Author Topic: U.S. troop funds diverted to pet projects  (Read 534 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
U.S. troop funds diverted to pet projects
« on: October 16, 2009, 06:20:28 AM »
U.S. troop funds diverted to pet projects

Senators diverted $2.6 billion in funds in a defense spending bill to pet projects largely at the expense of accounts that pay for fuel, ammunition and training for U.S. troops, including those fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to an analysis.

Among the 778 such projects, known as earmarks, packed into the bill: $25 million for a new World War II museum at the University of New Orleans and $20 million to launch an educational institute named after the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, Massachusetts Democrat.

While earmarks are hardly new in Washington, "in 30 years on Capitol Hill, I never saw Congress mangle the defense budget as badly as this year," said Winslow Wheeler, a former Senate staffer who worked on defense funding and oversight for both Republicans and Democrats. He is now a senior fellow at the Center for Defense Information, an independent research organization.

MORE

:angryvillagers: :maddernhell: :shame:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: U.S. troop funds diverted to pet projects
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 06:31:35 AM »
This disturbs me greatly considering that when I go to Afghanistan next year it's gonna be a much hotter combat zone than Iraq was when I was there.   :thatsright:
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: U.S. troop funds diverted to pet projects
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 07:44:06 AM »
$20 million to launch an educational institute named after the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy

Given the number of times he jammed it up the asses of our men and women in uniform, I'm surprised it's not a statue of a guy in desert fatigues giving him the finger.

Also, given the typical Mass. construction "overruns" to union thugs, politicians, and mafia bosses (but I repeat myself), it'll end up being about ten times that much and falling apart in a year, much like the Big Dig.

Dear DUmmies--you love Ted so much you want to make an "institude" after him?  Pass around the hat.  There's enough knob-slobbering brain-deads on the Cape that'll fork that money up in a heartbeat.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford