Author Topic: Cars  (Read 46269 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Cars
« on: February 16, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
Anyone here like mechanics.  I am a nut about cars and working on them.  I love to build hotrods.  I am going to take an engine and engine cradle out from under a 1995 Dodge Caravan and put it under the rear end of a 1987 Ford Ranger. 

For me the fun is building.  I will have to build mounts on the frame of the Ranger to mount the Caravan engine and then will have to build a wiring harness to connect the wiring harness for the Ranger to the wiring harness of the Dodge.  And there are other things that have to be made or adapted to make the marriage work.

Back in the 90's I took and 8 cylinder engine and a 4 speed auto trans from a Cougar and put it in an 87 Ranger.  Talk about something moving.  When you hit the gas pedal that Ranger would literally jump.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
Re: Cars
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:05:02 PM »
I like car I just don't have the money for them most of the time. I more of less restored a Renault 5 once but that is about it.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:00:40 PM »
I knew a dude once that put a 383 stroker into a Chevy Astrovan.  People could tell it wasn't stock when they pulled up next to it and would signal that they wanted to race.  He'd accept, of course, and smoke their ass every single time!  Imagine the pain of losing a race toa minivan!!!   :yahoo:

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:48:57 AM »
I used to have a 72 Cutlass that would smoke Vettes and those 5.0 liter POS Ford products. I had added some stuff to the engine, sans a complete rebuild. It looked like shit but embarrassed a few folks. I also had a 79 Old Cutlass wagon with similar reworkings that got me in trouble with the law. (First gear topped out at 75 mph.....)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 06:03:55 AM »
"Cars" not so much.

Off-road high clearance 4x4 vehicles, either the racing type or the long distance remote area rigs are both of interest.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 12:17:46 PM »
I used to have a 72 Cutlass that would smoke Vettes and those 5.0 liter POS Ford products. I had added some stuff to the engine, sans a complete rebuild. It looked like shit but embarrassed a few folks. I also had a 79 Old Cutlass wagon with similar reworkings that got me in trouble with the law. (First gear topped out at 75 mph.....)

There's no replacement for displacement. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 12:24:51 PM »

How's your 3-series?  I got mine out on the road and it's a hell of a lot of fun.  Light, nimble, and very quick. :hyper:

I do miss having a first gear.  Rush-hour traffic is a PITA without it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 12:28:26 PM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 12:34:06 PM »
How's your 3-series?  I got mine out on the road and it's a hell of a lot of fun.  Light, nimble, and very quick. :hyper:

I do miss having a first gear.  Rush-hour traffic is a PITA without it.

OMG, dude, this car is amazing! When I ride my Busa I like having the ability to get around traffic with ease.  This car gives me the same feeling!  Dallas drivers drive me nuts how they'll get next to each other on a two lane road and match each other's speed.  Meanwhile half of Dallas is stuck behind their rolling roadblock.  With this BMW, I only need a little gap and BLAM, I'm gone.  :D

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:35:59 PM »
Same here.  I can't believe how light the steering is on this car.

I'm picking up a new transmission on Friday or Saturday.  Hopefully I can get it put in this weekend.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 12:39:13 PM »
My stupid "check brake pads" light is on.  I felt the rotors last night and they're grooved out pretty good, so I'm going to be laying in the driveway next week changing pads and rotors.  Yay me.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 05:43:08 PM »

One engine was a 350 Rocket that was cammed out. (The wagon) The other was a 330, cammed out, with headers, edelbrock intake,  ac removed and electric fan. (the ugly coupe)  I spent many an hour tweaking that Q Jet, changing metering rods, etc. Best calculations was that I was oversquare at about 360 HP. My intentions were to put a 3.73 posi in it and get it all painted up. I sold it when I moved from MN back to Texas.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »

True, but there are some ways to even up the odds.  :-)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:04:12 PM by Chris »

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »

You must be a nitrous weenie....... :loser:

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 03:15:28 PM »

:redx:

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 04:21:01 PM »
Stupid jpeg.  This is what I tried to post:

I have never used nitrous.  If I have to refill it to keep my car running, and it isn't gas, I ain't having it.  :-)

Offline USNFlyer

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Constitutional conservative patriot
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 02:52:56 PM »
Yes, I have the disease. It originally was for cars, but spread maliciously to now include boats. At one time it also included airplanes, but, after owning two, I figured out that it is cheaper to rent.
My current fleet of fast cars includes my 650 hp C6 Corvette and my 425 hp Porsche 944 (man, is this ever a sleeper)

Enjoy the pics....................

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future.
John F. Kennedy

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!
Ronald Reagan

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 05:08:51 PM »
Any info on the old Chevrolet pickup in the background?

Offline USNFlyer

• Probationary (Probie)
  • Constitutional conservative patriot
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 06:34:58 AM »
Any info on the old Chevrolet pickup in the background?

Sure. It's a '51 5-window. Solid body. All original glass and interior. Drive train complete but not running. I bought it for a resto project a few years back, but the restored value of these trucks have plummeted and it is not currently economically viable to spend the money it would take. My son wants to make a rat truck out of it, and that may be it's future. All it would require would be to rebuilt the engine, brakes and suspension, and probably a new wiring harness.
I has a cool stainless steel bed liner in it. It was used by a local hotel and they would fill the bed with crushed ice and beer to use at conventions.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future.
John F. Kennedy

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!
Ronald Reagan

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 01:18:56 PM »
I like it.  If I didn't need something to actually haul stuff in the bed, I wanted an older truck like that.  I ended up with a 71 Dodge Sweptline, which isn't bad, though. I hope you keep the original motor in it.   :cheersmate:

Offline Hathcock

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 09:37:26 AM »
Yeah, I have a 69 Camaro that I'm doing a LS1 6 speed swap from a 2001 Trans Am, and a 73 Z/28 I'm building for my oldest son with a 5.3l and 4L60e from a Tahoe.
My daily driver is a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT. It has full Kooks exhaust; long tube headers, cats, and cat back. Under drive pulleys, cold air intake, and a shift kit. It's about 425hp at the tires.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes: if you **** with me, I'll kill you all! - USMC General James Mattis.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 09:50:47 AM »
Holy rise from the crypt!
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Hathcock

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »
yeah, I was going to start a new thread on cars, but I thought I'd bring this one back to life.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes: if you **** with me, I'll kill you all! - USMC General James Mattis.

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
I just got my '65 Thunderbird Saturday!   :yahoo:  Got a sweet deal from my late brother's friend.  And I pick up his (my brother's) '70 Cougar next Monday.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Hathcock

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2013, 12:13:29 PM »
LOL I'm on FB too much I was looking for the like button!

Offline CG6468

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »
Yeah, I have a 69 Camaro that I'm doing a LS1 6 speed swap from a 2001 Trans Am, and a 73 Z/28 I'm building for my oldest son with a 5.3l and 4L60e from a Tahoe.
My daily driver is a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT. It has full Kooks exhaust; long tube headers, cats, and cat back. Under drive pulleys, cold air intake, and a shift kit. It's about 425hp at the tires.

A guy at the local car show was driving a Dodge Dart, with about 600HP under the hood.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town