Author Topic: It's the NL ongoing thread! will it be the phils and the cubs in the NLCS?  (Read 17350 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
To add to what I alluded to in the AL thread--Omir Santos is forcing a very difficult decision for Omar Minaya when Brian Schneider comes back from the DL.  Are they going to carry three catchers?  They'd have to cut someone else, and the leading candidate would be Gary Sheffield . . . who made an error on a simple fly ball to left field last night, then made up for it by driving in a run in the bottom of the first.

They could trade Ramon Castro, though I don't know to who . . .

But these problems--players playing good--are good to have.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

Since my last post, Brian Schneider has hurt a calf muscle, so he'll be on the DL longer.  Johan Santana got his second 1-0 win of the year tonight.  His ERA is 0.91--not as impressive as Zack Greinke, but he's in the AL, not in the NL.  In Santana's six starts, the Mets have scored twelve runs.  Yet, Santana's record is 4-1.  10 strikeouts tonight.  And, he's on my fantasy team in the "Conservatives 2009" league.  (I also have Derek Lowe, who looks as if he's going to get the win tonight against the Marlins.)  So is the Mets' closer, Francisco Rodriguez.   :-) :-) :-)

ETA:  The Mets placed Ollie Perez on the 15-day DL with patela tendonitis in his right knee.  It's the "Chien-Ming Wang Syndrome"--Get His Ass OUT Of The Rotation NOW!  They recalled Jon Niese, who isn't exactly lighting Buffalo on fire with his pitching--but Buffalo sucks as a whole right now.  They're 4-20, 15.5 games behind the Scranton/WB Yankees.  Niese goes against the Pirates and Jeff Karstens Friday night, then against the Braves Wednesday--a team that he absolutely dominated last year at Shea Stadium.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:21:36 AM by BlueStateSaint »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
KTAR is reporting that Melvin will be getting the heave-ho as soon as he lands in Phoenix.

A new manager and no Manny.

If this doesn't turn the D-backs around, nothing will.  :banghead:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

Niese may be going right back to Buffalo, as Tim Redding may be ready to come off the DL soon.  Tonight's game matters a whole bunch to Niese. 

Chase her.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
WHAT?  I go away, and my signature thread dies?

the nuances of the NLwest vs. the NL east are unexplored.

Offline BlueStateSaint

WHAT?  I go away, and my signature thread dies?

the nuances of the NLwest vs. the NL east are unexplored.

We didn't have a few guys--Reyes, Delgado, etc.  And the Dodgers didn't have to face Santana.

Chase her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

After two days of interleague, the NL record against the AL is 13-15.  And, almost on cue, here's an MLB.com article about this:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090524&content_id=4936936&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

As for the Mets, Omir Santos is really complicating the Mets' catching situation.  Brian Schneider should be back by next weekend.  Someone's gonna go--probably Ramon Castro.  But, with the way that injuries have been stacking up, they may just keep three catchers.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 04:25:40 AM by BlueStateSaint »

Chase her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

Might as well update this thread . . . Geez, I hope that whatever Dan Warthen did to Fernando Nieve stays done.  4-seamer in the low-to-mid 90s, 6 2/3 IP.  And Sean Green seems to have figured out what his problem was.  Now if Luis Castillo could make a game-saving play . . .  :banghead:

Chase her.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Killer bees attacked the left foul territory at Petco Park today during the Astros/Padres game.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline BlueStateSaint

Killer bees attacked the left foul territory at Petco Park today during the Astros/Padres game.

I saw that.  9th inning, 52-minute delay.  What was the buzz all about, anyway?

Chase her.

Offline formerlurker

Manny is back.  We are never going to catch the Dodgers. 

:bawl:

Offline Oriole Fan

• Player Hater
  • Probationary (Probie)

Did you see the interleague final numbers? AL won 137 games and AAANL won 114. Twenty Three game swing. Impressive.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!

Manny who?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

Well, the Mets and Braves traded RFs last night.  Ryan Church is starting for the Braves in Colorado, and Jeff Francoeur is wearing #12, starting in RF, and batting fifth in the Mets' lineup.  Both guys needed the change of scenery, even to a division rival (and the two will meet in Atlanta just after the ASB).  If Francoeur gets hot playing in front of the NY crowd, Omar looks like a genius.  Oh--because Francoeur is making about $500,000 more than Church is, the Braves also included cash considerations.  My take is that the Mets got hosed in this one, because Church is better offensively, running, and fielding.  Francoeur has a better arm. 

I hope it works for both teams.  Francoeur is a guy who's averaged 152 games in his last few seasons, so he'll be a hit in the clubhouse.  But, his attitude that he can hit whatever is pitched to him has led to his numbers dropping like a rock over the past year-and-a-half.  Church sat for a game about a month or so ago, complaining of "nausea" (which, considering his concussion last year, may have been the case), and riled a few of the Mets' vets.  But, time will tell.

Chase her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

The Mets loaded the bases against Jonny Cueto in the bottom of the first inning last night, and with one out, Francoeur got jammed inside on a pitch, but muscled it out over Joey Votto's head to plate two runs (2-4 overall).  No Redleg tried to go from first to third on a single hit to Francoeur.  Johan Santana was more vintage Santana than erratic Santana, and went seven IP for the shutout.  Mets win, 4-0.  Ryan Church was 0-4 for the Braves in their win (4-3) over the Rockies.

Chase her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

My team sucks.  The one reason to watch tonight is to see just how far Jon Niese has come this year.  Supposedly, he's refined his 2- and 4-seam fastballs.  We'll see tonight.

The only thing uglier than the Mets is the front office of the Mets.  Hopefully, the Wilpons will see that their policy of "no chain of command" leads to total chaos.  They really should sell the team.

Chase her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

Well, Niese did pretty good last night, going 7 innings, walking two, striking out three, and giving up four hits--and one run.  For some reason, the Mets suddenly had this fascination with something called the "home run," hitting three of them.  Niese did two things--1) Showed that he can mature into something big somewhere down the road, and 2) If the Mets were so inclined, he pumped up his trade value.  I hope they hang onto him. 

Chase her.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Re: It's the NL ongoing thread! will it be the phils and the cubs in the NLCS?
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »
Dodgers or Cards in the WS?
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi