Author Topic: This is why conservatives are not funny.  (Read 604 times)

Offline Mary Ann

This is why conservatives are not funny.
« on: April 07, 2021, 11:13:43 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/1017650413
Yavin4 (32,282 posts)

This is why conservatives are not funny.

(With video from Greg Gutfeld's new show.)

Has anyone here seen Gutfeld? I thought that a little of Greg goes a loooong way, and I wasn't sure he could pull off a nightly show.I may have been wrong about that, because Tyrus is a great foil--funny, at times, and really insightful at other times. The parodies are pretty good, especially Tom, who does a good Biden, and Kat who does a good Psaki.

Besides, with Trump gone and their favored candidate in the WH, what are Colbert, Kimmel, etc. going to tell jokes about? WE may find Biden to be a bottomless treasure trove of humor, but they will never tell a joke that makes him look like the addled old fool he is. Gutfeld will have the corner on political humor.

Anyway, I brought this over because the DUpipo try to explain why conservatives can't do comedy. Stupid, and revealing.
Buckeye_Democrat (11,167 posts)

1. They indeed suck at comedy.

I think they COULD pull it off, but it would need to be something like "Curb Your Enthusiasm", with a main character often getting berated by people from the far-left or whatever.

They'd have to play to their sense of perpetual victimhood about it, but portray the main character as a mostly hapless and misunderstood punching bag. Like Larry David screaming, "Nooo... that's not what I meant! Come back! Nooo!"

That approach might bother their authoritarian-types who'd be turned off by any displays of weakness, but I think their only hope in comedy is to make the main characters at least somewhat sympathetic.

Their sense of humor more often seems like something that would make a cruel Roman emperor laugh.

Edit: They should just stick with "America's Funniest Home Videos", laughing hysterically at the videos that show people getting hurt.
Yes, something is ONLY funny if a conservative-type is being ridiculed.  :whatever: as far as AFHV, remember Tosh.O, or whatever it was? I bet his intended audience wasn't the far right.
Grokenstein (3,603 posts)

2. Some of them don't even know how to laugh like humans
Star Member GoneOffShore (15,457 posts)

8. It's because their human suits make them itch.
Is THAT supposed to be funny?
Midnight Writer (10,950 posts)

5. Cruelty is not funny.

To most people.
Well, Kamala apparently thinks kids in cages is hillarious.
PurgedVoter (1,209 posts)

7. Close to the target

Comedy requires being able to look multiple sides of things and seeing the issues. Being able to see how others feel about things is the root of compassion. So it is not a Conservative thing.
These people are nothing if not oblivious to their own faults.

Offline ADsOutburst

Re: This is why conservatives are not funny.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 11:37:00 AM »
For leftists to claim that conservatives aren't funny is what we call "irony".

Attempts at humor on the left largely fall into two categories. The first is that which is meant to be inoffensive, and thus isn't funny. The other is that which is meant to be offensive to Trump supporters, Christians, and so on, but which lacks any significant basis in reality, and thus isn't funny.

For further evidence of the left's indisputable unfunniness, look at their attempts to meme, or their use of terms like 'snowflake', or 'Karen', or 'NPC'. The left doesn't create any of this stuff, they just try to hijack the work of the right. When called an insult, all they can do is feebly cast it back at the source of the insult, with no real understanding of what the insult actually meant.

Oh yeah, and there's this book  :lmao::

https://www.amazon.com/Yes-We-Can-Meme-Progressive-Left/dp/1521793573/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=yes+we+can+meme&qid=1617813870&sr=8-2

It's like a self-help book for hapless leftists trying to be funny. Such a powerful affirmation likely wouldn't be necessary if indeed they could meme.

And perhaps most of all, humor requires originality. Leftists think and act as a unit, so originality isn't their strong suit.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:55:14 AM by ADsOutburst »

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 11:54:56 AM »
The only reason liberals think it isn't funny is because it ridiculed Democrats.  And in Gutfeld's case, his show attacks the politicians, not those who vote Democrat.

The other late night shows ridicule Republican voters and Trump supporters.  Elite effete liberal writers trying to please an crowd of applauding seals.

Gutfeld's show was excellent, and it was refreshing to see it moved to 5 nights a week.  I've had to adjust my bedtime, so thanks a lot Greg! :banghead: :-)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 12:08:20 PM »
I've had to adjust my bedtime, so thanks a lot Greg! :banghead: :-)
We record it and watch it the next morning! (There are a few things about this century that I really do like.   :) )

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 12:44:34 PM »
Gutfield must've been on target if DUpipo are shooting flak instead of addressing his points.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 02:27:09 PM »
I’ve been laughing at liberals’ stupidity for years. They hate that.

No doubt being “woke” also involves finding the officially designated humor to be funny. Oh well, guess I’ll just have to pass on that portion of their nonsense, too.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Workover

• Retired and loving it
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 02:49:11 PM »
If you’re not having fun it’s your own damn fault!

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 06:18:57 PM »
We record it and watch it the next morning! (There are a few things about this century that I really do like.   :) )

Same boat here, Mary Ann.  The DVR is one of the best inventions since, I guess the VCR. :-)
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 07:21:28 PM »
Aren't Proggies on a crusade to ban all forms of humor that might be funny? :fuelfire:  :tongue:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.