Author Topic: Recommended Conservative Fantasy & Sci Fi Authors  (Read 17963 times)

Offline Gravis

• Probationary (Probie)
Recommended Conservative Fantasy & Sci Fi Authors
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:49:04 PM »
Just wondering if anyone can recommend some good conservative fantasy/scifi authors, and not just the standards (Tolkien/Lewis), but contemporary writers. Google does not seem to be my friend when it comes to searching with such tags. If there's any writers in the comic book world that aren't super left-leaning either that'd be cool to check out too. Thanks!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Recommended Conservative Fantasy & Sci Fi Authors
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:51:22 PM »
Orson Scott Card and Robert Heinlein would be the first two I would recommend.  Possibly Richard Matheson who did some Twilight Zone stories (and 'I Am Legend').

I don't know her personal politics, but I enjoyed Suzanne Collins' "Hunger Games" books.  IMHO, very dark and engrossing.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 11:04:25 PM »
David Weber is another very good, conservative author.

Heck most of the authors publishing under the Baen trademark at least lean right of center in my experience.  A good place to start.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:48:16 PM »
I have noticed that Dean Koontz newer books are conservative.  I love his Odd Thomas series.  Also Ted Dekker who is more Christian than Conservative but he has some really good books too.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 04:51:44 PM »
John Ringo, David Pournelle, S.M. Stirling n' David Drake.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:32:12 AM »
Not so current, but Keith Laumer is one I'd recommend.  More of a Libertarian than a Conservative, but definitely not a Lib.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 10:26:21 PM »
me

:-)
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline ribbit

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 10:10:04 AM »
Larry Correia is GREAT.  Monster Hunter International, etc.
Would Queen Elizabeth let us come back under King George's taxation?

Offline Delmar

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 10:19:10 AM »
franksolich
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline andhe78

• Banned
  • Just Off Probation
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 12:14:53 PM »
Sorry if I'm necroing a dead thread, but just happened to stumble across it and am a big science fiction fan.

Conservative, contemporary writers-I see most of the main ones have been hit on.  Orson Scott Card is good, although I think his work has been slipping lately.  David Weber has some excellent stuff out there but he can get way too deep into alien politics in some of his books for my liking.  David Drake is one my favorites, haven't read any of his stuff I didn't like.  And of course John Ringo, although some of his work seems a little sloppy at times.  The first four books of the Aldenata Series are excellent and his latest series, Troy Rising is pretty good.  My favorite of his is The Last Centurion, which while not a science fiction story in the literal sense of the word, is still a good read.  The blog writing style takes a bit to get used to, but I've seen very few fiction books that will get liberals foaming at the mouth like this one does. 

There are several newer science fiction writers that as a conservative I like, but I don't know what their beliefs are.  These include:
Simon R Green-the first few books in the Deathstalker Saga are a good scifi/fantasy story.
Michael Williamson- Freehold and The Warrior are enjoyable.
Ian Douglas-His space marines are fun to read about.
Jack Campbell-The Lost Fleet series is one of the better reads I've had in the last couple years.
Taylor Anderson-The Destroyerman Series is just a good story.
Larry Correia-Glad to see him mentioned here, his Monster Hunter series is pure fluff reading, but it's so much fun.
Steven White-His Starfire novels are enjoyable.
John Scalzi-his Old Man's War may be a bit more liberal than you like, but he is a good writer.

As for fantasy authors, once again I don't know their political leanings, but I like Glenn Cook and Dave Duncan.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »
^Anne McCaffrey  ?
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.