Author Topic: White House backed release of Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Interesting since the Administration was angry over this, and Congress has investigated this release recently so I'm sure they're happy at being made fools of.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/white-house-backed-release-of-lockerbie-bomber-abdel-baset-al-megrahi/story-e6frg6so-1225896741041

White House backed release of Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi

White House backed release of Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi

Jason Allardyce and Tony Allen-Mills
July 26, 2010 12:00AM

THE US government secretly advised Scottish ministers it would be "far preferable" to free the Lockerbie bomber than jail him in Libya.

Correspondence obtained by The Sunday Times reveals the Obama administration considered compassionate release more palatable than locking up Abdel Baset al-Megrahi in a Libyan prison.

The intervention, which has angered US relatives of those who died in the attack, was made by Richard LeBaron, deputy head of the US embassy in London, a week before Megrahi was freed in August last year on grounds that he had terminal cancer.

The document, acquired by a well-placed US source, threatens to undermine US President Barack Obama's claim last week that all Americans were "surprised, disappointed and angry" to learn of Megrahi's release.

-Continued at the link-
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Is this the same guy that BP was being blamed for getting released?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies

Yes, he is.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade

Yes!
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Chris_

Ok thanks.  That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure I had the right guy.

It's just lovely how corrupt our government is.  They were pointing fingers at BP for having this man released, when they knew damn well it wasn't BP who made a "deal" to have him freed.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12

Oh boy is this next week gonna be fun! :fuelfire:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

Yes, it will be. 

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Ok thanks.  That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure I had the right guy.

It's just lovely how corrupt our government is.  They were pointing fingers at BP for having this man released, when they knew damn well it wasn't BP who made a "deal" to have him freed.

I think in the end, both the government and BP are losers.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
From the article:

Last week, a succession of British politicians - including Mr MacAskill, Mr Salmond and former justice secretary Jack Straw - delivered a diplomatic snub to the senators by refusing to fly across the Atlantic to answer questions at the Senate's hearing on Thursday (US time) about their role in Megrahi's release.

This is what happens when you shit all over your friends, Barry. It puts you and your administration, along with YOUR CONGRESS, on notice that insults work two ways.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Airwolf

This would be great campain fodder if not for the lack of balls on the Republican side
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Pat

• Just Off Probation
Re: White House backed release of Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 04:21:33 PM »
kinda makes sense really.....the Admn wants cap and tax, with increased fuel prices. BP needs somewhere to go to drill that ain't here.....broker a deal with Libya.
domestic production decreases = prices increase......simple enough

Offline chitownchica