Author Topic: Geez. Neighbors.  (Read 2569 times)

Offline CG6468

Geez. Neighbors.
« on: June 29, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »
My neighbor told me yesterday that his lawn tractor was in the shop and out of commission for at least two weeks.

His yard was really getting shaggy (over 6" high for most of it), so today I went across our driveway and mowed and mulched his grass. It's a big yard, over 1 acre of grass and mature oak trees, and I had to go real slow in places. I just thought it was the neighborly thing to do, and I expected only a "Thank you" for it.

It also makes for a better appearance if and when anyone comes to see our house, so there was some ulterior motive for me, too.

He just rang the doorbell and handed me $25 "for gas." I told him I didn't expect that, but he insisted.

Damn! Now I don't know how to feel about the 1.5 hours I spent on my tractor for him!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:13:31 PM by CG6468 »
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
Re: Geez. Neighbors.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 02:49:20 PM »
I don't like taking money for things, but sometimes it's ruder not to. 

Any potential prospects on selling your home yet?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »
Well, I might interpret his offer for gas as a "thank you" all by itself. He's trying to be self-sufficient and while you did what you did without his asking, I would be inclined to at least offer the money for his time if it were me with the shaggy grass.

Of course, a simple, "Dang, Jeff, I really appreciate what you did" would not have been out of place either.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 09:46:57 AM »
I don't like taking money for things, but sometimes it's ruder not to. 

Any potential prospects on selling your home yet?

I agree, BattleHymn.

No prospects yet, but we're hoping.  :bow2:

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 02:16:56 PM »
Wanna mow my lawn?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline longview

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 03:26:29 PM »
That was nice of him.  And, even with your self interest involved, nice of you. 

All in all, sounds like a civil exchange between neighbors. 

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 05:44:14 PM »
My neighbor told me yesterday that his lawn tractor was in the shop and out of commission for at least two weeks.

His yard was really getting shaggy (over 6" high for most of it), so today I went across our driveway and mowed and mulched his grass. It's a big yard, over 1 acre of grass and mature oak trees, and I had to go real slow in places. I just thought it was the neighborly thing to do, and I expected only a "Thank you" for it.

It also makes for a better appearance if and when anyone comes to see our house, so there was some ulterior motive for me, too.

He just rang the doorbell and handed me $25 "for gas." I told him I didn't expect that, but he insisted.

Damn! Now I don't know how to feel about the 1.5 hours I spent on my tractor for him!

Take that money and invite him and his over for  BBQ!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 07:21:42 PM »
That was nice of him.  And, even with your self interest involved, nice of you. 

All in all, sounds like a civil exchange between neighbors.

All of us in the neighborhood get along fine. What I did was the correct, and neighborly, thing to do. He had a MATURE white oak (immediately next to the driveway, with big limbs falling out of it from time to time) taken down (mostly) yesterday, and I got some of the wood from that. The tree guys will be back in about 2 weeks to take down the trunk, which by itself is about 50' tall. I'll get more wood from that, too.

And a neighbor is having a 2.5' diameter at the base red oak taken down. It's a huge tree, about 75' tall. When it falls, people will feel it hit the ground.

Another neighbor will have a huge white oak taken down, and I can have as much of that tree as I want, too. I don't want much of it. He had a maple and an ash taken down yesterday and will cut them up and split them for the fireplace and the outdoor fire pit.