Author Topic: Birthday Gift For Dad  (Read 1652 times)

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Birthday Gift For Dad
« on: March 16, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
My dad turned 71 on the 15th, so I put my Photoshop abilities to use to make him something special - I resized it down to make it Web friendly, as the work is a 16x20 inch photo print at 300 DPI resolution.

Unknown to him, I sourced the original photos, restored them, cropped them to line up their profiles, enlarged them to 5x8 (possible as I scanned the sources at 2400 DPI.) from wallet sized images and photoshopped the background details from web sourced data.

Left to right : brother-in-law, brother, dad, and uncle. Though his birthday has passed by, we should be doing something this weekend and he will get the framed work then.- I suspect he will like it as other than the original wallet photo I stole, he has no photos of his service. It took a great deal of work to fix his image as well as my uncle's as dad's was discolored to the point of being brown, and uncle's was a barely visible faded black and white(well, yellow and brown at this time), and the finish on it crazed. I re-colored it to mimic the uniform's original shade of green after fixing as much detail as possible. Brother-in law's photo had this horrible 80's silhouette thing going on, which I eliminated during processing.

Wait till mom learns I stole her wedding photos too ;)  

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
Re: Birthday Gift For Dad
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:45:42 PM »
What a beautiful gift for him. I am working on finding out all the ribbons and medals my dad got as a soldier and going to put that and all the ranks he had in a shadow box behind a flag for his birthday. His birthday is special because it is Flag Day and the Army's birthday as well.
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:55:52 AM »
Excellent work, miskie.   :bow: 

Photoshop is one of those things I am going to teach myself some day......

.............when I've got about six years of nothing else planned.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 02:14:36 PM »
What a beautiful gift for him. I am working on finding out all the ribbons and medals my dad got as a soldier and going to put that and all the ranks he had in a shadow box behind a flag for his birthday. His birthday is special because it is Flag Day and the Army's birthday as well.

when you do this, make sure you go to armyawards.com and click on "rackbuilder" so that you can have them all on the rack in proper order.  It's the little touches, ya know...

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:43:30 PM »
when you do this, make sure you go to armyawards.com and click on "rackbuilder" so that you can have them all on the rack in proper order.  It's the little touches, ya know...

Thank's Doc I wouldn't have thought about that what a great idea
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.