Author Topic: Dish Network/High Def/Plasma TV's  (Read 2358 times)

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
Dish Network/High Def/Plasma TV's
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:16:28 AM »
Help?

My mother is becoming more and more blind.  Like REALLY blind.  She went to a workshop recently to learn how to do things completely blind.  The TV at her house is about 20 years old, just a plain ole TV.  She was amazed that at her doctors office, and in the hotel room that she could see the TV.  It seems it has to do with the resolution.  (Disclaimer, I am NOT technical)

I am planning a visit to her, and one of our missions is to buy a new TV, and she has been given guidance, that she should go to a store, with a sunvisor so she can test out the screens.  (The sunvisor is to get rid of the overhead glare.) 

Now, she knows she needs to check with Dish Network, to see what resolution she should get, as well.  But I am thinking that if she gets a high def TV, then it is no good if she doesn't have a high def receiver, right?  I also want to get one that would be able to interface with computer technology as well. 

Does anyone out there have any advice for me?   My time will be limited at my Mom's, so I am trying to do as much research as possible proactively.

Thanks for your time.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Dish Network/High Def/Plasma TV's
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:23:19 AM »
I would go with a 720p.  They're less expensive than 1080i or 1080p sets.  You can go to WalMart and compare their 720p TVs... there is a huge range in quality between them.

I wonder if it has to do with the brightness and screen size and not the resolution.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:26:03 AM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:26:28 AM »
Do ya know anything about that High Def stuff?  p is pixel, right?  Wouldn't more pixels have more clarity? 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:28:07 AM »
p is "pure", i is "interlaced".  It has to do with the refresh rate.  TV's with pure refresh rates are clearer.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 08:35:02 AM »
Well alright then.  That is a start.  Thanks for not laughing at the pixel question.   :loser:<<me

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 08:42:26 AM »
Go to WalMart and look at the TV's they have on display.  They have some really good 720p/720i sets for sale at good prices and some that are not so good.  There's a huge difference in quality between one TV and another.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 08:53:37 AM »
Yes, if you have a hi def TV and want to receive hi def you need a hi def receiver and antennae.  Dish will usually upgrade you to that stuff for free but it costs and extra $5.00/month for the hi def signal.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Yes, if you have a hi def TV and want to receive hi def you need a hi def receiver and antennae.  Dish will usually upgrade you to that stuff for free but it costs and extra $5.00/month for the hi def signal.

KC

Thanks.  I knew that was the way it was for broadband, so I figured there would be something similar in Dish-land. 

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:32:05 AM »
We bought a 32" JVC -LCD at Sam's last summer, for our bedroom. It was $400-something. I wanted it, because the screen was bigger vertically than many of the other brands.

We have DirecTV and after "firing" DISH, and only the family room tv is hooked up to a HD box that records.

DirecTV will record 2 programs at the same time, but if watching the tv, you have to watch one of those being recorded. DISH only records one at a time, and you have to watch that same program....unless they have changed it in the last 2 years. The whole point, to me, of getting a box to record is so that I can watch one show, and record a DIFFERENT show! DISH didn't tell us prior to going through the whole thing of a new box, that it wouldn't do what we wanted it to, even though when I ordered it, I TOLD the guy what I wanted it to do!! DirecTV is also switching over to all company techs for installation, instead of contracting the work out to independents....makes it a whole lot easier when there is a problem to get it fixed. We had to have our house completely rewired last year, and we didn't have to pay for it, because their sub-contractor had done it incorrectly.

Now that I've ranted about DISH.... :-)

The reception is just as good on the bedroom tv that's an LCD as it is on the family room one that is a much bigger 6yo Samsung flat screen, or the 5yo JVC flat screen in the "man cave" that's on the same type box as the one in the bedroom.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 11:37:43 AM »
We bought a 32" JVC -LCD at Sam's last summer, for our bedroom. It was $400-something. I wanted it, because the screen was bigger vertically than many of the other brands.

We have DirecTV and after "firing" DISH, and only the family room tv is hooked up to a HD box that records.

DirecTV will record 2 programs at the same time, but if watching the tv, you have to watch one of those being recorded. DISH only records one at a time, and you have to watch that same program....unless they have changed it in the last 2 years. The whole point, to me, of getting a box to record is so that I can watch one show, and record a DIFFERENT show! DISH didn't tell us prior to going through the whole thing of a new box, that it wouldn't do what we wanted it to, even though when I ordered it, I TOLD the guy what I wanted it to do!! DirecTV is also switching over to all company techs for installation, instead of contracting the work out to independents....makes it a whole lot easier when there is a problem to get it fixed. We had to have our house completely rewired last year, and we didn't have to pay for it, because their sub-contractor had done it incorrectly.

Now that I've ranted about DISH.... :-)

The reception is just as good on the bedroom tv that's an LCD as it is on the family room one that is a much bigger 6yo Samsung flat screen, or the 5yo JVC flat screen in the "man cave" that's on the same type box as the one in the bedroom.

Yeah, Dish will record 2 shows at once.  As a matter of fact when I had DirecTV you had to have 2 coaxiels to record 2 shows.  With Dish you can record 2 shows per coaxiel.  So ... if you have 2 cables running to the TV you can record 4 shows at one time.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 12:13:15 PM »
Yeah, Dish will record 2 shows at once.  As a matter of fact when I had DirecTV you had to have 2 coaxiels to record 2 shows.  With Dish you can record 2 shows per coaxiel.  So ... if you have 2 cables running to the TV you can record 4 shows at one time.

