Author Topic: Pam makes enchiladas  (Read 6248 times)

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Re: Pam makes enchiladas
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 08:33:58 AM »
That's a lot of Campbell's Cream Of all at once. 

Its just way too much for the amount of filling..

large can of soup - 26oz x 4 = 104oz
large sour cream = 1qt or 32oz
one stick of butter = 4oz

104 + 32 + 4 = 140oz

one gallon = 128oz

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 08:39:03 AM »
Straight from All Recipies

She is so original... she should have just given the Link.

Plagiarist is on her resume'
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 08:42:02 AM »
Straight from All Recipies

She is so original... she should have just given the Link.
tablespoon butter
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast meat
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
6 (12 inch) flour tortillas
1/4 cup milk
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking dish.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the green onion until tender (about 3 to 4 minutes). Add the garlic powder, then stir in the green chiles, cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Mix well. Reserve 3/4 of this sauce and set aside. To the remaining 1/4 of the sauce in the saucepan, add the chicken and 1/2 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese. Stir together.
Fill each flour tortilla with the chicken mixture and roll up. Place seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
In a small bowl combine the reserved 3/4 of the sauce with the milk. Spoon this mixture over the rolled tortillas and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.

Now this recipe is made with reasonable proportions. If Demented Jeep just quoted this, I wouldn't have given it a second look. But her Chicken enchilada soup variant is just ridiculous .

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 08:44:20 AM »
I think he is talking about all the liqiud slop with flour tortilias. it makes it all mush in the end.

Which is the prime reason CORN tortillas are used. They hold up much better.

Reb...the so-called "Mexican" places around here do that too...which is why I don't go to them.  Whether layered or rolled, no self-respecting Mexican cook uses flour over corn tortillas in enchiladas...the soggy mess you end up with being the biggest reason.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Flame

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 08:44:50 AM »
For true enchiladas I prefer beef.

But I make a "filling" in the crockpot that then gets put on toritllas (flour) with sour cream and cheese, or made into quesadillas. It's a life saver to have in the fridge on our really busy days.  (oh, and it makes a great topping for nachos, too)

3 b/s chicken breasts (I toss them in still frozen)
1 can black beans (drained and lightly rinsed)
1 can petite diced tomatos (well drained)
1-2 cups corn  (either frozen or canned...whatever i have on hand)
1-2 jalapneos, finely diced
and whatever seaonings strike my fancy (sometimes just plain taco seasoning, but usually a combination of cayene and other stuff from Penzys (spicy stuff), and garlic powder and onion powder)

Once it all cooks all day, I shred the chicken and mix it all back together.

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 08:48:28 AM »

Now this recipe is made with reasonable proportions. If Demented Jeep just quoted this, I wouldn't have given it a second look. But her Chicken enchilada soup variant is just ridiculous .

You are right, I didn't notice she had cream of mushroom and chicken soup.  Sounds like she is making Tortilla soup instead of enchiladas.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline Karin

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 08:51:13 AM »
Do I smell the winds of war in the air?  Corn vs. Flour?  I'll have you know, New Hampster Sparky, that my enchiladas are not soggy messes.   :tongue:

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 08:55:53 AM »
You are right, I didn't notice she had cream of mushroom and chicken soup.  Sounds like she is making Tortilla soup instead of enchiladas.

I just noticed that. That doesn't seem appealing AT ALL.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 08:57:29 AM »
Do I smell the winds of war in the air?  Corn vs. Flour?  I'll have you know, New Hampster Sparky, that my enchiladas are not soggy messes.   :tongue:

Did the arc cross the Rubicon in this one?  Where's Supperman? :tongue: :fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 09:10:19 AM »

Then do like Pam claimed and make a pan of them and tell me they wouldn't be in about 5 seconds.

Sorry, I'm a purist. A Mexican food snob if you will. I don't go out for Mexican food much east of the Mississippi River.  I don't tell pople here how to make Italian, seafood, etc., they don't try to tell me how to make BBQ or Mexican.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 09:11:55 AM »
Did the arc cross the Rubicon in this one?  Where's Supperman? :tongue: :fuelfire:

Judging by this thread, I can only assume Supperman is enjoying a large thermos of chicken enchilada soup deep inside his Restaurant of Solitude..

