Author Topic: obscure Biblical phrase  (Read 4212 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
obscure Biblical phrase
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:05:18 AM »
I'm trying to find what is apparently some sort of obscure Biblical phrase, to use this weekend when talking about the Wars for the Liberation of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Biblical scholarship isn't something I've ever done, and so I went to two different members of the Assembly of God in the big city to inquire, as they do a lot of this stuff.  They both immediately found something similar, but not quite the same thing.

Some time ago I read in a book--the title and the subject matter of the book escapes me, as I devour so many books; it could have even been in a book about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, for all I know--a reference in the Bible to "the rivers ran red with blood," after which the explanation that it was because the people did not exercise their God-given judgement and justice on wrong-doers; they let them go on their merry way to wreak more havoc and destruction and death.

This of course has relevance in this time and place, what with the way those who oppress, torture and damage, and kill, others, are tolerated.  Or common criminals, even.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Zeus

Re: obscure Biblical phrase
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:28:13 AM »
Book of Exodus:

7:19 And the LORD spake unto Moses, Say unto Aaron, Take thy rod, and stretch out thine hand upon the waters of Egypt, upon their streams, upon their rivers, and upon their ponds, and upon all their pools of water, that they may become blood; and that there may be blood throughout all the land of Egypt, both in vessels of wood, and in vessels of stone.

7:20 And Moses and Aaron did so, as the LORD commanded; and he lifted up the rod, and smote the waters that were in the river, in the sight of Pharaoh, and in the sight of his servants; and all the waters that were in the river were turned to blood.

The plaques are simply more than a battle between God and the Egyptian Pharaoh. God is also making war on the Egyptian gods.God, the God of Israel, therefore shows the Egyptians that their gods have no power compared to Him.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:36:05 AM »
That's not quite the same thing, Zeus, sir.

The members of the Assembly of God found something closer, but not the same thing, somewhere else; I wish I had kept the place, but I didn't, because it wasn't quite right.

What I'm thinking of is a reference to "rivers running red with blood" BECAUSE the people refused to exercise judgement and justice.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline megimoo

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 08:39:07 AM »
I'm trying to find what is apparently some sort of obscure Biblical phrase, to use this weekend when talking about the Wars for the Liberation of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Biblical scholarship isn't something I've ever done, and so I went to two different members of the Assembly of God in the big city to inquire, as they do a lot of this stuff.  They both immediately found something similar, but not quite the same thing.

Some time ago I read in a book--the title and the subject matter of the book escapes me, as I devour so many books; it could have even been in a book about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, for all I know--a reference in the Bible to "the rivers ran red with blood," after which the explanation that it was because the people did not exercise their God-given judgement and justice on wrong-doers; they let them go on their merry way to wreak more havoc and destruction and death.

This of course has relevance in this time and place, what with the way those who oppress, torture and damage, and kill, others, are tolerated.  Or common criminals, even.
Try these !

http://www.khoras.net/Khoras/History/Ages/Great%20War/Greatwar.htm

http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/pol/pol50.htm

http://www.thehistorypress.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=7748&CategoryID=207&ProductID=2728&PageIndex=7&language=en-US

http://www.khoras.net/Khoras/Religion/Gods%20of%20the%20Borrellians/Aughrim.htm

http://www.book.co.nz/vander.htm

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 12:15:05 AM »
How about Revelation 16?  Check different versions.  Here's KJV:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation%2016%20;&version=9;

You can change the versions in the right-hand box under "PASSAGE RESULTS."

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 07:20:17 PM »
I couldn't find anything like this, frank, so I asked Mr Smith, who is our Biblical expert.  He knows of nothing saying "the rivers ran red" due to disobedience, but many were killed in Exodus and other Old Testament books for disobedience. 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 07:24:29 PM »
I couldn't find anything like this, frank, so I asked Mr Smith, who is our Biblical expert.  He knows of nothing saying "the rivers ran red" due to disobedience, but many were killed in Exodus and other Old Testament books for disobedience. 

The "rivers ran red with blood" because the people themselves refused to exercise judgement and justice, is the way I read in some history book.

Sort of in the same sense that crime and murder is rampant because too many criminals are treated too leniently.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 09:15:50 PM »
Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 05:41:57 PM »

The "rivers ran red with blood" because the people themselves refused to exercise judgement and justice, is the way I read in some history book.

Sort of in the same sense that crime and murder is rampant because too many criminals are treated too leniently.
Yes, all except for the "rivers" part.  It is a common theme in the Bible, especially in the Old Testament...when people are too lenient with those that break God's Law, they all suffer.  Of course, today we balance that with the New Testament...which is based on the original Abrahamic covenant and affects believers as singular individuals instead of a group as a whole.  Still, it's obvious that the depraved culture has a very negative affect on Christians and their behavior.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 10:20:52 AM »
Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

*BLAM*BLAM*BLAM*BLAM*BLAM*BLAM*BLAM*BLAM*BLAM*BLAM*BLAM*BLAM*BLAM*BLAM*

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 12:11:29 AM »
The rabbit, though it chews the cud, does not have a split hoof; it is unclean for you.
-Leviticus 11:6
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline OkieJohn

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 08:59:31 PM »
Revelation 16:4

Then the third angel poured out his bowl on the rivers and springs, and they became blood.

This pertains to the seven bowls of God's wrath.