KC

As I said, I didn't know if they had changed, or not. I was just so mad at the time, and our whole system was screwed up....I just wanted to be done with them.

I think it's also where you live as to which one does better. When we had a condo in Key West, Direct was horrible and DISH was better. Here in E TN, Direct is better.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 01:08:48 PM »
As I said, I didn't know if they had changed, or not. I was just so mad at the time, and our whole system was screwed up....I just wanted to be done with them.

I think it's also where you live as to which one does better. When we had a condo in Key West, Direct was horrible and DISH was better. Here in E TN, Direct is better.

Yeah, they both suck in some areas and excel in others.  When I first started getting satellite TV it was with PrimeStar who got absorbed by DirecTV.  DirecTV couldn't give us any answers as to what that meant so I went with Dish.  Had Dish for about 6 years when one of their customer service girls got really snarky with me so we moved to DirecTV for a couple of years then one of their CS people got a little bitchy and I switched back to Dish. 

I mean ... it's either one or the other.  I don't know about now but DirecTV's DVR used to be Tivo and it was AWESOME in how it functioned.  Dish's is a little on the 'clunky' side but I like their programming better.

It really is 6 to one 1/2 dozen to another.

KC

*Stolen

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 01:21:08 PM »
I have FIOS and love it.  I loathe the dishes.  The house I used to live in was smack dab set up for the satellite to go out at the nearest sight of wind. 

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 01:53:36 AM »
HDTV Primer:

Back in the early 80's, I attended the local Vocational-Technical electronics school in Idaho Falls, ID where they used TV repair as an instructional methodology for basic electronics. Most every type of electronic circuitry that exists (at the time) was used in TVs. I became pretty darn good at TV repair but had zero intentions of working in a TV repair shop.

CRT (Cathode Ray Tube - the picture tube on standard TVs) has an aspect ratio of 4:3 - the picture tube is 4x inches in width by 3x inches tall and uses what is called "interlacing" to build or "draw" the picture on the screen.
Interlaced scan is a way to describe how some video signals and displays form an image. America's NTSC (National Television System Committee) analog television system uses 525 scanning lines to create each complete picture (frame). The frame/picture is made up of two fields: The first field has 262.5 odd lines (1,3,5...) and the second field has 262.5 even lines (2,4,6...). The odd lines are scanned (drawn on the screen) in 1/60th of a second, and the even lines follow in the next 1/60th of a second. This presents a complete frame/picture of 525 lines in 1/30th of a second.

Progressive scan:
Some digital television broadcast formats (720p, 480p), and most DVD players, use a type of video signal known as progressive scan. Instead of splitting each video frame into two sequential fields like analog interlaced NTSC video, progressive-scan video displays the entire frame in a single sweep. For example, where standard NTSC video displays 30 frames (60 fields) per second, progressive scan displays 60 complete frames per second.

Another way to look at it is that progressive-scan video has twice as much picture information as the equivalent interlaced video format. Progressive-scan picture quality is more film like, with more fine detail and less flicker. Virtually all of today's digital TVs are progressive-scan displays, with screen resolutions of 720p, 768p or 1080p.
720P is on its way out. At today's low priced it would be a disadvantage not to buy 1080i at a minimum.

Today's HDTV's have an aspect ratio of 16:9. (Widescreen)

I now use Dish and their HDTV DVR box is great! I started with DirecTV in 1995 and installed it myself. I now have Dish because their new HDTV DVR boxes can record two different channels, or record one and watch another AND, drive two TV's, one HDTV and one standard TV independently at the same time! They use one coax cable from the dish to the box which has two independent tuners in the box.
The HDTV package costs $10.00 per month and they just keep adding more and more HDTV channels without increasing the cost.

I would visit your grandmother's local Sam's Club or Costco and check out their HDTV selection. Visio, while not the BEST HDTV flat panel TV's, offer some very good bang for the buck. Buying local makes warranty returns much easier than shipping a TV back to the retailer or manufacturer.

The plasma TV's offer a "smoother" more fluid and brighter picture over their LCD counterparts. If you got the cash and buy an LCD TV make sure it uses the new 240Hz LED models or you will be viewing motion artifacts with fast moving scenes on the TV. If you do buy a new HDTV, the FIRST thing you should do is access the TV's settings and reduce the Brightness and Contrast or Picture levels to at least 50% of their manufacture out of the box settings. Since the majority of TV's are sold out of big-box retailers, whom use harsh fluorescent or mercury-vapor lighting, the TV's brightness and contrast are set to full blast or what we call "Flame Mode". This makes the resulting picture have more "pop" when viewed under those lighting conditions which are the very WORST lighting conditions to view and evaluate TV picture quality.

You can read more here.

The first plasma I bought in 2004, a Panasonic 1080i model:

Oh, and here is my Home Automation closet - controls the home. I am in the process of re-wiring and removing stuff:

BTW, the guy that invented the TV, Mr Farnsworth, lived in Rigby, ID about 20 miles from where I grew up. "Grew up" being used in a relative context of course.
So take that you potato bashers.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