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 09:18:42 AM »

Though I won't answer for NHS, I will say that I'm not a purist - If what you cook up is good tasting, then I am happy - With that being said - it isn't possible to make a good enchilada by any measure if your filling is wet. And if you look at Demented's recipe, it is nothing but wet -- A gallon of slop for 3 pounds of chicken ? It cannot work as described.

Offline Maxiest

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 09:50:49 AM »
I just noticed that. That doesn't seem appealing AT ALL.

No it sure doesn't, I personally make beef enchiladas... I will eat chicken enchiladas but it would never be my first choice and not in a big soupy mess.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

-Milton Friedman

Offline Karin

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »
Well speaking of big soupy messes, remember Greenbriar's potato soup?

Cut up peeled potatoes
Boiled in water
Add peas

As for the enchiladas, I just don't care for corn tortillas all that much.  The flavor is cloying after a few bites.  It all tastes like gummy cornmeal.  I agree with Miskie on the dryness of the filling.  Absolutely.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 11:05:29 AM »
Which one of those fruitbats put black-eyed peas in their chili? Anyone remember?

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline commonguymd

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »

Crap I feel so different than the rest here.  I go to a local joint to get them.  Why make em, when they dish it up in mere minutes.  I don't even have to do dishes.

Offline Maxiest

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »

Crap I feel so different than the rest here.  I go to a local joint to get them.  Why make em, when they dish it up in mere minutes.  I don't even have to do dishes.

Hell I do to sometimes.  We have this Mexican place around the corner that makes the best Chips and Salsa and freaking awesome fajitas.  So don't feel different.

-Milton Friedman

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 11:13:40 AM »
These are the same people who cheer when a school announces the kids can't bring their own 'unhealthy' food to school and all must be regulated.

Guess that doesn't apply to the staff at all.

:whatever:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »
Hell I do to sometimes.  We have this Mexican place around the corner that makes the best Chips and Salsa and freaking awesome fajitas.  So don't feel different.

We have a TON of'em around here and they're always packed. I know this isn't proper "anglish", but this is the most "eatin' outinest" little city I've ever been to. Rockurworld can probably attest.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 12:27:45 PM »
Well, here it is, from the cooking and baking forum, in case anyone wants to try Pamela's enciladas:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/11575704

No cooking and baking primitives have been to this campfire yet.

That recipe made me throw up in my mouth a little.

"Enchiladas"? I hope a Mexican bitch-slaps her.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2012, 12:32:25 PM »
My enchiladas are easy to make. Hamburger meat, enchilada sauce, flour tortillas, and a shitload of shredded cheddar cheese, some times pepper jack. Every now and then I'll add chili peppers and diced tomatoes to try and emulate a Taco Hell Mexi-Melt.

Offline Maxiest

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2012, 12:53:45 PM »
My enchiladas are easy to make. Hamburger meat, enchilada sauce, flour tortillas, and a shitload of shredded cheddar cheese, some times pepper jack. Every now and then I'll add chili peppers and diced tomatoes to try and emulate a Taco Hell Mexi-Melt.

I do them the exact same way except for the chili's and tomatoes I use a can or two of Rotel.

-Milton Friedman

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2012, 01:04:59 PM »
Sparky's Enchiladas:

Brown ground beef and onion, drain fat.

Have a butt-ton of cheese (I like the pre-shredded Mexican cheese) ready to go.

Sauce:

16 oz can tomato sauce
4-6 ounces green chiles (or one can chopped green chiles)
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional if you like hot)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder

Bring sauce ingredients together in saucepan and allow to heat for a few mintues.

In greased or sprayed 13 X 9 pan, put small amount of sauce in bottom.

Using CORN (CORN!!!!) tortillas (microwave them between damp paper towels for 10-15 seconds to make them more pliable), dip each side of the tortilla in the sauce to moisten it, take a spoonful of meat/onion mix and a little cheese, roll them up, and put them in the pan.  Top with remaining sauce and healthy amount of cheese.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2012, 01:06:31 PM »
Which one of those fruitbats put black-eyed peas in their chili? Anyone remember?

Black BEANS, yes.  Black eyed peas?  AYFKM?

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2012, 01:11:39 PM »
Kudos to CC27 for having brought this campfire over; I'm sure no one here, including CC27 himself and franksolich, had the slightest idea it'd be so awesomely popular.

Only the primitive campfire about the proper way to grill hamburgers (which of course is the wrong way) ever netted more views and comments, when the topic involved the primitives discussing cooking and baking.
apres moi, le deluge