Author Topic: Saw this outside the Smithsonian  (Read 1012 times)

Offline 5412

Saw this outside the Smithsonian
« on: August 31, 2010, 10:54:23 PM »
Hi,

We went to the American History Musem of the Smithsonian.  Outside there was a booth selling military stuff.  My favorite was the bumper sticket that said, "Vietnam vets are not Fonda Jane!"

Gave that one two thumbs up!

regards,

Offline seabelle

• "she walked into the cave...she was not afraid"
Re: Saw this outside the Smithsonian
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 07:04:56 AM »
I was at the History museum too, always have to stop by and say hi to the First Ladies when I'm in DC.  I was not at all impressed with Michelle Obama's inaugural dress her lapdog media and fan sites like to gush over.......way too busy for my taste with the illusion of cotton balls and little silver spiders glued all over it.  The fabric was not white, nor ivory, but a dingy bedsheet that's been sitting in grandma's closet for too long.  The sheer fugliness stood out against all the other FLOTUS's dresses on display.

Oh, did you see the Greensboro Lunch Counter show?  I was "in" it  :yum:

Offline 5412

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 07:56:40 AM »
I was at the History museum too, always have to stop by and say hi to the First Ladies when I'm in DC.  I was not at all impressed with Michelle Obama's inaugural dress her lapdog media and fan sites like to gush over.......way too busy for my taste with the illusion of cotton balls and little silver spiders glued all over it.  The fabric was not white, nor ivory, but a dingy bedsheet that's been sitting in grandma's closet for too long.  The sheer fugliness stood out against all the other FLOTUS's dresses on display.

Oh, did you see the Greensboro Lunch Counter show?  I was "in" it  :yum:

Hi,

Indeed we saw Michelle's dress.  Before we knew who's it was my wife mentioned that one does not look that pretty, I wonder who it is.  I looked at the shoes and said it had to be Obama's, they seemed to be much larger than the other women. 

We actually spent almost three hours just on the top floor, and yes we ate there.

regards,

Offline seabelle

• "she walked into the cave...she was not afraid"
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 11:53:40 AM »
This lunch counter:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/brown/history/6-legacy/freedom-struggle-2.html

The actual lunch counter from the Woolworth's sit-in is on display on the main level .... right side.

I just happened to mosey in at the beginning of one of their shows, sat in the audience and by virtue I was holding one of the original 4 menus being passed around......I was in the show (sat in the first seat).  Here's a video (I'm not in it!) from last fall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dgvFe3-vyE

The whole show was 20 minutes, and it was an awesome experience.  Only because I was a child of the 60's and remember feeling the pain for these people.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »
I loved Nancy Reagan's dress though.  :bow: She was tiny thing!!!!

I also thought Shelly O's dress was tacky.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:13:02 AM »
This lunch counter:

http://americanhistory.si.edu/brown/history/6-legacy/freedom-struggle-2.html

The actual lunch counter from the Woolworth's sit-in is on display on the main level .... right side.

I just happened to mosey in at the beginning of one of their shows, sat in the audience and by virtue I was holding one of the original 4 menus being passed around......I was in the show (sat in the first seat).  Here's a video (I'm not in it!) from last fall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dgvFe3-vyE

The whole show was 20 minutes, and it was an awesome experience.  Only because I was a child of the 60's and remember feeling the pain for these people.

Seabelle I also remember those days when the discussion of Civil Rights was verboten in schools in New Hampshire. My Jr. High school and later the High School.

We from time to time heard of the students at UNH headed out on freedom rides.  At one point 6-8 students went missing, when I asked my history teacher about this, this is some what of my memory remembers

"These kids knew full well that they what they were doing was dangerous, they had no business getting involved with a problem that far away. They have no one to blame with what ever happend to them, they took the risk and lost." 

Separate but equal was the mantra of the day.

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:57:56 AM »
When we went our favorite was the Letter's from the Front it was also very powerful.
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline lars1701c

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 01:35:27 PM »
I wanted to go see Mt Vernon on the Sunday after the rally but it was so crowded, we decided to go to the Holocaust museum. They have a temporary exhibit on propaganda, what was scary is that alot of what they said you can see happening in washington today.
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~ The late Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 to 2005