That poor dog has a "please god help me get away from this moron" look.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 05:17:59 AM »
Translation: Nelson is being effective, rending gaping holes in the prosecution's case. Star Moron barbtries is ignoring him and if the jury acquits or is hung, she'll have no clue why.

FWIW, I think there are too many honest jurors for a guilty verdict, and too many fools for an acquittal. So while I currently think an acquittal the correct verdict, I expect a hung jury.
Hung jury?
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 09:06:03 AM »
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 10:03:17 AM »
Better than lynch mob.

That will come after the riot "celebrating" whatever the jury's verdict will be.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 07:56:42 PM »
That dogs biggest fear is that it's sleeping in a chair and that thing sits on it.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 08:20:34 PM »

Good. That means the attorney is doing his job well if the DUmbasses can't stand him.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline SVPete

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 08:38:26 AM »
Good. That means the attorney is doing his job well if the DUmbasses can't stand him.

Nelson hasn't even begun to present the case for the defense, so when he does DUpipo's hatred for him will turn white hot. Maybe a picture of MM should be sent to the court's security people warning not to let him in, :rotf: .

Or maybe Frostbite Falls PD could stop MM from leaving the city limits.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 11:12:21 AM by SVPete »

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 09:59:28 AM »

I'd say it's relatively safe to assume that Chauvin's attorney has no clue who your are, nor does he give a shit whether you can stand him or not.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020