Author Topic: ACLU: Sex in Restroom Stalls Is Private  (Read 5333 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
ACLU: Sex in Restroom Stalls Is Private
« on: January 16, 2008, 07:11:44 AM »
ACLU: Sex in Restroom Stalls Is Private

ST. PAUL, Minn. - In an effort to help Sen. Larry Craig, the American Civil Liberties Union is arguing that people who have sex in public bathrooms have an expectation of privacy.

Craig, of Idaho, is asking the Minnesota Court of Appeals to let him withdraw his guilty plea to disorderly conduct stemming from a bathroom sex sting at the Minneapolis airport.

The ACLU filed a brief Tuesday supporting Craig. It cited a Minnesota Supreme Court ruling 38 years ago that found that people who have sex in closed stalls in public restrooms "have a reasonable expectation of privacy."

That means the state cannot prove Craig was inviting an undercover officer to have sex in public, the ACLU wrote.

:mental:

MORE
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

Re: ACLU: Sex in Restroom Stalls Is Private
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 07:21:39 AM »
Well, yay :banghead:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:31:28 AM »
Yeah, now instead of telling people to "get a room", we can just tell them to "get a stall".
 :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:42:06 AM »
Yeah, now instead of telling people to "get a room", we can just tell them to "get a stall".
 :whatever:

I wonder if this could backfire on him since couldn't the undercover have expected the same 'right to privacy' while he tends to what the bathroom is really there for?

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:12:28 AM »
I wonder if they would claim that if someone was reading Bible verses aloud in an airplane bathroom?  ::)
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 08:14:16 AM »
The ACLU gets wackier and wackier
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline MPCOA

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 08:17:16 AM »
Somehow, I am doubting that they would defend a legally married man and woman if they had sex in a stall.
Don't suffer from PTSD, go out and cause it

Embrace the Hate

"Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return." Gen. Colin Powell

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 08:43:25 AM »
Not even close. No one has REP in a public area. Public restrooms are just that: PUBLIC. This is yet more proof that the ACLU exists only to run down our country and society. They are part of the fifth column.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 08:56:14 AM »
Not even close. No one has REP in a public area. Public restrooms are just that: PUBLIC. This is yet more proof that the ACLU exists only to run down our country and society. They are part of the fifth column.

Closer than you think.  I'm sure I cannot find a link because I don't remember any of the vital information, but there was a drug case that involved a restroom stall. The judge found that IF the stall had a door and IF the stall door had a latch, the person inhabiting the stall had a reasonable expectation of privacy.  The ruling then went on to define how an individual seeking privacy in a public area, such as a restroom stall, renders said space a temporary, but necessary, private quarter.

The ACLU probably knows of this case and plans to use it.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 09:38:55 AM »
so the ACLU is helping Craig?? have they gone off key???
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 11:04:48 AM »
Closer than you think.  I'm sure I cannot find a link because I don't remember any of the vital information, but there was a drug case that involved a restroom stall. The judge found that IF the stall had a door and IF the stall door had a latch, the person inhabiting the stall had a reasonable expectation of privacy.  The ruling then went on to define how an individual seeking privacy in a public area, such as a restroom stall, renders said space a temporary, but necessary, private quarter.
Interesting. Here's a similar case, but the door was unlatched:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=wi&vol=wisctapp2%5C2003%5C02-1008&invol=1

"NETTESHEIM, P.J. The State appeals from a trial court order granting Juan M. Orta's motion to suppress evidence of drug possession. The court ruled that Orta had a legitimate expectation of privacy in the public rest room stall where he engaged in a drug transaction with another individual and therefore Orta had standing to challenge the search.

¶2. We reverse the trial court's order. We conclude that an individual who occupies a public restroom stall does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy when he or she occupies it with another individual, leaves the door slightly ajar and unlatched, and evinces no indication that the stall is being used for its intended purpose."

So a partitioned toilet is considered a single use facility. If there a re two people in it, it's assumed it's not being used for toilet purposes thus losing the REP.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 11:09:07 AM by Uhhuh35 »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 11:12:45 AM »
Interesting. Here's a similar case, but the door was unlatched:
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=wi&vol=wisctapp2%5C2003%5C02-1008&invol=1

"NETTESHEIM, P.J. The State appeals from a trial court order granting Juan M. Orta's motion to suppress evidence of drug possession. The court ruled that Orta had a legitimate expectation of privacy in the public rest room stall where he engaged in a drug transaction with another individual and therefore Orta had standing to challenge the search.

¶2. We reverse the trial court's order. We conclude that an individual who occupies a public restroom stall does not have a reasonable expectation of privacy when he or she occupies it with another individual, leaves the door slightly ajar and unlatched, and evinces no indication that the stall is being used for its intended purpose."

So a partitioned toilet is considered a single use facility. If there a re two people in it, it's assumed it's not being used for toilet purposes thus losing the REP.

I guess it is real important to remember to use side-by-side stalls, lock the doors, and do your business under the partition.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 12:33:42 PM »
people who have sex in public bathrooms have an expectation of privacy

Once again, the ACLU desperately tries to convince us that 1 = 0.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 01:00:17 PM »

good heavens, I was certainly hoping so.  it certainly doesn't make sense if you don't have a REP in a bathroom stall.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 04:47:30 PM »
I wonder how the DUmpmonkies are going to react to this, The ACLU helping out a Repug?
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 04:57:21 PM »
I wonder how the DUmpmonkies are going to react to this, The ACLU helping out a Repug?
My guess is they'll turn him into some folk hero of the left and he'll run on a dem ticket in a few years as a model against oppression of gays. :whatever:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 05:17:13 PM »
The ACLU gets wackier and wackier

This was a righteous suit and a proper result.  Craig acted gay, big freaking deal.   That isn't any reason to arrest him.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 05:33:36 PM »

they were already suffering from cognitive dissonance after half of them attacked a homosexual
as "perverted".  So I am thinking their confusion will only get more intense . . . and therefore, more
entertaining for us, of course.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »
we need to forcibly disband the ACLU .. it serves no public good.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 01:16:55 PM »
Everyone knows that when James Madison was writing the Constitution he tore off a piece and slid it under the bathroom stall next to him to solicit a glory-hole blow-job from Ben Franklin.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 01:20:14 PM »
Everyone knows that when James Madison was writing the Constitution he tore off a piece and slid it under the bathroom stall next to him to solicit a glory-hole blow-job from Ben Franklin.

What was Madison and Franklin doing in Wyoming?