Author Topic: Translator collapsed during Khadafy's rambling diatribe  (Read 719 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Translator collapsed during Khadafy's rambling diatribe
« on: September 25, 2009, 01:37:35 PM »
After struggling to turn Khadafy’s insane ramblings at the UN into English for 75 minutes, the Libyan dictator’s personal interpreter got lost in translation.

"I just can’t take it any more," Khadafy’s interpreter shouted into the live microphone – in Arabic.

At that point, the U.N.’s Arabic section chief, Rasha Ajalyaqeen, took over and translated the final 20 minutes of the speech.

"His interpreter just collapsed – this is the first time I have seen this in 25 years," another U.N. Arabic interpreter told The Post.

Breaking with protocol, Khadafy brought his own interpreters from Tripoli for Wednesday’s speech rather than use one of the 25 Arabic translators supplied by the United Nations, staff interpreters said. ...
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/translator_collapsed_during_khadafy_EAHR9j2jHOt8Y6TFRhrcQM

Offline Casey

• Probationary (Probie)
Re: Translator collapsed during Khadafy's rambling diatribe
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 02:58:28 PM »
That. Is. Hilarious.
"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society." -Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 03:17:54 PM »
I tried listening to the translator.  He was incomprehensible.  I'm not surprised he had a meltdown.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 04:24:38 PM »
Anybody see a transcript of the "speech"?

If the freakin' translator blew a gasket at the thing, I'm kinda wonderin' how the thing got "cleaned up" following the meltdown.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 04:26:38 PM »
Poor buddy.  I am guessing he ain't having the best week ever.  I don't see a promotion in his future.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 04:31:28 PM »
Poor buddy.  I am guessing he ain't having the best week ever.  I don't see a promotion in his future.

Probably has a date with a saif once they get back to Tripoli.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi