Author Topic: Your Union Friends  (Read 4898 times)

Offline 5412

Re: Your Union Friends
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 08:57:31 PM »
Hi,

Here is one for you.  I summer in Illinois, the state is broke and the legislature is going to pass a bill banning trans fat.  Now Sears, one of the great Chicago based companies is going to move their headquarters out of Illinois, just like Motorola before them.  The paper asked for readers to vote about how they felt about the proposed law.  Here is what I wrote them this morning.

Dear Editor,

I see in today's paper that the Illinois legislature is likely to pass a bill to ban trans-fat and the paper is conducting a poll.  Here is my vote.

Isn't it time for Illinois legislators to stop trying to be our nannies and be responsible adults?  The budget mess is terrible, things are getting worse not better and they fiddle with trans fats.  Apparently they do not think adults are capable of making adult decisions so they have to pass this stupid bill.  Perhaps they should show some adult behavior and make some responsible decisions like spending their time on things that need to be fixed. 

Sears, once an Illinois stalwart company now wants to leave town.  Doesn't anyone realize that perhaps it is a result of the political climate and tax structure in Illinois?  Perhaps one might consider that McDonalds is also headquartered in Illinois.  Wonder how long before they decide to leave Illinois also....

My vote, go to work and solve the budget problem and keep your hands off my french fries.....

These idiots in the union/democrat state are insane.  I would not be surprised to see McDonalds move their headquarters out of the state also, and who the hell can blame them.  It seems the union/liberal states are trying to solve all their budget problems by taxing the hell out of all those big, evil corporations, and then they wonder why the leave.  Damn right Boeing should move it all out of Washington, it is just a matter of time.  They will build some satellite plants around the country and then one day announce they are shutting down Everett and I will be cheering.

regards,

Offline thundley4

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 09:06:37 PM »
Illinois will never change until Chicago no longer controls the state.

Offline 5412

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 07:35:15 AM »
Illinois will never change until Chicago no longer controls the state.

Hi,

You know if you really think about it, the unions get their bad reputation moreso for their methods than their purpose.  Why is it, particularly in Illinois, they have been more thugs than anything. 

My grandson gave me a book on the building of the original soldier field.  It was built during the depression and the cost and pandering to the unions was amazing.  FDR came for a political rally and the unions packed the place.  As the book says they took attendance and if you were a union member and not there they sent thugs to your door and basically dragged you to the place.

Take that with the corruption over the decades and it is no wonder a vast majority of the public has a problem with unions.  They may well have solved a lot of problems in the workplace; but not without creating many more.

regards,

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 08:38:34 AM »
Hi,

You know if you really think about it, the unions get their bad reputation moreso for their methods than their purpose.  Why is it, particularly in Illinois, they have been more thugs than anything. 

As Professor Parkinson taught, no matter how laudable or positive the nominal purpose of any organization may be, they all ultimately have one paramount purpose - to survive, grow, and expand their own power, which all too often comes to overwhelm the original positive for which they stood.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 12:00:48 PM »
As Professor Parkinson taught, no matter how laudable or positive the nominal purpose of any organization may be, they all ultimately have one paramount purpose - to survive, grow, and expand their own power, which all too often comes to overwhelm the original positive for which they stood.

I've never even heard of Professor Parkinson, but anyone who has ever been a part of ANY organization for very long knows that your quote is the God's honest truth....for anyone who's paying attention.

h5

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2011, 12:21:57 PM »
I've never even heard of Professor Parkinson, but anyone who has ever been a part of ANY organization for very long knows that your quote is the God's honest truth....for anyone who's paying attention.

h5

And it applies more so to government.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2011, 01:33:41 PM »

h5

Google up Parkinson's Law (Actually 'laws,' as I recall), Parkinson was a pretty original thinker who was among the first to see the big picture of bureaucracies as entities in themselves, rather than as just the collective effort and psychology of the individuals in them.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »
I love this one [from the Wiki article]:

"Parkinson's second law", is "expenditures rise to meet income".

This is the principal reason we cannot EVER trust Congress to collectively hold spending down and simply "do the right thing." That money burns a hole in their wallets.

This one is even better:

Parkinson also proposed a rule about the efficiency of administrative councils. He defined a coefficient of inefficiency with the number of members as the main determining variable.

When you click on the link "coefficient of inefficiency" you see that Wiki has deleted that page.

:rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:22:51 PM by Eupher »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2011, 02:22:01 PM »

This is the principal reason we cannot EVER trust Congress to collectively hold spending down and simply "do the right thing." That money burns a hole in their wallets.

And that is why they never want a balanced budget amendment. They need deficit spending as a reason to raise taxes.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2011, 03:10:53 PM »
When you click on the link "coefficient of inefficiency" you see that Wiki has deleted that page.

Yeah, in that vein I still remember from reading him many, many years ago the example of the staffing of the 'British Colonial Office' or something very similar, comparing its staffing over the years to the number of British colonies still in existence...although the number of colonies was steadily declining, the number of Colonial Office employees kept rising, and at a rate higher than a mere inversely-proportional relationship would predict.

:-)

Offline 5412

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 07:45:33 PM »

This one is even better:

:rotf: :lmao: :rotf: :lmao:

HI,

I wish that the expenditures would rise to meet income, our governement blows that all to hell.  Reagan said that no matter how much money the federal goverment takes in congress will spend at least a hundred billion more.  He contended that you needed to reduce taxes and income and that was the only way to cut spending.  Hell he never met BO, government revenue means nothing to him, if you come up short just print the money on a printing press.

regards,

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 06:47:52 AM »
Google up Parkinson's Law (Actually 'laws,' as I recall), Parkinson was a pretty original thinker...

I'm a huge fan.

I even have the commemorative Parkinson's bobble-head doll.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline thundley4

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 06:51:25 AM »
I'm a huge fan.

I even have the commemorative Parkinson's bobble-head doll.

DO you keep it next to the Alex P. Keaton bobble-head?

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2011, 07:00:53 AM »

Self-shaking, right?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 07:04:29 AM »

I came up with that years ago for a conservative marketing catalog.

I also had cherry-flavored mace...because feminists need all the help they can  get...and a low-wattage electric sun-dial.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."